Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by RWH
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“New tv”

• Oled 45 votes
      85%
    • Qled 8 votes
      15%

(53 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9BA39C26-7AFF-4441-AA0F-583BD17FFA65 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

Planning on buying a new tv.

Just curious if anyone has bought the Samsung qled q80, q90 or q900?

Also the lg oled c9 or b9?

Can’t make up my mind although the c9 seems to be the highest reviewed.

Coming from a pioneer elite plasma 60” btw.

#2 4 years ago

Personally, I would avoid samsung. They use cheap components, which don't last very long. LG TVs seem to last a very long time.

#3 4 years ago

OLED is far superior to QLED... i have the 65" and the picture is outsatanding

#4 4 years ago

They are all good and way better than the one you have now. They just hype up the newest models and stick a big price tag on them for the rich guys that have to have the best. This time next year the best tv right now will be old news and hundreds of dollars cheaper. Its all a game to squeeze money out of people is all it is.

#5 4 years ago

I’ve had the C9 for 3 months now, paired it with a denon 2500 and No complaints so far.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I would avoid samsung. They use cheap components, which don't last very long. LG TVs seem to last a very long time.

Absolutely false. Samsung didn't get to be #1 by making shit TV’s. My upstairs Samsung is 7 years old today and it has been playing 16-18 hours a day for seven years now day in and day out and still looks awesome. I also have one that is two years old in the basement that is awesome.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

it has been playing 16-18 hours a day

You spend over half your day watching TV?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

You spend over half your day watching TV?

No i spend all day and all nite working my ass off. Its just on from early in the morning until late at night being watched by other people or being used for background noise. I hardly ever watch TV.

#9 4 years ago

My wife just got a 43" Samsung OLED TV that was on sale at
    Costco and its really nice! Very clear picture. Every time I
    walk by it, I go 'wow'. Don't watch much TV myself but if
    I did I'd buy one for myself.
    Steve

#10 4 years ago

F**K Samsung. They used.to make great products and back them up. Those days are gone. If you have a problem they will drive you insane. I will never buy another one of their TVs at any price.

#11 4 years ago

I've been thinking about replacing my 6 year sharp (although it doesn't really need replacing) with a new 4K. I will probably go with the Sony 95/950G series. (Mostly because the Sony LED cost twice as much

If you prefer Samsung, there is no reason to buy the 900 series Samsung unless you get one heck of a deal. I would go with the Q90 if you can afford it as the processor and light control are a significant improvement over the Q80.

Be aware that in the store, the blue level is increased on the Samsung TVs. This is a marketing thing as people tend to perceive the bluer picture as a better picture. But if you notice carefully on skin tones, they don't quite look right.

Also the burn-in issue on OLED has not yet been fully resolved. In the next 1-2 years, there will be a new manufacturing process for OLED where the matrix is applied to the glass with an ink-jet like printer. This will significantly reduce the price of OLED.

#12 4 years ago

This is not even close or should be a question. I've been a tv nut forever and I've NEVER been this impressed with a tv ever. That tv is

OLED

That's it.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Costco and its really nice! Very clear picture. Every time I
    walk by it, I go 'wow'. Don't watch much TV myself but if
    I did I'd buy one for myself.
    Steve

That wasn't OLED. They don't make OLED smaller than 55

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

Costco
    Steve

Sure it isn't QLED? QLED is Samsung's marketing play off OLED and is their better LED with a local dimming array.

#15 4 years ago

I keep flip flopping but I think coming from plasma I just won’t be happy enough with a qled. I like the idea of ai upscaling in the q900 but not sure if sacrificing in the blacks, contrast and viewing angle makes up for it. The 8k is a cool brag but content is years away.

In 12 years we haven’t had any burn in with the plasma so I would suspect with same viewing habits we should be fine with oled and burn in risk.

The 77” c9 and the 82” q900 are on sale right now near me at same price also. Both have come down a few thousand in last couple months so perfect timing.

#16 4 years ago

Check the charts on screen size vs. viewing distance. If the screen is too large, or you are too close, the picture can become pixelated.

#17 4 years ago

QLED is fancy marketing.

OLED TVs use an entirely different manufacturing process involving organic, individual pixels that can be on or off individually.

QLED is a nicer version of the same old edge-lit LED TVs we’ve seen for years.

Black levels are Kuro quality on OLED TVs; no crushing, it’s really remarkable. (Assuming you have it Pro calibrated obviously)

I’ve got a Panasonic P65ZT60; their flagship and last off the line. The newer OLEDs come closer than I’ve ever seen. You won’t be happy with QLED

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Absolutely false. Samsung didn't get to be #1 by making shit TV’s.

Samsung has plead guilty to price fixing and for that reason I have never purchased a Samsung since.

#19 4 years ago

I drove myself crazy the last few months.... here is my reco....

Pick size first.....
    Is it your main tv or some tv in another room that won’t be watched all the time...

If it is main tv, and oled at the size you want is in budget, pick oled.

If going into LCD land... so many choices.... I ended up getting a 65inch Vizio M from bestbuy for 650 and it looks great.... 90 dimming zone model. This is not my main tv. It is crazy how cheap TVs have become over the years. Is it the best.. nope..... does it look great for the dollars, yes indeed. I also looked at the Sony 900f which upscale better then the Vizio...and just seemed to be an all around good tv.

#20 4 years ago

Ditto on the OLED sentiments. Have enjoyed a LG 55" C8 in the office, a LG 77" C8 in the game room, a Panasonic VT60 in the garage and my favorite is the Sony master series OLED, A9F (have this in the master bedroom in a 65" model, although haven't had personal experience with this year's model - A9G). All professionally calibrated and amazing results. The Sony outputs a better picture IMO, but negligible. The Sony Android operating system is harder to use when compared to the LG (according to my wife).

Interestingly enough, we were cruising around Best Buy tonight looking at Doorbuster Samsung's and indeed, they do not come close to OLED picture quality. They are bright as hell, but not as accurate. Understanding this is all subjective, but if I'm going to spend the cash, I'm going with the best on the market at the time. I took this approach with the Panny years ago and today's OLED's are finally coming close to similar black levels.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from lancestorm:

Samsung has plead guilty to price fixing and for that reason I have never purchased a Samsung since.

Thats fine but that was 14 years ago and it doesn't mean that their TV’s are full of garbage components. Im not saying Samsung is the best but they are far from garbage.

#22 4 years ago

I just got a lg c9 55 tv and its awesome. I still have my 8500 Samsung plasma in the living room and I find the oled an upgrade in many ways. The alpha 9 processor is great and the gsync is insane for smooth gaming with very low lag. 2.1 hdmi will future proof your tv and ps5 is rumored to be 2.1. Say hello to 4K gaming @120 hrz.

C9 77....awesome, go for it!

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

F**K Samsung. They used.to make great products and back them up. Those days are gone. If you have a problem they will drive you insane. I will never buy another one of their TVs at any price.

That's such garbage. I have all Samsung everything from my cell phone to my fridge. I've never had any issue with service. A few months ago they just came and replaced the entire LCD display in my fridge. No questions asked.

LG is total junk, thankfully I bought extended warranty on the TV I bought. Paid $2200, used it for a year and a few days, got a full refund and got to keep it to boot. Still have it, it has a pink vertical line but hey its 65" and a perfect gaming TV now for free.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Absolutely false. Samsung didn't get to be #1 by making shit TV’s. My upstairs Samsung is 7 years old today and it has been playing 16-18 hours a day for seven years now day in and day out and still looks awesome. I also have one that is two years old in the basement that is awesome.

Actually that is false. They have different levels of quality built into the same exact TV. Do the research and you'll understand real quick. I swore by samsung for nearly a decade. TV's, refrigerators, washers, driers, etc. The last TV was crap (learned my first point the hard way), my last refrigerator was crap (just look up ice makers there) and our washer and dryer are crap.

Samsung used to be good.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Actually that is false. They have different levels of quality built into the same exact TV. Do the research and you'll understand real quick. I swore by samsung for nearly a decade. TV's, refrigerators, washers, driers, etc. The last TV was crap (learned my first point the hard way), my last refrigerator was crap (just look up ice makers there) and our washer and dryer are crap.
    Samsung used to be good.

Our washer/dryer are great. Dishwasher is fantastic, gas range great, microwave and double oven amazing, fridge, the coolest thing ever, all 6 TV's fantastic. Cell phone is smashed into pieces and still works. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more products and I can control them all from my phone. Even the range which is really odd..

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

That's such garbage. I have all Samsung everything from my cell phone to my fridge. I've never had any issue with service. A few months ago they just came and replaced the entire LCD display in my fridge. No questions asked.
    LG is total junk, thankfully I bought extended warranty on the TV I bought. Paid $2200, used it for a year and a few days, got a full refund and got to keep it to boot. Still have it, it has a pink vertical line but hey its 65" and a perfect gaming TV now for free.

Samsung replaced it or the company that you bought it from did? Also assume under warranty too. My fridge has had the ice maker replaced 3 times, CPU twice, thermostat once and something else I cant recall. All under warranty. Ice maker went out 2 months outside of warranty when the ice maker was 6 months old. Told me I was SOL basically.

LG gave full refund on a year old TV and let you keep the TV? Damn, what else did they need to do to provide good service for you?

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Our washer/dryer are great. Dishwasher is fantastic, gas range great, microwave and double oven amazing, fridge, the coolest thing ever, all 6 TV's fantastic. Cell phone is smashed into pieces and still works. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more products and I can control them all from my phone. Even the range which is really odd..

Lucky you. Our washer self destructed when washing a blanket as it was designed for. They got class action sued. I paid 1500 for it and got 200 from the judgment. Before that, you guessed it, SOL.

Ice maker - https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/samsung-refrigerator-class-action-enters-mediation/

Yeah, a company that needs a class action to service known defective issues is one I'd recommend.... Your just lucky if there cut backs haven't hit your products. Maybe in CA the consumer laws are helping. In the US, just crap now.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Samsung replaced it or the company that you bought it from did? Also assume under warranty too. My fridge has had the ice maker replaced 3 times, CPU twice, thermostat once and something else I cant recall. All under warranty. Ice maker went out 2 months outside of warranty when the ice maker was 6 months old. Told me I was SOL basically.
    LG gave full refund on a year old TV and let you keep the TV? Damn, what else did they need to do to provide good service for you?

Build a $2200 tv that lasts longer than 370 days.

As for repairs, yes, the company I bought it from did, though it was with Samsung involved, as they called me before and after the repair to ask if I was happy.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Build a $2200 tv that lasts longer than 370 days.
    As for repairs, yes, the company I bought it from did, though it was with Samsung involved, as they called me before and after the repair to ask if I was happy.

They gave you your money back after a year and let you keep the TV. That is by definition good service. Bad service is doing nothing. Understand the difference?

Any company can have a bad product. What they do when it fails describes them.

Here a riddle. You say Samsung is great and LG isnt because a product failed for LG. So, didn't your LCD fail in your fridge? Why the hypococy? Shouldn't by your logic Samsung fair the same judgment as LG? Both had failures. One company fixed it (under warranty), the other just gave you the product for free.

#30 4 years ago

Does anyone make a good 43” television?

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Planning on buying a new tv.
    Just curious if anyone has bought the Samsung qled q80, q90 or q900?
    Also the lg oled c9 or b9?
    Can’t make up my mind although the c9 seems to be the highest reviewed.
    Coming from a pioneer elite plasma 60” btw.

What do you watch on your TV? How far will you be sitting away from it? What kind of features does your TV need? Do you stream, or get your connection from a cable?

There are a lot of variables to find the "right" TV -not just a question of OLED versus QLED.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

They gave you your money back after a year and let you keep the TV. That is by definition good service. Bad service is doing nothing. Understand the difference?
    Any company can have a bad product. What they do when it fails describes them.
    Here a riddle. You say Samsung is great and LG isnt because a product failed for LG. So, didn't your LCD fail in your fridge? Why the hypococy? Shouldn't by your logic Samsung fair the same judgment as LG? Both had failures. One company fixed it (under warranty), the other just gave you the product for free.

Lol, relax man.

I bought the extended warranty through an aftermarket company. They sent two morons to check out my tv and I received a check 2 weeks later. Keeping the tv was a bonus indeed but Im not sure that was intended.

#33 4 years ago

I have a c9. What bugs me is there are horizontal lines on bright flat colors

#34 4 years ago

My LG OLED has been one of the best electronics purchases I’ve ever made. Fantastic picture and a decent UI. If you’re coming from plasma, I can’t imagine you would be happy with the blacks of an led.

#35 4 years ago

To be fair, the Samsung Ice/Water Issue was mostly on 2015-2016 models.
    The issue, like Play field pooling has been addressed. Extended Warranties for sure, regardless of Brand.

On TVs, everyone is right!

Pick your Size, If you plan on Cord Cutting, built in Roku is nice.
    I have now 9 TVs bought in the last 2-1/2 years.
    All brands, all sizes, tech, features, etc.

Im too old to complain, they all look fine.
    One thing for sure, is other than a Tariff change, they are all pretty cheap today.
    50" 4K with Roku for $200 to 65-70" 4K Vizio, I believe, delivered for $600.

#36 4 years ago

Get the LG OLED. This is coming from a person who still has his Pioneer Kuru Elite (pro111fd). I hate to say it, but it blows the Elite out of the water. LCDs still can't make up for their inherent weakness with motion blur unless you want to watch a permanent soap opera. Ditto being unable to produce a true black even with local dimming.
    Also, Samsung does not make any oled's in any way shape or form.

Get the OLED and don't look back.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from Swainer80:

Get the LG OLED. This is coming from a person who still has his Pioneer Kuru Elite (pro111fd). I hate to say it, but it blows the Elite out of the water. LCDs still can't make up for their inherent weakness with motion blur unless you want to watch a permanent soap opera. Ditto being unable to produce a true black even with local dimming.
    Also, Samsung does not make any oled's in any way shape or form.
    Get the OLED and don't look back.

Agreed. But one part of me says buy this, and an OLED at 50% less next year.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #38 4 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

They have different levels of quality built into the same exact TV.

I've heard that as well but I doubt that they are going to ruin their name by building junk black Friday TV's. My TV was a black Friday TV and like I said, 16-18 hours every single day for 7 years. If it blew up right now I couldn't be the least bit mad. Heck if it would have blew up a couple years ago I still would have been ok with it.

Now my Samsung clothes dryer is a different story. It had an issue after 3.5 years and I couldn't even get a part to fix it because they dont make the part anymore. It is also a common failure and there was no recall so I can say right now that I will NEVER buy another Samsung washer or dryer ever again. I do like their TV's though.

#39 4 years ago

Dumped my entertainment center which locked me into a 55" TV for my home theater, sold my 55" LG OLED, and went with this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-85-class-led-x900f-series-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-hdr/6179708.p?skuId=6179708

I absolutely love it. Greentoe has it down to $2600 I believe.

#40 4 years ago

Samsung TV's can be expensive. I have the 2015 flagship Q9500 (curved) and the 2018 flagship Q9FN. The Q9FN was highly rated on rtings.com and is great for gaming too. The trouble is that anyone expecting any TV to be perfect is never going to be happy. There's always something to complain about whether it be screen uniformity, motion interpolation, contrast ratio, color saturation, black levels etc. Last year Sony came out with their 'Master Series' which I thought about, but then the reviews started coming in and I decided at the time the best LCD TV (for me) was the Q9FN and that's what I bought.

Samsung did pull a fast one in 2015 by stating the one connect box would be replaceable in years to come, getting new features without buying a whole new TV. That never happened and there was no upgrade path except to buy a new TV.

I like OLED, but the risk of burn in what I use the TV for is probably just too great.

Rob

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Vintage samsung was good (15+ years ago). More modern stuff...not so much. I can't tell you how many times I've encountered failed samsung TVs. 3-4 years seems to be the average. Mostly because of the junk power supply boards. Review sites don't typically take product longevity into account even if the picture and features look good.

With LG TVs, on the other hand, I don't think I've seen any failures. The only time I see LG's leave is when people upgrade to something bigger.

#42 4 years ago

I'm also considering replacing our 65" Plasma partly because it burns tons of electric (around 470 watts for many hours a day) but also because I want a bigger screen mostly for gaming or watching Twitch. I'm only looking at 75" so OLED's are just too expensive at that size. I've narrowed it down to these:

Samsung Q70 or Q80 75" QLED. Avoid the Q60 as they are still edge lit, the Q70 and Q80 each use local dimming array with the Q80 having a more extensive led array. Has low latency which is good for gaming. Around $2300 or so for the Q80.

Vizio PX75-G1 75". Similar to above, led array and low latency, slightly cheaper around $2000.

Sony 900F 75". Not as good input latency as the two above but also slightly cheaper around $1800.

I don't care about the smart tv aspect as we always use NVidia Sheild's for all our tv and gaming needs, I still find they work so much faster that any built in tv smart setup. My main worry is image motion blur on LED tv's which still isn't as good as my 9 year old Plasma TV, since I both game and watching gaming on Twitch this is kinda important to me, perhaps not to you. But it's the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger. Ultimately If your budget can handle it OLED is still the way to go, they will still have better viewing angles, better blacks and better motion blur than even the Q80, etc.

#43 4 years ago

The only thing I know is don't buy Samsung appliances. I don't know how many times when shopping we've been told not to buy one, lol. TV's, fine. Just not appliances. Most of the comments were about high failure rates and trouble with getting them fixed on top of that. When multiple people tell you something, there's probably some truth behind it.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I'm also considering replacing our 65" Plasma partly because it burns tons of electric (around 470 watts for many hours a day) but also because I want a bigger screen mostly for gaming or watching Twitch. I'm only looking at 75" so OLED's are just too expensive at that size. I've narrowed it down to these:
    Samsung Q70 or Q80 75" QLED. Avoid the Q60 as they are still edge lit, the Q70 and Q80 each use local dimming array with the Q80 having a more extensive led array. Has low latency which is good for gaming. Around $2300 or so for the Q80.
    Vizio PX75-G1 75". Similar to above, led array and low latency, slightly cheaper around $2000.
    Sony 900F 75". Not as good input latency as the two above but also slightly cheaper around $1800.
    I don't care about the smart tv aspect as we always use NVidia Sheild's for all our tv and gaming needs, I still find they work so much faster that any built in tv smart setup. My main worry is image motion blur on LED tv's which still isn't as good as my 9 year old Plasma TV, since I both game and watching gaming on Twitch this is kinda important to me, perhaps not to you. But it's the main reason I haven't pulled the trigger. Ultimately If your budget can handle it OLED is still the way to go, they will still have better viewing angles, better blacks and better motion blur than even the Q80, etc.

The q80 and up have the wider viewing angle. Q90 and 900 also have one box connect

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I game extensively on my 85-900F and have zero latency issues with anything I play. It's used probably 60/40 movies/gaming.

#46 4 years ago

Btw just in case some don't know, this is a great site for tv reviews:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/70-75-77-inch#recommendation_106576

That article gives best recommendations for large size tv's. Their reviews are very detailed which is great, these are their reviews for the LG C8 OLED, the Samsung Q80 and the Sony X900F:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8-oled
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q80-q80r-qled
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Yeah its garbage. You sit through all the phone calls and waiting on hold that I did for almost 3 months. My bad experience is with a TV. I dont own their appliances but every person that listens to me and doesn't buy a TV from them is a win for me.

#48 4 years ago

I’m still running ancient Samsung and Panasonic plasmas. They’re all tanks and heat up the rooms nicely during winter. I don’t know about all these alphabet soup TVs you guys are talking about but they look like crap compared to plasmas...so just go to Craigslist and get you a plasma for $50 or less...you’re welcome

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I’m still running ancient Samsung and Panasonic plasmas. They’re all tanks and heat up the rooms nicely during winter. I don’t know about all these alphabet soup TVs you guys are talking about but they look like crap compared to plasmas...so just go to Craigslist and get you a plasma for $50 or less...you’re welcome

Some/most of the OLED tvs look absolutely amazing . I'm still rocking a 2008 sony bravia lcd with tons and tons of hours on it and overall it still looks pretty good. I've been looking at new tvs tho and probably gonna go with the LG c9.

#50 4 years ago

LG OLED all the way! We have the E8, which is the all glass tv. The C8 is a tremendous TV, but the E8 takes it up another notch with the glass screen. Nothing even comes close.

There are 112 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.