(Topic ID: 210988)

New to the pinball community. Jungle queen game.

By rmnkys

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

Just got my first machine. Its a Gottlieb Jungle Queen.
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1340
It came from a Chuck E Cheese in Southern California. From some paperwork inside, it looks like it was gone through in 84. I got it from a friend last week and am excited to start playing it. It is in working condition, but needs some love.
First start was to buy this kit.
1977 Gottlieb Jungle Queen Pinball Deluxe Tune-up Kit - Includes Rubber Ring Kit
ebay.com link: itm

Is there anything I should spray on the relays, steppers, electronics to clean them? The machine is VERY dusty/dirty. Does the kit from ebay look complete? How about the playing surface. Other than the cleaner in the kit, should I do anything else? Light bulbs to LED's?

Any other helpful hints?

Thanks

#2 6 years ago

Your kit comes with some novus, which is what you want. If the playfield is dirty, clean it with #1. If the dirt doesn't come out, try #2. If it still doesn't come out, leave it. Buy some carnuba paste wax (not cleaner wax or synthetic) and wax the playfield afterwards.

Don't spray anything on the relays. Unless you're good with EM tech, don't touch them unless there's a problem, and even then the only thing you should be doing is filing or adjusting them. Although they look dirty, only a tiny bit of the contacts needs to touch to make them work. They're designed to be self cleaning (of that tiny bit) as they brush past each other when the relay activates, so as long as you keep playing the game regularly they should stay clean

Your kit also includes sleeves, which is good. You can disassemble the flippers and pop bumpers and replace the coil sleeve. Your game could probably use a full flipper rebuild. pbresource sells kits for that, it'll make the flippers stronger and snappier.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from rmnkys:

Is there anything I should spray on the relays, steppers, electronics to clean them?

Absolutely not.
Do some reading here.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

Jungle Queen is a great game. Welcome aboard and have fun!

#4 6 years ago

Thanks. It looks like I have some reading and learning to do. I know the machine has sat for MANY years so I am hoping, with new rubber, oil, fuses, bulbs, and love, I will be able to work out some of the kinks. I know that player 1 score reels seem to be acting up, the player count in the top left isn't working correctly and some of the drop targets aren't working smoothly as well. Looking forward to learning some things.

#5 6 years ago

No oil, spray, or lubricants.

Start disassembling parts beneath the pf and clean them up using steel wool. This will help you see how the mechanical parts work and what may be dirty and making them "bind" and not feel smooth/correct.

Have fun!

#6 6 years ago

Stop thinking spray/oil/lube/love

Start thinking filing switches, adjusting, and learning how these things work.

Do NOT ever spray or oil anything. You’ll ruin the game.

#7 6 years ago

And no steel wool anywhere inside! It sheds fibers that will cause shorts.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stop thinking spray/oil/lube/love
Start thinking filing switches, adjusting, and learning how these things work.
Do NOT ever spray or oil anything. You’ll ruin the game.

So no love-lube. Gotcha.

Seriously though. I'd do the following:

- add your location to your profile - a local can help you out
- read that pinrepair link
- if he still sells these, consider this DVD - http://www.pinrepair.com/top/top1.htm
- make your next parts order from Pinball Resource - http://www.pbresource.com/
--- get the schematic from him if you don't have it already
- After cleaning the playfield, I'd concentrate on getting it working instead of cosmetics
- I'd tackle the score reel issue 1st, # players 2nd, drop targets 3rd.
--- post here with description and details/video of your first problem

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

And no steel wool anywhere inside! It sheds fibers that will cause shorts.

Yes, that's important, not inside the cab - but once the mechanical part is removed, you can steel wool it and then make sure all "particles" are removed from the part by blowing it out with a can of air.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-pinball-community-jungle-queen-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.