Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zarco
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 3 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and pinball as a whole. For the past several years my wife and I have occasionally discussed the idea of buying a pinball machine for the house. COVID closing down most of the country gave us the push that made us decide to take the plunge and buy a machine. We're currently trying to figure out which type of pinball machine we'd like. I've done some online reading and found some very helpful posts from this site from people looking to buy their first pinball machine. I've also talked to a few different gentlemen from pinball clubs and got some pointers on the basics of buying a machine. We hung out at one of the pinball clubs this last Saturday, spent several dollars, and had a great time. My wife liked it so much she wanted to go back the next day. One of the games we played at the club was F14 tomcat. The owner was selling it and it's in our price range. I really liked the layout of the machine. There was more going on compared to EM machines but it wasn't near as busy as some of the newer machines. As newbies the new machines seem to have way too much going on for us. Overall though, we thought F14's gameplay was a little too difficult and frustrating compared to other machines that were there. Initially I was planning on buying a 70s' era EM machine, but after talking to some people and going to the pinball club as well as watching different youtube videos I feel that these types of machines would get boring after a while, for us at least. I'm thinking an 80's SS machine would be more what we are looking for. Also, we have school age kids and want a family friendly machine. Our price range is $2,000 or less. Honestly, I had a bit of a sticker shock when I first realized how much these machines can go for! The other criteria is that my wife really wants one that has a space theme. So I'm looking for advice from you guys on what you think would be a good first machine for us, as well as any other advice you'd have for me. Thanks in advance! (I didn't see a newbies sub forum so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place).

#2 3 years ago

I would consider Space Shuttle

#3 3 years ago

Everyone has a different price range and probably most of the top rated 75 machines (1-75)(and maybe more) are probably $3000 and up easy, depending on the condition. Tough to find a clean plug and play working $2000 machine local. This is an expensive hobby. My first pinball getting back into the hobby after a long time being away was a $2200 Earthshaker and it played terrible. I could not wait to get rid of it and lost money selling it. Keep doing your research.

Good luck

#4 3 years ago

Space Shuttle is a good choice, but System 9 boards are hard to source. Make sure that any example you consider has a clean, working board.

Bally's Flash Gordon would be high on my list, too.

#5 3 years ago

Love FG. It's my only 80s pin left in my line up,but it can be a little brutal for casual players. Firepower would be a good choice also. Easy to find for 2k, lots of them out there.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

Bally's Flash Gordon would be high on my list, too.

Noob abuse?

Quoted from Foxxstone_80:

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and pinball as a whole.

Welcome to one of the most awesome hobbies in the world.

#7 3 years ago

Actually F-14 can be set up to play easier through setting. It can be adjusted too very easy to super hard. But it isn’t a stand alone pin for sure. It’s best for a multipin collection....

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Noob abuse?

Welcome to one of the most awesome hobbies in the world.

2nd that!

#9 3 years ago

Pinbot is a possibility, I still see the occasional routed game/player's condition game go for around 2k.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion guys, and thanks for the welcome. Space shuttle looks like it would be right up our alley. There is a firepower listed on fb marketplace about 4 hr drive from me for $2,000. It looks good per the ad, which doesn't always say much. I'm also a bit hesitant driving that far to figure out if the machine is as good as it looks, but i guess that is part of the deal. I'm also wondering how I can tell if the machine is listed at a fair price? it seems like prices for these machines are all over the place and I'd like to not get ripped off if I can help it.

#11 3 years ago

Welcome to the madness
    Firepower if a fantastic choice for a first pin.

#12 3 years ago

Get lots of pictures inside and out. Also the all the circuit boards and post on here so we can see and give any hints or clues to what we see. Game play is out of the equation since it is 4 hrs away. But if you do go, play it and ask questions about the pin. I know it is tough to drive that far and not buy, it is a real bummer!
    Remember all pins will need adjustment and fixed at times. Lots of help here on pinside!!!! I found that when I got into this hobby I knew ahead of time they would need fixed. And is one of the enjoyments I have is fixing and playing them!
    Here is my F-14 at this time! Great game, wife loves it too!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #13 3 years ago

And yeah, Welcome to the addiction!

#14 3 years ago

Welcome!! Here's a few i can think of that might fit the bill for your price range and taste so far:

Eight Ball Deluxe (look for an LE model, they're cheaper but have a funky cabinet)
    Mata Hari
    Blackout
    Firepower or Firepower II
    High Speed
    Pinbot
    Big Guns

I personally prefer older games for their more straightforward rule sets and game play. I would also prepare to learn how to fix a few things as you proceed, but you're also in the right place for tech help with your game.

Play as many different games as you can, try to find something that really speaks to both of you. Make room for more, too!

Enjoy!

#15 3 years ago

If you can find a Pinbot in your price range I would suggest that, awesome game. I have both Pinbot and F14, both are a lot of fun.

#16 3 years ago

Flight 2000 gets my vote for the best space themed game you can find for under $2k.

#17 3 years ago

There are a lot of dynamics to buying pinballs, and especially as a new collector you tend to do better by being more open to options.

There have been several games mentioned so far that are fantastic (Flash Gordon and Pinbot), but will likely be above the 2k budget, especially in any type of decent working condition. That brings me to my next point: Are you wiling to put in any wrench time, or do you need it to be 100%? That will also be a big difference in what you can/should get.

Also, how flexible are you on theme? Being open to various themes often leads to a wider net cast and better options. Bally Paragon is one of the most underrated/undervalued pins in existence, and it is in your price range. It isn't spaced themed, but it is an amazing game that will "wow" family and guests. Food for thought.

Here are my suggestions for space (space-ish) type games:

In your price range; firepower, firepower II, stars, time machine, space shuttle, space station, big guns, laser cue, galaxy, black hole, blackout, meteor, countdown, flight 2000

Just above your price range (would require additional funds, finding a smoking deal, or wrench time for a non-100% game):
    Pinbot, Flash Gordon, Stargate

The choice is obviously your own, but I would recommend a few things: be willing to add some money for a better or higher quality game, consider other themes as well, look for games that require just a bit of work to get going so you can save some money on a better pin.

P.S. I have a friend with a very nice Williams Big Guns for sale here on pinside. You would have to have it shipped, but it's a great game in good condition with your desired theme and price point. If interested, contact dc2010

#18 3 years ago

Not intentionally, but I take your point. Flash Gordon will either make you a better player or abandon the hobby altogether.

#19 3 years ago

Welcome to Pinside! My sister and I went to Camp Foster a couple summers in the 70s.

IPDB can filter by theme and date range. This will help you find space themed tables. https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?tm=Space&sortby=name&searchtype=advanced

I’ve found you just end up buying what’s available and playing that until you get what you really want.
    vid1900 has a guide on how not to get ripped off. It’s well worth reading.

#20 3 years ago

Space Shuttle and F-14 are both good choices in that price range as already been mentioned. I have had my Space Shuttle the longest of any game in my collection. It has some great features you don't see too much in modern games like sweep-able drop targets, the dead end ramp shot, and the drop in front of the ramp. Cool risk/reward with multiball as well since you can lock steal in multiplayer games. I had an F-14 for a bit as well and enjoyed it. It is a fun game as well and they are generally easy to sell if you decide to move on. I never found it overly difficult, but it can be come a bit repetitive as there are not a huge variety of shots on the game if you are playing for score...basically the right orbit and feeding the upper flipper is all that matters.

They are getting harder to find for $2K or under, but Taxi is a great first game. I have seen Pinbot suggested alot, but I have not seen one near me for under $2,500 in a long time. It can also be a brutal game as you are shooting up the middle into death targets alot. I am personally not a huge fan of the game, but it is all subjective!

#21 3 years ago

Welcome my friend to the world of pinball.

Learn as much as you can. Buy in person. Even learn some basic repairs so when you look over a used game you can tell if it's been maintained or not. Figure out if common wear items or even boards are available for repairs.

Make your first purchase a good experience. Not a money pit that makes you leave pinball.

Make friends with local collectors so you can tap their experience in purchasing or fixing.

As you grow and learn. Be sure and help the next person coming along.

LTG : )

#22 3 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and pinball as a whole. For the past several years my wife and I have occasionally discussed the idea of buying a pinball machine for the house. COVID closing down most of the country gave us the push that made us decide to take the plunge and buy a machine. We're currently trying to figure out which type of pinball machine we'd like. I've done some online reading and found some very helpful posts from this site from people looking to buy their first pinball machine. I've also talked to a few different gentlemen from pinball clubs and got some pointers on the basics of buying a machine. We hung out at one of the pinball clubs this last Saturday, spent several dollars, and had a great time. My wife liked it so much she wanted to go back the next day. One of the games we played at the club was F14 tomcat. The owner was selling it and it's in our price range. I really liked the layout of the machine. There was more going on compared to EM machines but it wasn't near as busy as some of the newer machines. As newbies the new machines seem to have way too much going on for us. Overall though, we thought F14's gameplay was a little too difficult and frustrating compared to other machines that were there. Initially I was planning on buying a 70s' era EM machine, but after talking to some people and going to the pinball club as well as watching different youtube videos I feel that these types of machines would get boring after a while, for us at least. I'm thinking an 80's SS machine would be more what we are looking for. Also, we have school age kids and want a family friendly machine. Our price range is $2,000 or less. Honestly, I had a bit of a sticker shock when I first realized how much these machines can go for! The other criteria is that my wife really wants one that has a space theme. So I'm looking for advice from you guys on what you think would be a good first machine for us, as well as any other advice you'd have for me. Thanks in advance! (I didn't see a newbies sub forum so I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place).

I would get a Williams High Speed in an instant. It's so fun.

#23 3 years ago

For space themes under $2K, Big Guns also has a good amount going on for the money.

#24 3 years ago

Not a space theme but Comet checks a few of your boxes and I see them under $1500 all the time.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Welcome my friend to the world of pinball.
    Learn as much as you can. Buy in person. Even learn some basic repairs so when you look over a used game you can tell if it's been maintained or not. Figure out if common wear items or even boards are available for repairs.
    Make your first purchase a good experience. Not a money pit that makes you leave pinball.
    Make friends with local collectors so you can tap their experience in purchasing or fixing.
    As you grow and learn. Be sure and help the next person coming along.
    LTG : )

I agree with this 1000%. Since this is your first buy, I’d try to recruit the help of another collector. Use the Pinside map to see if any Pinsiders are local to you and hit them up!

I bought my first pins (F-14 and Johnny Mnemonic) from a repair guy that sells used pins with a warranty. I think it turned out to be a great way to enter the hobby. It allows you to buy a known working machine with a warranty. I probably paid a little extra, but it helped me ease my way into ownership.

As for space themes... Space Station should be on your list. And Black Hole is a great one (although it can be a bit of a bear to keep running).

I totally understand your sticker shock. 8 years ago, I thought prices were crazy. They are 10-fold, now! The good news is you can get your money back (plus or minus) in most situations.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

As you grow and learn. Be sure and help the next person coming along

This! You need a local to help you out. I just about quit a bunch of times. I probably spent about 700 on stuff I have destroyed.

#27 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses! To reply to a few questions: The space theme isn’t a huge deal, more of just an added bonus to make my wife happy. (That’s usually the goal in married life right?!). Since we have young kids, I really just want something with a family friendly theme (so probably not something like xenon or playboy, LOL). I understand that maintenance comes with owning a machine and things can and will get broken. I’m a DIY type guy so I’m open to learning how to work on a pinball machine. I’m not looking for or expecting a showroom piece, but I do want something that is playable and in working order for my first one. I’m ok if there are minor issues that need to be fixed initially. I just don’t want to dive in right away and buy a machine that needs major work.

I understand the importance of finding someone local, that is good advice for sure! The problem is that there doesn't seem to be much for pinball activities in my area. There's gotta be some pinball-aholics around here, or whatever it is you guys call yourselves, I just don't know how to go about finding them at the moment. The people I talked to from binball clubs have been super helpful but the nearest one is about a two hour drive, so not exactly local.

#28 3 years ago

Welcome. As stated above, Space Shuttle, Blackout, Flight 2000, Firepower, Pinbot, Meteor, and Stars are all great. Best of luck. You’re about to get the sickness.

#29 3 years ago

Every one of these threads ends with the OP giving up and spending $7k on his first pin.

Embrace it! And welcome your fabulous new game into your life!

#30 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses! To reply to a few questions: The space theme isn’t a huge deal, more of just an added bonus to make my wife happy. (That’s usually the goal in married life right?!). Since we have young kids, I really just want something with a family friendly theme (so probably not something like xenon or playboy, LOL). I understand that maintenance comes with owning a machine and things can and will get broken. I’m a DIY type guy so I’m open to learning how to work on a pinball machine. I’m not looking for or expecting a showroom piece, but I do want something that is playable and in working order for my first one. I’m ok if there are minor issues that need to be fixed initially. I just don’t want to dive in right away and buy a machine that needs major work.
    I understand the importance of finding someone local, that is good advice for sure! The problem is that there doesn't seem to be much for pinball activities in my area. There's gotta be some pinball-aholics around here, or whatever it is you guys call yourselves, I just don't know how to go about finding them at the moment. The people I talked to from binball clubs have been super helpful but the nearest one is about a two hour drive, so not exactly local.

Look on the pinside.com map for other pinheads near you as well as technicians. There are lots of pinsiders close to you. You can also check craigslist and Facebook for pin listings and pin techs in your area.

Pins can be found in the same places (Facebook, craigslist, letgo, pinside, 5 mile, estatesales.com)

#32 3 years ago

Before you completely dismiss late EMs, there’s often more going on with them than you might think at first glance, they’re not a whole lot different from early solid states, and they’re usually priced lower. For space theme, Jet Spin is a great one, as well as Target Alpha. Non-space theme pins I would suggest taking a look at are Hot Tip EM (my personal favorite), Grand Prix, and Royal Flush.

#33 3 years ago

I forget his name, but not long we had another new member asking similar questions with similar price range. He quickly tripled his budget. Funny how that works.

#34 3 years ago

One thing to note, you can usually recoupe most if not all of your purchase price should you decide to sell or upgrade later.

#35 3 years ago

Honestly 2,000 is a lot for me, I can almost justify it, (well no, not really lol) but man I really can't imagine spending 6,000 on a pinball machine, not at this point. I would be a lot more comfortable spending less than 1,000 but I figure 2,000 opens up more possibilities. Either way, I am in no rush to get one. I have no problem waiting for the right one to come along.

#36 3 years ago

There is a firepower listed on fb marketplace about 4 hr drive from me for $2,000.

It’s for sale here on pinside.
    Looks nice

#37 3 years ago

I still say Comet. I know people think I'm biased because I have one but it wasn't my first pin and is family friendly. They go for $1200-$1500 typically. As far as the others people suggested I'd go with Space Shuttle. I had a space shuttle I bought for $75, 23 years ago. Never got it working and sold it when I moved. I regret that all the time. I like multiball which the Comet doesn't have. I'm definately more a fan of 1980's-90's Williams games so I am a little biased. The cool thing about Space Shuttle, Comet and some others mentioned is that hard tops are available. You could buy a pretty worked over machine, maybe get a better deal, and hard top it later as your budget allows.

#38 3 years ago

I appreciate the advice Pinbub and everyone else. You guys have all given me some great tips and a lot to think about. I think I'll be doing some more reading and learn as much as I can before I get one. I'll look into touching base with local pinsiders from my area. I think having someone locally available to help me out would be ideal. I'll keep you guys posted and I'll post some pictures when I end up buying one. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before then though!

#39 3 years ago

I appreciate the advice Pinhub and everyone else. You guys have all given me some great tips and a lot to think about. I think I'll be doing some more reading and learn as much as I can before I get one. I'll look into touching base with local pinsiders from my area. I think having someone locally available to help me out would be ideal. I'll keep you guys posted and I'll post some pictures when I end up buying one. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before then though!

Welcome to the addiction!

#40 3 years ago

Might want to put out a local feeler for repair people in your area. Not just for repair of what you buy but maybe ask if he has some for sale. I found a semi local guy who does repair and fixed my Comet. He did a stellar job and I ended up buying my BK2K from him because I wanted one and he did great work. The BK2K was out of his personal collection so I had confidence he'd fixed it well and he did. Knock on wood, not a single flaw yet....

I'm busting his balls for his Meteor as that was my first pin but trying not to be too pushy!

#41 3 years ago

Welcome to the hobby! As you dig in you'll discover there were many types of pins
    over many eras from the earliest mechanical pins of the early 1930's to the
    NIB, latest. The one thing that ties them all together is they are all fun and challenging.

Everyone has their favorites. The best thing to do is play as many machines
    locally as you can. Like others have said, get together with folks in your area.
    Before the pandemic, there were a number of very good shows around
    the country. Hopefully they will start up again as these are the best place
    to see a wide range of pins at the same time.

This doesn't have to be an expensive hobby. Learning to fix your own pins
    pays off in the future as non-working games can often be found fairly cheap.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-this-forum-and-pinball?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.