Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zarco
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 3 years ago

There are a lot of dynamics to buying pinballs, and especially as a new collector you tend to do better by being more open to options.

There have been several games mentioned so far that are fantastic (Flash Gordon and Pinbot), but will likely be above the 2k budget, especially in any type of decent working condition. That brings me to my next point: Are you wiling to put in any wrench time, or do you need it to be 100%? That will also be a big difference in what you can/should get.

Also, how flexible are you on theme? Being open to various themes often leads to a wider net cast and better options. Bally Paragon is one of the most underrated/undervalued pins in existence, and it is in your price range. It isn't spaced themed, but it is an amazing game that will "wow" family and guests. Food for thought.

Here are my suggestions for space (space-ish) type games:

In your price range; firepower, firepower II, stars, time machine, space shuttle, space station, big guns, laser cue, galaxy, black hole, blackout, meteor, countdown, flight 2000

Just above your price range (would require additional funds, finding a smoking deal, or wrench time for a non-100% game):
    Pinbot, Flash Gordon, Stargate

The choice is obviously your own, but I would recommend a few things: be willing to add some money for a better or higher quality game, consider other themes as well, look for games that require just a bit of work to get going so you can save some money on a better pin.

P.S. I have a friend with a very nice Williams Big Guns for sale here on pinside. You would have to have it shipped, but it's a great game in good condition with your desired theme and price point. If interested, contact dc2010

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Thanks everyone for your responses! To reply to a few questions: The space theme isn’t a huge deal, more of just an added bonus to make my wife happy. (That’s usually the goal in married life right?!). Since we have young kids, I really just want something with a family friendly theme (so probably not something like xenon or playboy, LOL). I understand that maintenance comes with owning a machine and things can and will get broken. I’m a DIY type guy so I’m open to learning how to work on a pinball machine. I’m not looking for or expecting a showroom piece, but I do want something that is playable and in working order for my first one. I’m ok if there are minor issues that need to be fixed initially. I just don’t want to dive in right away and buy a machine that needs major work.
    I understand the importance of finding someone local, that is good advice for sure! The problem is that there doesn't seem to be much for pinball activities in my area. There's gotta be some pinball-aholics around here, or whatever it is you guys call yourselves, I just don't know how to go about finding them at the moment. The people I talked to from binball clubs have been super helpful but the nearest one is about a two hour drive, so not exactly local.

Look on the pinside.com map for other pinheads near you as well as technicians. There are lots of pinsiders close to you. You can also check craigslist and Facebook for pin listings and pin techs in your area.

Pins can be found in the same places (Facebook, craigslist, letgo, pinside, 5 mile, estatesales.com)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-this-forum-and-pinball?tu=Daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.