(Topic ID: 139565)

New TPF 2016 Tournament Announcement

By Ed_in_Texas

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Fair enough. I just think that the scale was tipped just a bit to far vs finding that happy medium. I'll be interested to see how it works out. I consider myself an above average player so I don't feel as though that I don't stand no chance. I'm basically vocalizing the concerns that I heard (and shared) countless times while working at the event as well as in the months that followed it when talking with other pinheads.
    Maybe it's my background coming out. I'm a project manager by trait in a very large corporation and I always encourage those to challenge the idea's put forth on the table so that differences of opinion can be discussed. Sometimes modifications to the direction of the project are changed based off that feedback and sometimes they are not but waiting till launch day is to late for someone to say something of concern. Posting of this in a discussion forum seemed as though feedback would be considered/wanted. Sounds like things are set in stone though. I hope things are better this year. I'm just concerned we are losing touch a bit with one of the goals of the show and that is to bring new life into pinball.
    I can't buy a ticket for a couple of months as we have a new baby on the way and I don't know what life will bring at that point in time. If spots are still open come Jan and things have settled down enough for me to go then I'll come. If not, I guess I'll save some money and stay home this year.

Thanks for your feedback. Give me a call or PM me if you'd like to discuss. I'll be assisting in running the tourney this year.
    But please understand that the new format for the main tourney is set.... and it's based on a lot of feedback received from a number of different sources.

1 week later
    #49 8 years ago
    Quoted from dbellAZ:

Sounds great. I suggest making sure the 30 game limit is built right into the software - record every game. Don't rely only on tickets, which can easily be traded/sold between participants.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I agree. While the software details aren't finalized yet, solutions being considered will do just that: keep track of how many tickets (games left that you can play), and provide that information to you via the website.

The system will be robust and not allow entries to be exchanged between players.

Quoted from stainedundies:

i get that it isnt as inviting to the lower level players

Thanks for the feedback. But I disagree that the format isn't as inviting to lower level players.
    1) More than just eliminating congestion, it's a LOT less confusing to players (regardless of skill). And I'm guessing that lower level players are more prone to not trying a format that they have difficulty understanding. Vs usual tourney players who are going to compete even if the format is complex. Simpler format should = more attractive to lower level players.

2) See prior comments in this thread from IFPA/Josh: "This exact format has been tried at the 2014 Fraser Valley Flipout with great success. Over 150 players competed, and while 18 players were ranked in the WPPR top 500 in that field, only 12 of those players actually qualified for the finals of the event.
    Those results can be found here:
    http://www.ifpapinball.com/view_tournament.php?t=7332#results "

Further, this format is used extensively in European tourneys with great success. And while I don't have all their tourney result links handy, the general concept is: the more you limit the entries in qualifying, the greater chance that that luck trumps greater skill. For instance, I wouldn't give myself very good odds of beating the likes of Jorian (current world #1) and Elwin (current #2) in a best of 7 match. But if our match-up is limited to just one game, my odds of winning (although still not great) increase dramatically.

3) Hopefully the Novice finals will provide some incentive for lower level players to give it a shot and compete.

4) If in fact, as you stated, lower level players decide that they don't like the format, they can still try their hand at one of the single-day high score competitions.

Thanks again for the feedback.
    Looking forward to a great TPF2016 and great TPF2016 tournaments!
    (which will also include a women's tourney, kids' tourney, and parent-child tourney)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Snailman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tpf-2016-tournament-announcement?tu=Snailman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.