3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Noahs_Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I would tend to agree but I also know there are a lot of good players that haven't/don't come to TPF due to how the tournaments were run and what was worth their time. This format is prime for them so I'd be surprised if more of the "A" players don't show up this year.

I don't disagree that Wizards is a good format. I'm just trying to find out where the incentive is for the new/lower level players is at.

There is a Novice Final as part of the main tournament, where the top 4 players in the qualifying standings ranked outside of the WPPR top 500 can compete for separate $100 cash prize plus trophy.

If the new format is a huge turnoff for players like yourself then that should net out with the potential return of a large batch of "A" level players that see this format as something that could bring them back to TPF. The only way to know for certain is for Ed to try it out. Like he said if you're worried about not being included in the group of 200 players, you'll have the opportunity to register early.

IMO the fact that the number of entries is limited is what makes the tournament far more "B" and "C" friendly, along with the mix of eras of games being used. Giving the "A" players an unlimited number of opportunities to keep qualifying only separates them more from the rest of the pack. With the 30 tickets across 12 games, you're talking about an average of getting to play each game twice. At that point it makes it anyone's ballgame ("Anyone" with the caveat that pinball is still a game of skill, so the best players SHOULD bubble to the top, but it's the most level of a playing field format available with respect to the opportunity to qualify).

This exact format has been tried at the 2014 Fraser Valley Flipout with great success. Over 150 players competed, and while 18 players were ranked in the WPPR top 500 in that field, only 12 of those players actually qualified for the finals of the event.

Those results can be found here:
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=7332#results

#24 3 years ago

Pre-order the TPF tournament package for $60 . . . and just sell it later. It's an LE 4 SURE.

I hear it'll be $10K by Christmas!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 22.50
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 5,800.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 299.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 27.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 16.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 235.00
    Boards
    RS Technologies
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 59.99
    Hardware
    Chroma Pinball
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pinball Haus
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ifpapinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside