(Topic ID: 139565)

New TPF 2016 Tournament Announcement

By Ed_in_Texas

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

Stop giving Colin an even bigger head than he's already got...man you guys have gotten so much mileage from that pic I think it's actually got digital wear holes in it, lol.

Love the "put up or shut up" nature of this format.

#4 8 years ago

I love that shirt. I can't wear it anywhere but TPF...but I love..that..shirt. The pink one is even better. Too bad I wore it the day before.

I guess technically I've probably missed my window to get a 1st place awared at TPF due to this format change. That kinda sucks. Think this is a much better format though. Are the 'high score' tournaments going to be on the same machines as 'wizards' or will that be a separate bank to alleviate congestion?

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Ed_in_Texas:

Separate bank and yes, alleviate congestion and invite newer players to participate that may not want to try the Wizards!

Awesome!

#14 8 years ago

Stern launch parties have always drawn out more people than any other tournaments in the Dallas area, and they're typically "high score only" tournaments, or at best a 'top 4 playoff' situation, so I can see why this is being promoted as the "novice" friendly format. Everyone can have a blowout game, get lucky, and they might just place first if that happens.

Why is Wizards being limited to 200? I would assume there was some calculation of average game times (hopefully skewed towards the high end..), number of games they want to use for it, and that was a good round number that fit into what needed to happen for a tournament to be run efficiently. If you look at past TPF results for the "main" tournament...

2015 - Can't really tell due to format...looks like maaaaybe around 150 unique players? Hard to say.
    2014- 183 players
    2013 - 213 players
    2012 - 193 players

Seems like there's a good chance that unless people come that don't normally come to try and win that big pot, there may not even BE 200 players for Wizards.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I would tend to agree but I also know there are a lot of good players that haven't/don't come to TPF due to how the tournaments were run and what was worth their time. This format is prime for them so I'd be surprised if more of the "A" players don't show up this year.
    I don't disagree that Wizards is a good format. I'm just trying to find out where the incentive is for the new/lower level players is at.

I'd agree with that but you are also not asking players to pay basically $2.50 a game to try and get lucky in those launch parties.

Depends on the launch party. I've paid that, and more.

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

So can I try to qualify in the wizard only on Saturday?

You CAN...however if the past is any indicator good luck trying to get 30 plays in on one day along with 199 other interested people.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tpf-2016-tournament-announcement?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.