(Topic ID: 140308)

New to this community, have a question

By duglasfresh

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pop_Bumbers.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

First, let me say that this is a great community, and that I have lurked for awhile but finally decided to make an account.

My question is this, for a hobby that requires such attention to detail, why does it seems that 95% of the pictures that I see in the market and elsewhere are nearly useless? You wouldn't accept pictures like some of these if you were buying a car. You don't see pictures as poor as some of these on most items being sold that run into the thousands of dollars.

I just don't get it...I feel as though there is some unwritten rule here that I missed.

#2 8 years ago

This point is well made, and asked often.
    There is no answer.
    Best idea is to see any game in person before buying it.

#3 8 years ago

No money left for a good camera, because pinball machines are too expensive these days.

#4 8 years ago

I 110% agree with you. I don't get it. In the other forums I participate in for other hobbies, they do not even allow a FS thread to be posted without pics and if your pics aren't good enough, all the members jump on you very quickly. It is definitely my largest pet peeve here.

My only advise is to contact the seller directly and ask for good pics. If you are going to be a serious buyer, you will be speaking to that person anyways to make sure everything is on the up and up.

#5 8 years ago

First post and first cargument....off to a great start!

#6 8 years ago

The funny thing is its very easy these days to delete a picture and take a better one. There really is no excuse.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from duglasfresh:

My question is this, for a hobby that requires such attention to detail, why does it seems that 95% of the pictures that I see in the market and elsewhere are nearly useless?

Because a used pinball machine is never 100% perfect and it's easy to sell a game with mediocre photos and vague descriptions.

One description of a game could be "works great, playfield 7.5/10, just a bulb out" and one could be "Credit dot on cannon switch, but cannon works. Unknown hack on MPU, see picture. Minor insert wear on playfield, could use a teardown, new rubbers, and a couple broken star posts. One pop bumper bulb out and replacing bulb didn't fix it, could be an SCR issue. Cabinet art slightly faded, wood chipping under legs.". Sellers don't like telling you everything wrong with a game because games have a ton of things that prevent them from being 100% even if most games have imperfections of some sort.

#8 8 years ago

Pinball machines are large items and are in dark game rooms a lot of times. It's not easy to just move it to somewhere with better light. Also flaws are difficult to photograph. The machine has tons of areas to photograph. It's not like snapping a few pics of a car part or a beanie baby. I prefer a buyer come check out the machine in person so they can decide what they think the condition is. You really can't just a machine strictly by pictures.

#9 8 years ago

because the site is f'd up and doesn't display the pics properly would be the correct answer in most cases

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from rcbrown316:

because the site is f'd up and doesn't display the pics properly would be the correct answer in most cases

So this is a compression issue??

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from duglasfresh:

It's a joke because Pinside frequently stretches out pics to full screen and makes them useless.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from DefaultGen:

Because a used pinball machine is never 100% perfect and it's easy to sell a game with mediocre photos and vague descriptions.
    Sellers don't like telling you everything wrong with a game because games have a ton of things that prevent them from being 100% even if most games have imperfections of some sort.

So are you saying this is intentional? Because honestly, that is kind of what I was thinking. Most everyone has an iPhone/android that is capable of better pictures (even in low light conditions) and some of the pics look like they were taken by an alcoholic chimpanzee that just discovered monster energy drinks.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from duglasfresh:

So are you saying this is intentional? Because honestly, that is kind of what I was thinking. Most everyone has an iPhone/android that is capable of better pictures (even in low light conditions) and some of the pics look like they were taken by an alcoholic chimpanzee that just discovered monster energy drinks.

Yep. There are dishonest people in the world. Buyer beware. I have never purchased a used pin that I haven't seen in person first.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from duglasfresh:

yep. there was a solution but I gotta dig in my memory banks give me a few

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from duglasfresh:

First, let me say that this is a great community, and that I have lurked for awhile but finally decided to make an account.
    My question is this, for a hobby that requires such attention to detail, why does it seems that 95% of the pictures that I see in the market and elsewhere are nearly useless? You wouldn't accept pictures like some of these if you were buying a car. You don't see pictures as poor as some of these on most items being sold that run into the thousands of dollars.
    I just don't get it...I feel as though there is some unwritten rule here that I missed.

you mean like this lol...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-fsft-ballys-revenge-from-mars-in-socal

#16 8 years ago

right click image and open link in new tab. next question please

#17 8 years ago

While I agree, the market dictates if the picture quality is good enough.

Bad pictures are usually a sign to me that good pictures won't be following, even if requested.

Sometimes, I will make a decision based on price, rarity and distance despite bad pictures. If it's seems overall worth it, I'll proceed.

I definitely have a price that I won't pay above without good pictures. I'm guessing that's a highly variable number based on the buyer.

#18 8 years ago

If someone's reluctant to send more specific pictures that's all you need to know.

#19 8 years ago

Because most people take pictures with a phone that has oily fingerprints on the lens and you can't tell how bad they look on a small screen. That and I'm not a professional photographer.
    Personally I don't want to deal with someone asking for a bunch of pictures anyway, if your interested enough in something I'm selling you'll come and look at it. If your the kind of person who needs a lot of pictures to decide if you want something odds are it will be sold before you make up your mind.

#20 8 years ago

looks like brent149 and ssbodyman won't be transacting any time soon. personally if I want to make a sale and need to snap some detailed pics of areas of concern I am always happy to do so. if the requester decides not to buy then i have the pics for the next guy. conversely if i want to buy something and want pics for whatever reason and the seller doesn't take them then no deal. pretty simple.

all that said i think i answered his question with my last post

#21 8 years ago

Good question, my answer is I don't put pictures in my ads. Why? First I don't know how, and even if I did I'm not in the business of selling pins and if I take a picture it's probably would fall into your category as a lousy picture. That being said I will take pictures from my phone and send them to interested party's and take more if need be.

Also even if I sell something unseen in person or played (pending pickup) I don't want a deposit because if you don't like what you see and play when you get here you shouldn't buy it and I would give back the deposit anyway. I sell to rotate my games.

#22 8 years ago

poor pictures quite often get the job done. the supply of most games is low enough that people are willing to rush on out and look even if the pictures suck.

#23 8 years ago

It is in the seller's best interest to post great photos and provide a detailed accurate description. Buyers who can bid/offer with confidence then they're more likely to part with more of their hard-earned cash.

I like when people link to external photo sites such as Flickr to present a large selection of quality photos on a decent website for viewing them at high-res. What's more, a good overhead gameplay video does wonders for buyer confidence, as well as turning up the volume on the "I MUST HAVE THIS" ringing through their brains

But all this takes effort and some sellers can't be bothered. They just want to quickly get the word out and have people drop by and look at the game. This is kind of ironic given the gargantuan amount of effort this hobby demands to get these games running and keep them running. A little bit of effort taking good photos and writing a description pales in comparison.

#24 8 years ago

OP it seems useless for some questions to be asked if you don't post your location. Especially if you were selling something. Would you mind updating your profile?

#25 8 years ago

Agreed . I know when I sell a pin a take tons of pics and tell every detail . However seeing in person is the best as even the best pictures can be somewhat deceiving. Every one ive sold to was pleasantly surprised that the machine was much nicer than I made it out to be so all very happy buyers.

#26 8 years ago

Because I'm poor but still love pinball I mostly work on EM's. Since there's not always a ton of game specific info available on some of these I usually do a thread for each game. Recently I started doing videos when I was done so people can see how the game actually plays and guys who've played these games to death can point out any issues that I don't see. Three examples.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-target-pool-how-much

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-liberty-bell-1977-a-little-late-to-the-party#post-1891730

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/genco-hits-and-runs-did-dad-pay-too-much

There's guys on here that do amazing work when repairing a game so not everybody is trying to hide something.

Oh, and I usually take some decent photos of the game too.

Close enough????
    Pop Bumbers.jpgPop Bumbers.jpg

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Close enough????
    Pop Bumbers.jpg

Beautiful picture. I think you need to be the traveling pinside photographer.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-this-community-have-a-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.