Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“New tv”

• Oled 45 votes
      85%
    • Qled 8 votes
      15%

(53 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9BA39C26-7AFF-4441-AA0F-583BD17FFA65 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 4 years ago

I’ve had luck with Sony for my last couple tv’s, how do they measure up?

#52 4 years ago

So in the end, if you had good luck with Brand X, you support them. On the other hand, if you had good luck with Brand Y, you support them. Bad luck with either Brand X or Brand Y means they are shit.

Ok, got it

#53 4 years ago

I bought a 65in LG oled B7 two years ago and it’s amazing!

#54 4 years ago

I’ve got a POS Samsung fridge ice maker as well, won’t go two weeks without jamming up and needing defrost. Unfortunately my model wasn’t part of the class. And they just deny there’s an issue online and no dice outside the warranty period. I’m not buying Samsung appliances again, that’s for sure.

Added over 4 years ago:

Oops, looks like my fridge is part of the class action after all (along with all the other french door models from a several year period). Whether or not they ever offer a decent fix I hope the trial lawyers soak them good, hate to think of Samsung profiting by selling this POS.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So in the end, if you had good luck with Brand X, you support them. On the other hand, if you had good luck with Brand Y, you support them. Bad luck with either Brand X or Brand Y means they are shit.
    Ok, got it

Like the man said, any company will have some units fail. It’s all about how the problem is handled. Treat me like an idiot and pretend there’s not an obvious defect with your product and you’ve lost my business.

#56 4 years ago

My 55” Sony is 4 years old. Simple 1080p. Would it be worth replacing it with Uhd? No fast internet available. I’ve tried satellite internet and it’s horrible. Stuck with Directv.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Yeah its garbage. You sit through all the phone calls and waiting on hold that I did for almost 3 months. My bad experience is with a TV. I dont own their appliances but every person that listens to me and doesn't buy a TV from them is a win for me.

That's shitty you had to deal with that but doesn't mean everything they make is junk. The warranty on all my products was only 1 year, I bought the 4 year plan through the retailer. I've only had to use it once in the last 1 1/2 years, since we moved in.That was on the fridge, which was a floor model I got a great deal on. I also bought a 3 year extended warranty on my tv and its been great since we moved in. If it craps out after that, I wont be thrilled but the new ones will be worth upgrading anyway.

I bought one LG tv and weeks after the warranty expired, it decided to have a 2" pink vertical line from top to bottom. It is off to the side so its still a good tv for gaming for my daughters. Not going to scrap a 65" tv.

Before Samsung, I was a huge Sony guy and still have a couple of them but they have priced me out on most new tv's.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

That's shitty you had to deal with that but doesn't mean everything they make is junk. The warranty on all my products was only 1 year, I bought the 4 year plan through the retailer. I've only had to use it once in the last 1 1/2 years, since we moved in.That was on the fridge, which was a floor model I got a great deal on. I also bought a 3 year extended warranty on my tv and its been great since we moved in. If it craps out after that, I wont be thrilled but the new ones will be worth upgrading anyway.
    I bought one LG tv and weeks after the warranty expired, it decided to have a 2" pink vertical line from top to bottom. It is off to the side so its still a good tv for gaming for my daughters. Not going to scrap a 65" tv.
    Before Samsung, I was a huge Sony guy and still have a couple of them but they have priced me out on most new tv's.

I never said everything they make is junk. What I am saying is I had a bad one and they made my life hell getting it replaced. That was their choice. My choice is now to try and cost them sales.

#59 4 years ago

Buy from Costco, better warranty, in home service. Buy a samsung, u wont regret

#60 4 years ago

I went TV shopping three weeks ago and the Best Buy rep said Sony has the best products on the market these days. I was looking at the 950G but decided to wait until the new ones comes out. I purchased a Samsung in 2014 and it's been awesome TV.

#61 4 years ago

Keep the plasma. I'm waiting for microled. OLED isn't perfect and can get some nasty burn-in. OLED is supposed to get a lot cheaper next year. I might bite at a comparable price to LED. I'm not paying a premium for it.

#62 4 years ago

When do new model of TVs come out?

#63 4 years ago

I think ces is January and announced then.

I asked sales guy and his thoughts are there won’t be a bigger oled for 4K as the move is made to 8k.

However yes prices will come down, they always do.

The two units I’m looking at are down 3k each from 2-3 months ago already.

#64 4 years ago

Have a 20 year old Commercial 55” NEC plasma, runs 24/7, trying to decide what to replace it with, Does anyone have any input on the new NEC’s?

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Absolutely false. Samsung didn't get to be #1 by making shit TV’s. My upstairs Samsung is 7 years old today and it has been playing 16-18 hours a day for seven years now day in and day out and still looks awesome. I also have one that is two years old in the basement that is awesome.

My 12 year old Samsung plasma still has a great picture. The only downside is the heat it puts out.

#66 4 years ago

75" X900F for $1549 and 65" for $899

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/518282

Also have 65C9 and 55B9 for $1599 & $949

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/518273

#67 4 years ago

So here is the question, I need a new TV for the garage area of the game house. Something super small, just to have football or baseball on in the background. I don’t have a lot of space, so thinking 24-30 inch. I wanted 4K but I am having trouble finding 4K in this size. Any suggestions?

#68 4 years ago

Also consider the light in your room. Oled looks great in a darker room, however I opted for a 75Q9fn.

I have windows everywhere, plus 2 10ft sliders and an 8ft skylight right above my viewing area. The anti-glare screen and high bright level just destroys all the unwanted intrusions.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

My 12 year old Samsung plasma still has a great picture. The only downside is the heat it puts out.

They definitely put out some heat dont they? Kind of a good thing in the winter months but not so much in the summer months.

#70 4 years ago

Picking up a new 65" today. The only place we have space for it is on an east-facing wall, so unfortunately it will get a few hours of sun every morning, I know this is bad for an LED screen but we don't have any choice. Short of adding curtains or drapes, what do you owners who have TV's in the sun recommend to keep the sunlight off of it?

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Picking up a new 65" today. The only place we have space for it is on an east-facing wall, so unfortunately it will get a few hours of sun every morning, I know this is bad for an LED screen but we don't have any choice. Short of adding curtains or drapes, what do you owners who have TV's in the sun recommend to keep the sunlight off of it?

Curtains, drapes, mini blinds,

#72 4 years ago

Best OLED deal I've seen yet! If you live in GA or FL:

https://slickdeals.net/f/13642531-lg-oled65c8pua-1298-88?page=5#commentsBox

1300 for 65 inch OLED! I bought my 4 years ago = 4k!

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

So here is the question, I need a new TV for the garage area of the game house. Something super small, just to have football or baseball on in the background. I don’t have a lot of space, so thinking 24-30 inch. I wanted 4K but I am having trouble finding 4K in this size. Any suggestions?

Don’t worry too much about that. For a tv at that size 4k doesn’t really do much for you anyway compared to 1080p.

#74 4 years ago

I like Sony, besides a great picture they still include a lot of different inputs.

#75 4 years ago
    Quoted from Oaken:

Don’t worry too much about that. For a tv at that size 4k doesn’t really do much for you anyway compared to 1080p.

I am having a hard time even finding 1080P in that size offering.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

Motorized blinds on a timer.

#77 4 years ago

Sony's video processing is second to none. If watching films is what you mainly do with your tv I would take a Sony OLED over a LG OLED.

#78 4 years ago

Well you guys have convinced me the c9 Oled is the way to go. The qled would be a step down in some ways from my plasma and yeah the 8k is useless for many years.

Seems like the c9 can do some pretty awesome upscaling anyways which is the q900 big selling feature.

The oled while not as bright as qled will still be brighter than the plasma I’ve been used to plus way less reflections. The plasma was pretty bad for that.

I just wish there wasn’t such a price jump from the 65” panel to the 77” but the 65” will just be to small for my great room and especially at a 4K resolution. Time to sell a couple pins to pay for it I guess lol.

Still keeping the plasma btw we just made a second family room in our house for it and putting the new oled in the main great room.

Txs for all the great discussion and opinions, helped a lot.

Ps. Samsung washers and dryers are shit lol

#79 4 years ago

I hate to interject on posts like these as they can be very polarizing so I'll be short. As a guy that had Pioneer Kuro ( sad day when It died) and still have a Panasonic Plasma, the only TV that finally comes close to these is the Sony Oled (I currently have a 65"). I say that after getting and still have an LG Oled (55") which is excellent and still used daily. I also bear in mind that even though the Sony and LG are the same panel, The processor in the Sony is far far better way less shake and judder then my LG. Don't worry about brightness that really only matters in the store. Again I was not happy with any LED TV compared to plasma until I got my OLED. Just my 2 cents.

#80 4 years ago

Congrats on your decision, you picked wisely. You will be future proofed for years with hdmi 2.1 in all ports and the alpha 9 in the c9 is wicked fast and a nice upgrade from earlier versions which host the alpha 7 processor.

You will not be hard done by with the lg 77

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I would avoid samsung. They use cheap components, which don't last very long. LG TVs seem to last a very long time.

I bought a 42" LCD LG about 3 years ago from costco. I now have a loose LED this past month giving me a hot spot smack dab in the middle. I've been burned by other LG products in the past, you'd think I'd learn my lesson. My current phone (galaxy s8), my last phone (galaxy s5), fridge, washer and dryer are all samsung, not a single issue. My fridge and washer/dryer are a good 16 years old too.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

Congrats on your decision, you picked wisely. You will be future proofed for years with hdmi 2.1 in all ports and the alpha 9 in the c9 is wicked fast and a nice upgrade from earlier versions which host the alpha 7 processor.
    You will not be hard done by with the lg 77

Txs! You will have to come to my vrpa event next year and check it out. I think it’s in April.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I bought a 42" LCD LG about 3 years ago from costco. I now have a loose LED this past month giving me a hot spot smack dab in the middle. I've been burned by other LG products in the past, you'd think I'd learn my lesson. My current phone (galaxy s8), my last phone (galaxy s5), fridge, washer and dryer are all samsung, not a single issue. My fridge and washer/dryer are a good 16 years old too.

The two Samsung LCDs I owned both had light leakage around the perimeter.
    Samsung told me it was normal even though the picture was garbage on both sets.

I never had an issue with Pioneer or Panasonic plasmas.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I bought a 42" LCD LG about 3 years ago from costco. I now have a loose LED this past month giving me a hot spot smack dab in the middle. I've been burned by other LG products in the past, you'd think I'd learn my lesson.

Rip it apart and fix that. The first time you do it is just like soldering in a pinball machine the first time. It is scary. But they are just devices. Lay down a moving blanket on a table, lay it screen down on that, and start unscrewing.

Now the reason I'm so caviler about it is that you will never be happy with the TV again like that. At that point, I consider it junk. So it will either end up being total junk, or you will fix it. Maybe a bit of two sided tape, and poof, no more hot spot where the light moved. And if you fix it, you will feel like a hero. It will be your favorite TV, because you will have done the repair.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Rip it apart and fix that. The first time you do it is just like soldering in a pinball machine the first time. It is scary. But they are just devices. Lay down a moving blanket on a table, lay it screen down on that, and start unscrewing.
    Now the reason I'm so caviler about it is that you will never be happy with the TV again like that. At that point, I consider it junk. So it will either end up being total junk, or you will fix it. Maybe a bit of two sided tape, and poof, no more hot spot where the light moved. And if you fix it, you will feel like a hero. It will be your favorite TV, because you will have done the repair.

This is usually my philosophy for everything. From all my cars, appliances, pins obviously, to the entire lot of closeout/inoperable stuff I bought from my last company when they were closing down their warehouse. When you get most things open, you tend to find that they aren't really all that complicated. I think the only thing that really gave me a hard time was my wife's finger nail curing lamp. Never got it fixed but it was still fun trying and seeing the inside of it. Got a dryer with a bad heating element, an dead plasma TV and a '76 Far Out I need to mess with at some point.

#86 4 years ago

I’m still rocking a 52 inch Sony XBR4 in the game room. Best sound of any TV I’ve owned so far that didn’t require a sound bar, etc.

9BA39C26-7AFF-4441-AA0F-583BD17FFA65 (resized).jpeg9BA39C26-7AFF-4441-AA0F-583BD17FFA65 (resized).jpeg
    #87 4 years ago

Lg oled for the win.....i bought a used (1 month old, with receipt) one for $1,000 off craigslist. Then get an apple 4k streamer=heaven

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

considered it.. relative is giving me their old 42" so i guess i have nothing to lose. still ive watched youtube videos and it is a LOT of layers and screws.

#90 4 years ago

I own two Panasonic plasmas and both still work. One is 15 years old and the other is one of the last runs of plasmas.

I am waiting for something better or a bigger change to come along before my next purchase.

Good luck with your purchase.

#91 4 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

considered it.. relative is giving me their old 42" so i guess i have nothing to lose. still ive watched youtube videos and it is a LOT of layers and screws.

Even better. You have a replacement in case you totally mess up. Don't get caught up in the entire project, just worry about the steps you're on. If you want to be really crazy, grab a roll of blue tape (painters tape). For every screw you take out, tape it right near where you took it out. But in reality, most of the screws will be the exact same size at each layer. Plus, you don't really need to take the glass out, you are only going after the lighting issue.

Just concentrate on the step you are on. Getting the TV in a spot you can safely take it apart. Pad under the screen. Take out the screws that hold on the back panel. I promise you that if you can take anything apart and put it back together, this will be easy. The one tool you will want is a magnetic tip screwdriver. The screws will be down in holes, and you need to get them out of the holes, or they will get lost... or worse, fall inside once you take the back off. Just go for it.

PS: Yes, I'm speaking from experience. My 2007 Samsung 46 inch LCD was the first TV I took apart, and the problem was crappy capacitors from back then. It was a thrill to go down to Radio Shack (back when you could), buy new ones, and solder them in. The TV was able to start when I was done and I still own it in a second bedroom.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

I’m still rocking a 52 inch Sony XBR4 in the game room. Best sound of any TV I’ve owned so far that didn’t require a sound bar, etc.[quoted image]

I have same tv and it has a ton of hours on it..... still looks pretty good too.

#93 4 years ago

I'm going to buy Sony TV for my next purchase. I have owned Samsung TV for years but I think the 950G is excellent TV for the money. I have been watching reviews and the Sony has been the choice for LED TV

#94 4 years ago

I have two Samsung Q90R and the picture is great. I recently built a home theater and went with a 150 inch screen and a Epson Cinema 4010. That picture is also amazing.

#95 4 years ago

I have a 52” sony Bravia kdl-52w4100. I’ll probably buy a sony 65” 4K next.

#96 4 years ago

I have plasma 65 and 60 inch for movie and game room - for one reason - it does not use back lighting, and can present a perfect black. OLED is by far the best way to go over LED/QLED 4K TVs. The only blocker is price. If that isn't a big issue then get the OLED (LG or Sony). They are the best TVs on the market right now and it isn't even close.

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/2900f3a9c4f444bd9647a264dcddd407

When I spend money on my next TV it is OLED or nothing. I don't care how cheap the QLEDs are.

#97 4 years ago

Lg oled's are NOT expensive if you buy last years model cheap on craigslist....people have to have the latest tech and will sell last years for pennies on the dollar. Thing is, the technology doesnt really change...only small differences/improvements in the processors....definetly not worth the extra $2,000 for this years model as opposed to last years imo..

#98 4 years ago

OLED's still are expensive if you are looking in the 75" + inch range unfortunately

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I’ve got a POS Samsung fridge ice maker as well, won’t go two weeks without jamming up and needing defrost. Unfortunately my model wasn’t part of the class. And they just deny there’s an issue online and no dice outside the warranty period. I’m not buying Samsung appliances again, that’s for sure.

Added today:
    Oops, looks like my fridge is part of the class action after all (along with all the other french door models from a several year period). Whether or not they ever offer a decent fix I hope the trial lawyers soak them good, hate to think of Samsung profiting by selling this POS.

That my Samsung fridge. I had to replace the ice maker and it went out again. I had to buy an external ice maker. Glad I read this thread.

Adding to the topic, I got a new tv for the game room last year and used rtings.com, it has been referenced a couple of times in this thread. By far the best site for information on a television. Their advice is Gospel and not based on fanboyism.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from madtown:

Lg oled's are NOT expensive if you buy last years model cheap on craigslist....people have to have the latest tech and will sell last years for pennies on the dollar. Thing is, the technology doesnt really change...only small differences/improvements in the processors....definetly not worth the extra $2,000 for this years model as opposed to last years imo..

Checked cl, kijiji and fb for fun. Not much for used lg oleds, couple of 55” b6 , one with a dead pixel and one with a logo burn in. 300 and 800.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tv/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.