10 months ago

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 months ago

Hi Everyone,

Started to get an interest into pinball, my social circle isn't into it so aside the internet; I don't have much direction. I'm really interested in the rare pinball machines and wanted to get some help locating one. I don't have much space for them so I figured having a rare one would be worth the room. Also, when I signed up, I choose a different screen name but was assigned RLpinball so I guess thats my name now. As a kid, I was a fan of the King Kong theme and was hoping to get the pinball machine. Any help would be awesome.

thx, Vanessa

#2 10 months ago

Welcome and I hope you have some big bucks. Rare pins are just that. Hard to find and cost a lot whether they are fun or not. Then most don't even play them because they are rare and probably can't get parts. I would rather have a fun pin to play and not another piece of furniture. Or the feeling that comes when you break something you can't get to fix it.

#3 10 months ago

At your location to your user name and info. Head to the market section and start a wanted ad. Hopefully you have around 70-100k for really rare machines like King Kong and also 10-20 years to wait. Unless you have a lot more monies than maybe you can land it quicker... But I doubt it.

#4 10 months ago

Welcome

Quoted from rlpinball:

As a kid, I was a fan of the King Kong theme and was hoping to get the pinball machine.

Unfortunately, it's probably not realistic to be able to get your hands one for less than $20k. There were only 9 prototypes made, and they are very desirable. You would probably have to throw some real big money around in order to shake one loose, but even then, collectors in that high-end segment of rare & valuable games value owning the rare items themselves more than the money they are worth.

Even though that particular title might be out of reach, there are thousands of titles to choose from at various price points.

http://ipdb.org/
    https://pinside.com/pinball/archive

#5 10 months ago

Depends on what you mean by rare I guess, under 500? Under 1000? Just highly desirable? Get a machine that you will enjoy regardless of its rarity.

The King Kong pinball machine in particular is super rare, only 9 were made before they canned it. There was someone offering $25,000 for one here a while ago with no takers.

Get a machine that everyone will enjoy and fits into your room. A Star Wars, Dialed In, or Ghostbusters machine will cost a fraction of King Kong and provide years of enjoyment.

Welcome to Pinside!

-Matt

#6 10 months ago

Oh wow, thats a bit discouraging haha. Thanks for the taking the time to respond. I didn't realize the cost would be so high. 25k and no takers... I'm not going to let that mess me up yet, I'm hopeful that I will have a shot at buying it. I've looked at a lot of these games and they all look amazing and I wanted my first pinball machine to be a cornerstone of sorts. Does this game really cost that much, realistically do people pay these amounts?

#7 10 months ago

They don’t pay those amounts because no one will sell one. 25k wasn’t enough to shake one loose. You can get a fun EM machine for $500, a great SS pinball for $1000, a recent Stern machine for $5000. Then there are the rare machines which rarely or ever change hands.

I believe that most or all of the nine King Kong machines are accounted for and if the owner ever did sell it would be to someone he knows.

#8 10 months ago

What do you want to get out of pinball? If it is to have fun playing then head to your local arcade (check the pinmap) and start playing to find out what grabs you.

Rare does not mean good or fun. If you think about it, the most produced machines should be the best (generally speaking).

#10 10 months ago

Advice on getting into pinball:
    Have lots of cash, it’s not cheap.
    Be very strong or have a few people to help lift, this is a very heavy hobby
    Have fun!!! It doesn’t matter if it’s a $500 game or a $10000 game, as long as you enjoy it!!

#11 10 months ago
    Quoted from rlpinball:

Does this game really cost that much, realistically do people pay these amounts?

Yes. It's one of the rarest and most desirable titles (mostly because it's so rare, but in part because it's an interesting game). There are a handful of ultra-rare titles in this category. Most of the time, if you want to get your hands on something like this, you either need to be willing to spend well beyond what they previously sold for, or have some trade bait for something equally as rare.

However, not all of the King Kong 9 prototypes play very well. Since they are prototypes, there are some differences between them as the designers were still experimenting with the design.

#12 10 months ago
    Quoted from rlpinball:

Does this game really cost that much, realistically do people pay these amounts?

For a King Kong? Yea. Pretty much... They're as close to unicorn blood as you can get in this hobby. Same goes for Kingpin and even Big Bang Bar--but to a lesser extent.

A touch of advice, if I may: Rarity doesn't mean it will be money well spent, or worth your space. There are plenty of really fantastic games that are relatively inexpensive, and completely worth your money and space. If you like King Kong, why not check out the game "Congo." It's a great bang for your buck game.

#13 10 months ago

Oh and we all started with only room for one. You can see how that turned out for most on here.

#14 10 months ago

Did some checking on Kingpin and Big Bang Bar mentioned; I don't know much about their background and would rather have other games. I get the rarity thing; I like the King Kong theme a lot. I'm also really intrigued by the way you guys talk about the game; becomes more desirable. Clark Kent: you know a lot about this game - do you own one / owned one / know someone that does.

#15 10 months ago
    Quoted from rlpinball:

do you own one / owned one / know someone that does.

There is one prominent member on the forums who owns one, but he has expressed no plans to part with it.

Like I sad before, most owners would rather own the game itself rather than the money offered for it.

#16 10 months ago

Breakshot is fairly rare and very affordable.

#17 10 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Breakshot is fairly rare and very affordable.

It's even fun!

#18 10 months ago

Very Fun. I'm looking to get another. Soon I will have another Big Hurt as well and will have gone full circle.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 269.00
    $ 9.99
    $ 149.00
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.95
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.95
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    Hardware
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 10.95
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside