Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpletophat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#102 11 years ago

I JUST went through this whole process! Just got my first pin almost 3 weeks ago. I started out with a budget of $1,700, but ended up spending $2,500 for a HUO Rollercoaster Tycoon, and it was DEFINITELY the right decision. Here's some advice from my experience (some of it will echo what has been said already).

1. Follow the aforementioned advice and go play every game you possibly can! My wife and I went around for months following the Pin Map on this site playing every machine we could get our hands on. We found a lot of machines that we really liked, but more importantly we found a lot of machines that we thought we'd like, but we really didn't. In the end we ended up going back to the same place over and over and spending hours on end drinking beer and playing Rollercoaster Tycoon. Through the natural process of playing everything we could, that became the game that we wanted. A lot of people told us it sucks, but for us, this was definitely our pin for number 1, so don't put any stock in other people's opinions, because they are just that...opinions.

2. Once you decide which 1, 2, or 3 it is that you want, decide that you're going to spend on the top side of the curve for that machine and be patient until you find the right one. We waited and waited until we were frustrated, but in the end the right one popped up eventually. My RCT is GORGEOUS and it's been so much fun having it in the house. Having a beautiful machine has given me the opportunity to just start customizing, not repairing. Plus, it's your first pin. You WILL want to show it off and have people over. Having a pinball machine of your own is ridiculously cool, and for the first one, it's just the best move to have one you can proudly display!

3. Buy from a trusted Pinsider if you can. A great percentage (but obviously not all) of people who care enough to participate with this forum also care enough to take great care of their games and also to care about their reputation.

Just my $1.25 on the subject. If you take no other advice...just load up the pinmap and start playing!!!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpletophat.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-hobby?tu=purpletophat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.