IMG_5334.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG
Untitled.jpg
Tron_swap_of_trim_012.JPG
Tron_swap_of_trim_009.JPG
Tron_swap_of_trim_017.JPG
Tron_swap_of_trim_016.JPG
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 11 years ago

Good work,Blue looks good.

#52 11 years ago

doesn't do it for me (Hooked), i prefer the chrome...
btw, its nice to have not the same idea on all, than mod it as you like it

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from rockinganker:

I get SDTM all the time from Gem. Every time I hit Gem it's automatic for me to nudge instantly.

This is how it is for me also.

It interests me that some people don’t have this experience.
I will have to check my game out and see if it can be tweaked to not do this.

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

This is how it is for me also.
It interests me that some people don’t have this experience.
I will have to check my game out and see if it can be tweaked to not do this.

I don't think I have played a Tron where that didn't happen at some point or another.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I don't think I have played a Tron where that didn't happen at some point or another.

I've played both. Both games I play on route tended to do it, but my one at home, not so much. FWIW, my game is set a little shallow at the moment. I'm sure once I crank the pitch back up it with be doing it like the others. As others said, when I play on route I nudge to try and get it to hit the pops.

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I am of the same opinion, to the point that I am not really believing those that say they have never had it happen.

#57 11 years ago

Any type of drain can happen, but the Gem shot drain should not happen on any type of regular basis.
I have never had this problem.

1, If I did have this problem, the first thing I would do is break out a level and make sure the game is leveled correctly by taking measures from different area's of the playfield -- left side, center, right side, front of the playfield, back area of the playfield, etc..
2, If that didnt work and it was due too some crazy spin etc... use a 1 inch piece of some furniture deadning tape on an area where the ball is always making contact, the goal is to put in an area outside the gem kickout area and makesure it wont interfere with the rest of the flow of the game, the goal would be to take some of the velocity off the ball when it shoots out that corridor.

I repeat though, this should not be happening on a consistant basis.

good luck
Scott
Detroit Pinball

#58 11 years ago

I thought Extra Ball had always worked on the LE... are you saying that if you spell D-A-F-T PUNK once via the two ramps you aren't getting rewarded with an Extra Ball?

#59 11 years ago

LE has extra ball but pro does not apart from scoop award on pro but very rarely happens.

#60 11 years ago

<<fix the extra ball (make it work) >>

TigerLaw25 is an LE owner yet he still makes such a claim that the extra ball doesn't work. I think he is wrong about that, or he is just sympathizing with the poor Pro owners who only get EB as a random scoop award (rarely). I can't tell.

Either way, new Tron code is welcome but let us keep our expectations low. The beta test code was quite subtle from eye-witness reports. There is almost nothing noticeably different, except pictures instead of text during the mystery award. That's it. No video mode, you won't even hardly notice. Sorry, but true.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

I am of the same opinion, to the point that I am not really believing those that say they have never had it happen.

Oh, really? Maybe I don't believe those who say it happens a lot!

Of course I've seen it happen on rare occasions, but no more than any other time the ball comes out of the pops. Certainly not repeatedly, or enough to cause the least concern. On my LE, it was the little cranny to the left of the left pop, the ball would nestle in there and then bloop out and SDTM, until I added a mod to not let it get in there so far.

Quoted from NashBridgezz:

new Tron code is welcome but let us keep our expectations low

No way, Jose. I have high expectations. Many, many suggestions were made and it sounded like Lyman was going to implement a lot of them. I hope the widespread insistence for a video mode isn't holding him up, I could care less about that. If someone wants a Tron video game, they're out there.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

And zero tilts

I had raw trim from PBL shot at my body shop.
It has a metalic flake in it but very hard to see in pics.
Here is a shot but the flash makes it look lighter than it is in person.

Now that Lacquer loOk's Good !!! Nice touch Hooked .. It's FORD Tough now ,,

#64 11 years ago

After GEM nudge into the pops. Not sure what the problem is. Very rare I get a sdtm on my pro. Face down ass up. My game is set up fast.

#65 11 years ago

Well I made Gem 8 times last night. 2 went SDTM, two I had to make good saves on, and the other 4 hit the pops on the way out. It seems to go SDTM when you hit gem with a nice clean forceful shot and the ball comes out of gem with so much momentum, there is no time for a nudge into the pops. This seems to be what happens on my machine.

I also checked my game again, it's dialed in to 6.5 deg, and is perfectly level. Set with a digital level. The 'bubble" on my game is so far out of whack, if I set the game so that the bubble tells me it's at the right pitch, my game will actually be at 5.8 deg!

Anyone else want to chime in about their game set up, and if they have any gem sdtm issues?

#66 11 years ago

HErg has played mine. Not sure why but mine does not drain. It Always bounces into the pops. I leveled everything.

#67 11 years ago

I looked pretty closely at Hwawonyu's machine, and on a solid Gem shot, the ball consistently bumps the post at the end of the ball guide, then kicks left and into the lower left pop bumper. Mine does not. Mine sounds exactly like Pincrawler's description.

I also use a digital level and painstakingly level and slope to 6.7 degrees. The bubble puts me at 5.9, and I still have the SDTM issues at that slope.

I'm considering taking the ball guide loose and enlarging the screwhole in the guide so that I can adjust the ball guide further to the right, exposing more of the post to a ball that is screaming down through there.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I looked pretty closely at Hwawonyu's machine, and on a solid Gem shot, the ball consistently bumps the post at the end of the ball guide, then kicks left and into the lower left pop bumper. Mine does not. Mine sounds exactly like Pincrawler's description.
I also use a digital level and painstakingly level and slope to 6.7 degrees. The bubble puts me at 5.9, and I still have the SDTM issues at that slope.
I'm considering taking the ball guide loose and enlarging the screwhole in the guide so that I can adjust the ball guide further to the right, exposing more of the post to a ball that is screaming down through there.

Mine very seldomly goes SDTM. I'm going to check with my wife's Iphone inclinometer app based on folks reports of the bubble being off. What the hell is it there for if it is not calibrated at the factory.

#69 11 years ago

I watched several shots come around and definitely hit the post at the end and go into the bumpers.

Have not played this game in a few weeks. Big dummy!! I just spent 2 hours having a blast - hypnotic like experience.

This game will suck you in. So very cool!!!!!

#70 11 years ago

+1 for no STDM after Gem shot or left orbit. If they put a ball save attached to the gem shot I hope I can disable it. I am not sure I can even make the Gem shot without hitting the pop bumpers on the way out... Not calling you other guys liars though. Mine is a HUO Tron Pro, with pretty much zero mods if that makes any difference for data collection.

-ben

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from monsterbaldy:

I am not sure I can even make the Gem shot without hitting the pop bumpers on the way out...

Same, it always hits the post and bounces in to them.

#72 11 years ago

Can anyone post a pic of the post the ball is hitting after it comes out of Gem?

When mine goes sdtm it doesn't hit anything after it comes screaming out of gem, and passes right thru all the pops and sdtm.

#73 11 years ago

I'm not at my machine to be able to take a good picture, and this one isn't going to win any awards, but it should get the point across.

Untitled.jpgUntitled.jpg

#74 11 years ago

Add me to the list of Gem to SDTM. Man it sure feels good, I make a tough shot and then the thanks my Tron gives me is a little SDTM action. Was playing last night and I hit Gem maybe 5 times and I got 1 SDTM, so it doesn't happen all of the time.

As for pitch, I just set mine up using the bubble, didn't realize how far off it can be!

One other shot that I get that drives me nuts when it happens is I shoot the left orbit and it comes around, hits a pop bumper and then takes a beeline straight to the left outlane and bye bye. This doesn't happen all the time but it's frustrating when it does.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hmm, I'm not the only one who has complained about the SDTM drain after hitting GEM. The spin on the ball is what causes it and it can be nudged to guard against at the risk of a tilt. You are the first person who has indicated they have never had this occur. I would say it happens once out of every five games for me.

Then I am the second. I owned a tron pro which never did it not even once and now I own a tron LE which has never done this.

#76 11 years ago

I think that metallic blue trim looks awesome. For anyone that wants a cheap alternative to this, rustoleum metallic blue cans. This particular paint color is very unique. No primer needed. One coat covers perfectly. It dries in 5-10 minutes to the touch. One can should do the entire machine and tmolding. It is very durable. I did my avatar with it as a proof of concept before planning to get it powder coated and not so much as a scratch since. Been over a year. It retains that stern powder bumpy texture as well. For prep, just wipe the parts with alcohol. I did legs, lockdown, hinges, side rails, plunger housing, coin door, and the chrome tmolding. It has a very nice metallic sparkle.

This is the paint: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LNWCKM

#77 11 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

When mine goes sdtm it doesn't hit anything after it comes screaming out of gem, and passes right thru all the pops and sdtm.

Exactly. Not enough time to even think about nudging.
My bubble was so far off that the pitch was 8.0 and it was ballistic. Balls flying everywhere. I now have it set to 6.7 and its perfectly level but a really good Gem shot rips right thru untouched.

Quoted from Buckman:

One other shot that I get that drives me nuts when it happens is I shoot the left orbit and it comes around, hits a pop bumper and then takes a beeline straight to the left outlane and bye bye. This doesn't happen all the time but it's frustrating when it does.

That is frustrating. I can sometimes see that drainshot coming but just cant get my body to do react.

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

That is frustrating. I can sometimes see that drainshot coming but just cant get my body to do react.

To me I feel like I'm in the batter's box waiting for the next pitch (got 2 strikes on me so one more to go). I'm thinking it's a curveball all the way, but turns out it's 95 MPH fastball and it blows right by me and I'm standing there frozen and look like a fool.

I see that ball hit the pops and fly over the playfield to the left but I can't do a damn thing about it and I just watch it go. Arrrrghhh.......

#79 11 years ago

Pics of that post. OT with invisiglass still on ; )

IMG_0746.JPGIMG_0746.JPG IMG_0747.JPGIMG_0747.JPG

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I now have it set to 6.7

Well, there's your problem SB!
You'll need to set the PF to 7 degrees to properly coax GEM to gyrate (around the pops) instead of quickly draining your balls every time.

That extra .3 is where the magic happens!

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Pics of that post

Dang that spot needs a Mod

BR the paint code is Ford KY easy to remember

#82 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Pics of that post

Thanks. Now, pics of mine. Remember, Hwawonyu's does not SDTM much, if ever. Mine does it all the time. Look at how you can see blue playfield between the white/yellow stripe and the ball guide on his.

IMG_5334.JPGIMG_5334.JPG IMG_5335.JPGIMG_5335.JPG IMG_5336.JPGIMG_5336.JPG

#83 11 years ago

I see it slap a cliffy post on there and see if that fattens it up a bit.
His second shot really shows that post away from the end of the rail.
Will have to check mine.

#84 11 years ago

It looks like Hwawonyu's game had LOTR's aftermarket post added to beef up the thickness.

lotr_post.jpglotr_post.jpg
Herg's looks pretty flush in comparison...

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

It looks like Hwawonyu's game had LOTR's aftermarket post added to beef up the thickness.

I highly suspect his is stock. He's never complained about any problems with it, and he's not the type to make changes like that. Also, the difference is not only that the post sleeve is fatter, it's also that the ball guide is located differently. I've already tried loosening the screw on mine and pushing it over, but it's maxed out.

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I see it slap a cliffy post on there and see if that fattens it up a bit.

Mine has a Cliffy sleeve on it, and it's VERY slightly larger, but it doesn't really help much.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

and he's not the type to make changes like that.

Herg knows me well. I have never and typically would not go in there. Unless he or DC fan helped its stock, which it is.
I can clearly see the difference. My post is positioned out in the lane vs. his which is flush.

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I highly suspect his is stock. He's never complained about any problems with it, and he's not the type to make changes like that. Also, the difference is not only that the post sleeve is fatter, it's also that the ball guide is located differently. I've already tried loosening the screw on mine and pushing it over, but it's maxed out.

After looking at the pictures of your guide as compared to Hwawonyu's pictures, it is pretty clear that the guide somehow needs to be pushed back to line-up with the blue line.
In David's picture you can even see that the guide is lined up about to the middle of the post.

I wonder if the mounting part of the ball guide could be bent just a little to shorten the extension between the mounting hole of the ball guide and the edge of the ball guide.

#89 11 years ago

It looks like mine needs to move nearly 1/8".

Bending the ball guide would be very tricky, and it would sit higher than it used to.

I think the options are to use a fatter sleeve, extend the hole in the ball guide, or to make another hole in the playfield. If I can find a fatter sleeve, I may try that first to see if it helps. I'd hate to make permanent changes, then find out it doesn't help. It it DOES help, then I'm debating between the two permanent options so that I can use regular sleeves on it. A fatter sleeve also makes the shot up that orbit more difficult, and I already can't make that shot.

#90 11 years ago
Quoted from Buckman:

To me I feel like I'm in the batter's box waiting for the next pitch (got 2 strikes on me so one more to go). I'm thinking it's a curveball all the way, but turns out it's 95 MPH fastball and it blows right by me and I'm standing there frozen and look like a fool.
I see that ball hit the pops and fly over the playfield to the left but I can't do a damn thing about it and I just watch it go. Arrrrghhh.......

I have that happen on occasion, and yes I see it happening, but then it's to late!!

Interesting that the lane guides are in different positions. I was playing again last night and was watching the ball feed out of Gem. It seems to me that the back loop of the Gem shot that feeds that ball out towards the pops could have a slightly different radius on it. Mine seems like it is a very tight radius, and when the ball exits gem it is directed down as opposed to the ball being directed into the lane guide you guys are all talking about. On mine it only hits the lane guide on very low velocity gem shots. If I hit it gem with any kind of force the ball almost never touches that lane guide or the post at the end of it for that matter. Usually resulting in a SDTM.

Thoughts??

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from Pincrawler:

On mine it only hits the lane guide on very low velocity gem shots.
-clip-
Thoughts??

Hmmm... I'm not sure if that's even possible. The angles just aren't right for it. Maybe yours hits the guide up around the shooter lane exit and bounces off, never touching the guide again.

#92 11 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Hmmm... I'm not sure if that's even possible. The angles just aren't right for it. Maybe yours hits the guide up around the shooter lane exit and bounces off, never touching the guide again.

How hard is it to take off the ball guide in this location? If it is easy to take off the guide then drilling the ball guide's mounting hole bigger would be an easy fix that would not be visible and would only give the guide more adjustment range.

The other option of bending the mounting part that I mentioned earlier would not entail raising the height of the guide the way I am thinking of doing it. If the mounting tab is bent upwards it actually will bring the guide closer to the mount but the guide would still rest on the playfield the way it does from the factory. It is just a question of whether the screw will fit through the mounting hole after that angled bend is made (and whether a longer screw would be needed).

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Then I am the second. I owned a tron pro which never did it not even once and now I own a TRON LE which has never done this.

did you make sure to clean the playfield? A proper waxing, or cleaning, adjustment of switches, maybe your flippers aren't adjusted or rebuilt properly. Depending on your skill level, maybe it's never done this, because you're not hitting gem at all....
Sound familiar?

GEM drains happen, they're frustrating. Playing around with a different pitch or quick reflexes to slap it in the pops can help.

#94 11 years ago

Well, as I mentioned earlier, there is clearly enough people having serious issues with this to merit a patch fix. A three second ball save after GEM shots will not negatively impact the game even for those who claim not to have an issue with it.

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

did you make sure to clean the playfield? A proper waxing, or cleaning, adjustment of switches, maybe your flippers aren't adjusted or rebuilt properly. Depending on your skill level, maybe it's never done this, because you're not hitting gem at all....
Sound familiar?
GEM drains happen, they're frustrating. Playing around with a different pitch or quick reflexes to slap it in the pops can help.

So reading the thread there are several folks that don't have this problem. You're really going to try to take this stance after all that? Maybe you should read the thread lol. Gem drains not happening here is not a problem. You're suggesting what? I adjust pitch, rebuild my perfectly working flippers until everything is f'ed up to cause gem drains? Lol.

#96 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

How hard is it to take off the ball guide?

I don't know. I've yet to investigate that far.

Quoted from DCFAN:

The other option of bending the mounting part...

I must have misunderstood. We'll talk about it this evening.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Well, as I mentioned earlier, there is clearly enough people having serious issues with this to merit a patch fix. A three second ball save after GEM shots will not negatively impact the game even for those who claim not to have an issue with it.

Or even better, an option to set the "GEM ball save time", defaulting to off.

#97 11 years ago

Sorry, but what does this have to do with a TRON Update? I thought there was some news?
Oh Lyman where are you man!

btw Please make a separate thread about GEM shots

#98 11 years ago

Herg, we can take a look at it tonight and discuss.
I have a feeling that the ball guide is slightly out of spec and can be worked around.

#99 11 years ago

Gem drains SDTM maybe 1 time in 5. If the ball is slow enough, I can save it in the pops. Not a big deal for me, and certainly not enough for me to adjust or bend anything. It's a fun shot, and the drain possibility is part of the adrenaline.

Not a problem IMO.

#100 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

So reading the thread there are several folks that don't have this problem. You're really going to try to take this stance after all that? Maybe you should read the thread lol. Gem drains not happening here is not a problem. You're suggesting what? I adjust pitch, rebuild my perfectly working flippers until everything is f'ed up to cause gem drains? Lol.

he didn't ''get it''.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tron-update/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.