Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 11 years ago

Here's one out-of-the-box suggestion:

Consider a virtual cabinet.

Ive seen them sold for around $2K. For this, you could get a sense of 100's of games that are out there, and if one floats your boat, you can try adding it down the line.

And especially if you have limited space- this MIGHT be an option to consider. I know if i could ONLY have 2 machines, a virtual cab would be one of them. If I could only have 1? Harder to say...

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

I have considered a virtual pin. I built my arcade cab from scratch, so I would not have too much trouble building a pin from scratch as well. I just do not think virtual pin is my cup of tea. I would love to attend a show or something, but I really hate to travel If I could find one in Oregon, I think I would go check it out.
    I have looked at the top rated pins and LOTR, Simpsons Pinball Party, Pirates, Shrek, and Ripleys sound like they would be fun to play. But I have never actually played any of them.

No worries- Virtual Cabs arent for everyone... and they dont replace pinball

But here's an alternate thought:

You said you havent played many of the games and travelling to shows isnt easy either.

So, download Visual Pinball to your computer and download a few of the tables mentioned.... its all FREE! Load it on your biggest monitor and bang away.

It will, at the very least, give you an interactive idea of the various games.... Id say the next best thing if you cant go play them all first.

I love using it to experience games I just cant find or play easily (CC for example), but also playing some has convinced me that Id like to own the machine (ie TSPP). So Im also using it to pre-scout future purchases as well...

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Wow, lowepg, weren't you at one pin just a few weeks ago? Coming back with a vengeance!

A little more than 1, but close...

I swear I thought I could get back into the hobby slowly...

As rationalization:
    I thought I was going to OWE big tax money this year (as I usually do), however I changed division within my company mid year in 2012. I didnt realize it was a different FEIN and they restarted my FICA, so I ended up unwittingly paying doubvle FICA- which I was able to get all back at tax time....ok- thats probably really boring tax talk- restated: instant pinball buying funds.

I also choose to liquidate some items from my other hobby/obsession, gun collecting. THAT market is at an insane price run-up and I felt it was a good time to cash in a few items...

Note: I also explained to my wife I was only buying back a fraction of my old collection... as if that was going to be a savings

Unfortunately, I don't think ill ever be able to replace games like MB and SS... so thats why I also invested in a Virtual cab from VirtuaPin.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I was showing a film at a convention there a few years ago and the guy who runs the con has a couple of comic stores. He had some nice machines there including a beautiful MB. I asked if the owner would sell it for $6k, he said probably...but asked me not to make the offer because he wanted it. Grrrr

So.... you made the offer, right?

#79 11 years ago

Wow- you nearly doubled your budget from the OP!

Quoted from loppydog:

knowing I could sell it easier if I don't like it is pretty nice.

If you really like Shrek- get it.... but IMO, don't buy it just because it looks like a decent investment. Pinball machines are heavy and make poor "currency"

The other issue is if you're spending $3500 (vs your original $2K budget), you've opened a whole new world of possibilities. For that kind of money, several of the B/W classics are well within your price range (some of my favorites). And, you are getting precariously close to being able to buy a TSPP, which in my mind is a 1000% better pin.

Regardless, make you you like it... - especially if its your first and you'll be playing it for a while.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

TSPP is actually one I think I would like, and if you think its THAT much better , I will probably hold out a while. I still wouldn't mind keeping it under $2000, but for the right machine/deal, I could go up higher. But I think my wife has cut me off at $3000 So I would probably only be able to offer $3000 even for the Shrek.

You can still get a lot of pinball for $3k! (though probably not Shrek or TSPP).

Any of these grab ya?

NGG
    FH
    FT
    RFM
    RS
    WW
    EATPM
    TS
    BSD
    CFTBL? (might be a stretch)

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

I will have to watch some gameplay of those machines....but maybe NGG or FH.

excellent choices

btw- both were designed by the same guy who designed FGY/Shrek

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from gaspumprob:

lowepg said:

You can still get a lot of pinball for $3k! (though probably not Shrek or TSPP).
    Any of these grab ya?
    NGG
    FH
    FT
    RFM
    RS
    WW
    EATPM

WHAT IS EATPM????? PLEASE HELP Thanks. Rob

EATPM= Elvira And The Party Monsters

Sidenote: i still think it should have been called Elvira and the Monster Extravaganza....

depending on your browser, if you see an abbreviating underlined here, you can hover you mouse over it and it will display the game.... very cool feature!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-hobby?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.