6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have two system 3s that I got for a relative song, and I enjoy them as much and sometimes more than some of the others- Big Hurt and Gladiators.

gladiators is actually the s3 that I wanted to buy as my first pin but the reseller took ages not responding and never ended up sending me the photos of the pin. Fun game with a lot of features for the price most of the knock on those machines is that they are a bit simple and they lack depth rules wise, I'm not a very good player so I still enjoy playing them even if I don't have the option of stacking a bunch of modes and strategies.

#102 6 years ago

I JUST went through this whole process! Just got my first pin almost 3 weeks ago. I started out with a budget of $1,700, but ended up spending $2,500 for a HUO Rollercoaster Tycoon, and it was DEFINITELY the right decision. Here's some advice from my experience (some of it will echo what has been said already).

1. Follow the aforementioned advice and go play every game you possibly can! My wife and I went around for months following the Pin Map on this site playing every machine we could get our hands on. We found a lot of machines that we really liked, but more importantly we found a lot of machines that we thought we'd like, but we really didn't. In the end we ended up going back to the same place over and over and spending hours on end drinking beer and playing Rollercoaster Tycoon. Through the natural process of playing everything we could, that became the game that we wanted. A lot of people told us it sucks, but for us, this was definitely our pin for number 1, so don't put any stock in other people's opinions, because they are just that...opinions.

2. Once you decide which 1, 2, or 3 it is that you want, decide that you're going to spend on the top side of the curve for that machine and be patient until you find the right one. We waited and waited until we were frustrated, but in the end the right one popped up eventually. My RCT is GORGEOUS and it's been so much fun having it in the house. Having a beautiful machine has given me the opportunity to just start customizing, not repairing. Plus, it's your first pin. You WILL want to show it off and have people over. Having a pinball machine of your own is ridiculously cool, and for the first one, it's just the best move to have one you can proudly display!

3. Buy from a trusted Pinsider if you can. A great percentage (but obviously not all) of people who care enough to participate with this forum also care enough to take great care of their games and also to care about their reputation.

Just my $1.25 on the subject. If you take no other advice...just load up the pinmap and start playing!!!

#103 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

I still enjoy playing them even if I don't have the option of stacking a bunch of modes and strategies.

Call me simple, but I'm not always up to an epic battle every time I want to play pinball. Some machines are just fun to play. Especially a well built machine like Gladiators that is still fast and challenging, but without getting lost in the rule set.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

Well I have very little idea what "good" prices are, especially since prices are rising. But that SF2 could probably be had for $1000.

SF2 can't be given away for $700. Baywatch is one of the best bangs for the buck and can easily be found in the $1000-1200 price range.

#105 6 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

Yeah I should probably go to Portland and play around. I wonder what is the best places are to play up there? I do feel like I can get a pretty good idea if I am NOT going to like a machine based on thorough YouTube reviews. For instance, I really like some things about the Shrek, but I think I would get tired of that stupid SmashMouth song really quickly It seems I have a thing for bad audio (music, too repetitive sounds, ect). Stargate was another I though I might get sick of "hit the pyramid!" That is one thing I can say about the the Mario Pin, it had good sounds! Again I really appreciate all the advice.
    BTW, I tried to install Visual Pinball. I could not get my Graphics set correctly, the table looked all blocky and messed up. It kept telling me I had missing objects ect. I kinda gave up on it for now

Definitely do it. I would look at the pinside map... find locations that say they have a lot of games... and then call them to see what they actually have (There's quite a few places within driving distance of my home in MD and they didn't have the exact games listed on pinside... some had been switched out and others were not working). It will be fairly easy for you to figure out where to go.

I see that your budget is between 2 and 3 grand. I'd seriously look for a way to get two machines. Don't be afraid of some of the late 1980's sys11 machines. Just because they don't have DMDs, doesn't mean they aren't fun and challenging. Taxi, F-14 tomcat... these machines are a BLAST! I'd go for it --- even if one is just in players condition. You could easily pick-up a Taxi for around $1K... even less if it's in players condition.... and then drop the other $2K on another machine. You'll appreciate having the diversity of 2 games.

Oh... and about games on location. You are going to find some that are in pretty bad shape. Sling shots are weak... rubbers are dull... etc. But you will also find some that are in spectacular shape. Still better than nothing, tho...

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

Stargate was another I though I might get sick of "hit the pyramid!"

I own a Stargate, I am quite sensitive to stupid quotes, but I swear this "hit the pyramid" is tolerable and I play this one a lot!
    An urban myth to me...

Play those games, find out which ones you like and make your own opinion!

#107 6 years ago
    Quoted from gaspumprob:

lowepg said:

You can still get a lot of pinball for $3k! (though probably not Shrek or TSPP).
    Any of these grab ya?
    NGG
    FH
    FT
    RFM
    RS
    WW
    EATPM

WHAT IS EATPM????? PLEASE HELP Thanks. Rob

EATPM= Elvira And The Party Monsters

Sidenote: i still think it should have been called Elvira and the Monster Extravaganza....

depending on your browser, if you see an abbreviating underlined here, you can hover you mouse over it and it will display the game.... very cool feature!

#108 6 years ago

I bet I would like RCT. I hadn't really considered that one, sounds like Purlpletophat got a good deal on that one! I agree with o-din, very long play times are not as much fun as short and fun...I suppose that is a lot different when you are pumping quarters in! When you say SF2 cant be given away for $700, do you mean that's about what it is worth? I'm gonna stop by my local pizza places to see what they have. As far as two machines, I would love that....but I don't really have the room. I will have to work miracles just to fit one machine in here. Unless I move in the near future I will have to just rotate one machine at a time.

#109 6 years ago

Oregon is one area that I call wet-or full of pins. Wait for a CL ad to pop up. I would get a World Cup Soccer. It makes for a great starter pin. It currently is at $2500-seems to be going rate, and is staying steady. Buy it-enjoy it-then when you want to rotate crop and do something different-trade it or sell it for what you paid for it(:

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

I bet I would like RCT. I hadn't really considered that one, sounds like Purlpletophat got a good deal on that one! I agree with o-din, very long play times are not as much fun as short and fun...I suppose that is a lot different when you are pumping quarters in! When you say SF2 cant be given away for $700, do you mean that's about what it is worth? I'm gonna stop by my local pizza places to see what they have. As far as two machines, I would love that....but I don't really have the room. I will have to work miracles just to fit one machine in here. Unless I move in the near future I will have to just rotate one machine at a time.

I once thought I had room for two pins max! Now I have three and have a legitimate plan to fit eight (Buying them is another story). The statement above about appreciating the diversity of having two pins is right on!

#111 6 years ago

also, with Stargate. If you hold both flippers down for 5 seconds before you launch the ball. Most of the guide voice call outs are drastically reduced. So if you don't need them, there is an option to stop them for the most part.

#112 6 years ago

^^^that's good to know.^^^

#113 6 years ago

Diner, Nascar, Stargate, Baywatch, Whirlwind, T2, and Starship Troopers are all excellent choices for a first $2K (or much less) pin.

#114 6 years ago

You might be surprised by Mousin Around too! Worth a look!

#116 6 years ago

Star Ship Troopers isn't bad . . . if your wife doesn't mind the bugs. I wanted one but it got the dreaded spouse veto for the insect play field toys. Cool DMD game that is under 2k now though.

#117 6 years ago

nah...I don't think she would mind that.

#118 6 years ago

you'd be surprised at how many women like SST. They all seemed to gravitate towards it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Apron Envy
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 119.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 21.00
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 199.99
    $ 9.99
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside