Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pafasa.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 10 years ago

If I were in your area, I'd take a shot at that Super Mario Bros. To me it is a fun game. I'm partial to it though as a nintendo fan and I also have a lot of small kids in the house who love mario games. There was one on location near me for quite a while and I was always drawn to it. They don't sell for $3000+ like the author of the CL ad suggests. They might be listed for that amount, but will never sell. If it were for sale around me, $1500 would be on the high end but I would consider it if it was in good shape. I would try to get it around $1100- $1200.

There are a lot of great games under $2000. If you are set on the DMD screen, then start in the early 90's as others here have suggested. There are a ton of Early to Mid 90's games to choose from.

Good Luck and Welcome to pinball. Hope you have fun and stick around a while!

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Yes!...this IS very true. I got Pin Bot and thought it was the greatest thing in the world. Everyone would be amazed that I actually had a pinball machine in the house. Otherwise we had to go down to the shore boardwalk to play...ahhhh, the good old days!

Dude! you almost have 107K! Do you have a job????

#51 10 years ago

If you haven't contacted the seller already, it may be too late. Go for it!

Easy ramps and easy holes makes for a fun game for those new to pinball. Guests will love it for nostalgia and the fact that they can make the shots! You will like it for the same reasons.

I agree with the Pros that RareHero listed. Why not???

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Yes!...nice work if you can get it...

I remember that comment recently in another thread about running the keg??? Dammit! thats two nice jobs I have missed out on...

#72 10 years ago

Shrek is fun. If you like the theme its great! Lots of funny callouts and challenging gameplay. This is the same game as Family Guy, just "rethemed".

That's a decent price if it is not trashed. Spend a lot of time play testing it if you can. The mini playfield can be a bear to work on if it has troubles. Check also the up post between the flippers. Make sure it operates quickly up and down.

#73 10 years ago

"Investment" Maybe, but don't buy it to make money. Buy it to have fun with it and take care of it. In the end you might fetch a higher price for it or you may not. Pinball games are for fun!!

#75 10 years ago

If I had the budget for it, I'd be all over it. Kind of like Mario in the fact that most people will walk up to it and enjoy for the theme alone. This game has a lot better ruleset and is much newer than the Gottlieb Super Mario. The shots are a little harder to make though.

Go for it!

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I'll say it again because $3000 is a nice chunk of change. Make a trip to portland (call it a family vacation) and spend a day driving around to play some pins. Heck, a lot of these games getting tossed around are probably on location. Don't just take a swing in the dark on this...it's a classic mistake and may very well lead to the "what-ifs". Take your time, bro! Take your time and make sure you are getting something that is worthy before you actually get it!
    There are folks on here... heck, probably folks in this thread(!)... that will tell you titles like The Shadow or Dr. Who are awesome games. But, I'd have to say, I've played these games and they bored me to tears. They weren't my cup of tea. Not to say that the folks that love them have good (personal) reasons to love them... but it just goes to show. If I had bought The Shadow based on recommendations, I would be severely bummed right now!
    You gotta get your hands on some of these games and then make a move. There is so much that goes into enjoying a pin... you can't feel the flow or action of the flippers through a video.

Excellent advice! Very well thought out!

I have no arguement with dnast's point he seems very sincere in his effort to guide you down a happy pinball path.

I will say one thing about games on location though. When I was brand new in the pinball hobby, I was a very novice player and became very confused and overwhelmed when playing games on location. Most places I could play were very loud and it was hard for me to understand what to do on the games. I guess I need more than the flashing lights to guide me through a game. I need the audio cues as well. I rarely found a game on location that made me say "I gotta have that one!" The ones I did end up liking were in quieter places and I could concentrate on the game. The idea of try it before you buy it is very valid. I have played games with very high expectations only to find out I. Just don't like it. Wh2o is one of those games for me. I just can't get into it!

Others have suggested virtual pinball ant the like. For me, my first solid pinball experiences were on virtual tables too. I could take my time and learn the rules and decide if I like the game. What I played was Williams pinball hall of fame. It is on all the home consoles and iOS too. Maybe you could give that a try first to see what type of game you really like.

#89 10 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

You are right... games on location can be tough... but, also, they can be great too. I think it's worth the risk.

No doubt about that! Just another perspective to consider. One of my personal favorites is one of the first ones I played on location. It was one of the machines I could play without distractions. CFTBL!

On the other hand, another of my faves on location from that time is Super Mario Brothers. This game was in the middle of a very loud arcade but somehow I could hear this game enough to learn it and play it well.

Hmmm just contradicted myself. Dnast wins!! Go out for a day and play. See what comes of it.

By the way. I wish I had this problem. Hmmmm, which 2-3k machine shoul I buy for my first pin? I have three pins and less than 2k in them total! And I enjoy them all very much!

#110 10 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

I bet I would like RCT. I hadn't really considered that one, sounds like Purlpletophat got a good deal on that one! I agree with o-din, very long play times are not as much fun as short and fun...I suppose that is a lot different when you are pumping quarters in! When you say SF2 cant be given away for $700, do you mean that's about what it is worth? I'm gonna stop by my local pizza places to see what they have. As far as two machines, I would love that....but I don't really have the room. I will have to work miracles just to fit one machine in here. Unless I move in the near future I will have to just rotate one machine at a time.

I once thought I had room for two pins max! Now I have three and have a legitimate plan to fit eight (Buying them is another story). The statement above about appreciating the diversity of having two pins is right on!

#114 10 years ago

You might be surprised by Mousin Around too! Worth a look!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pafasa.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-hobby?tu=pafasa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.