Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 118 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

If you haven't contacted the seller already, it may be too late. Go for it!

Easy ramps and easy holes makes for a fun game for those new to pinball. Guests will love it for nostalgia and the fact that they can make the shots! You will like it for the same reasons.

I agree with the Pros that RareHero listed. Why not???

#52 11 years ago

Too many better games for your price range. JD, DM, JM if you need a DMD. Taxi, WW, ES, Radical, Diner, EATPM if you don't.

I would buy a Williams game in great shape. Williams specifically because I think they are easier to fix than Data East. That's just my opinion though.

Your first game doesn't have to be AFM, but SMB is just too easy. Even for a very new player, I still wouldn't recommend south park.

Quoted from loppydog:

good advice jalpert...any particular reason why its not a good first game?

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

You could buy a decent working game for $1400,

This is the standard price on a Judge Dredd, my favorite machine. Welcome to pinside!

#54 11 years ago

Pinball is a lot of fun
    Bad time to buy prices are crazy right now
    You don't need to spend a lot of cash to find a fun machine (WCS94, HS2)
    Pinside is awesome

#55 11 years ago

Yes!...nice work if you can get it...

#56 11 years ago

Nice detailed info rarehero! I think I will try for this one....I am just too huge a fan of Mario. My wife's PSN name is Princess_Peachy, so she will probably love it! Thanks for all of the info, you guys are soooo helpful. I will keep ya posted.

spfxted, which are you referring to?

#57 11 years ago

Nascar is a more recent pin that can be had for around 2k. I like mine.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

spfxted, which are you referring to?

Asking if I had a job.
    I'm just a slow typer

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Yes!...nice work if you can get it...

I remember that comment recently in another thread about running the keg??? Dammit! thats two nice jobs I have missed out on...

#60 11 years ago

How far are you from Portland?

#61 11 years ago

I'm about 3 hours away from Portland. Its a drive I don't mind too bad.

#62 11 years ago

I was showing a film at a convention there a few years ago and the guy who runs the con has a couple of comic stores. He had some nice machines there including a beautiful MB. I asked if the owner would sell it for $6k, he said probably...but asked me not to make the offer because he wanted it. Grrrr

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

I was showing a film at a convention there a few years ago and the guy who runs the con has a couple of comic stores. He had some nice machines there including a beautiful MB. I asked if the owner would sell it for $6k, he said probably...but asked me not to make the offer because he wanted it. Grrrr

So.... you made the offer, right?

#64 11 years ago

This almost worked 2 weeks ago!! My friend has a bunch of pins and I said I wanted EATPM. He said he wasn't ready to sell yet. I offered $1,500 cash and his wife heard. She said to just pay her and take it! (of course, he's 6'5 and 310 and I'm not as young as I used to be....)

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

So.... you made the offer, right?

No, I did the right thing.........cried!

#66 11 years ago

Oh how I wish I could get a $1500 EATPM in Australia, it's one of my favourite pins but it's priced high here.
    If you've set up future pinball before I'd really again suggest visual pinball on a pc/laptop or whatever. Not a cabinet just for checking games if you can't get to shows or locations, you would be able to get games like mario bros on it to try out the rules and layout before buying to make sure it's what you want

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

Too many better games for your price range. JD, DM, JM if you need a DMD. Taxi, WW, ES, Radical, Diner, EATPM if you don't.
    I would buy a Williams game in great shape. Williams specifically because I think they are easier to fix than Data East. That's just my opinion though.
    Your first game doesn't have to be AFM, but SMB is just too easy. Even for a very new player, I still wouldn't recommend South Park.

Easier to fix than DE? Where did that come from? You know the boards are pretty much the same, since DE copied the system 11 boardset. Parts in a DE are pretty much identical. Only one that is different on how things work and parts is Gottlieb.

#68 11 years ago

If you are talking strictly about the boards then yes, you are correct.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You know the boards are pretty much the same, since DE copied the system 11 boardset. Parts in a DE are pretty much identical. Only one that is different on how things work and parts is Gottlieb.

#69 11 years ago

Buy from someone you know. Meet some more pin people if necessary. The machines are great, but the people make it worth coming back for in the long run.

#70 11 years ago

well it looks like the Mario pin is gone....back on the hunt

#71 11 years ago

I may be able to pick up a Shrek in excellent condition for about $3500. I have a feeling this would probably be the best investment. What do you think?

#72 11 years ago

Shrek is fun. If you like the theme its great! Lots of funny callouts and challenging gameplay. This is the same game as Family Guy, just "rethemed".

That's a decent price if it is not trashed. Spend a lot of time play testing it if you can. The mini playfield can be a bear to work on if it has troubles. Check also the up post between the flippers. Make sure it operates quickly up and down.

#73 11 years ago

"Investment" Maybe, but don't buy it to make money. Buy it to have fun with it and take care of it. In the end you might fetch a higher price for it or you may not. Pinball games are for fun!!

#74 11 years ago

yeah reselling is not my main concern, but knowing I could sell it easier if I don't like it is pretty nice. It's way above my original budget, but I am trying to keep an open mind.

#75 11 years ago

If I had the budget for it, I'd be all over it. Kind of like Mario in the fact that most people will walk up to it and enjoy for the theme alone. This game has a lot better ruleset and is much newer than the Gottlieb Super Mario. The shots are a little harder to make though.

Go for it!

#76 11 years ago

I agree with Rarehero. Just dive in and get one, try to be careful, but don't agonize for hours over making the "right" choice. Six months from now, this purchase will be just a blip on the radar, and you'll be an experienced pinball collector.

(our first was Shadow, but I would give two thumbs up to Demolition Man or Judge Dredd. The condition is the important thing for a first pin - doesn't have to be perfect but I wouldn't want to start with a project pin)

#77 11 years ago

Great games that are in the 2k ballpark (Some have already been mentioned).

JD, DM, JM, JP, DH, DrWho, T2, BOP, WCS, HS2, Stargate, SST.............

#78 11 years ago

GLWP

#79 11 years ago

Wow- you nearly doubled your budget from the OP!

Quoted from loppydog:

knowing I could sell it easier if I don't like it is pretty nice.

If you really like Shrek- get it.... but IMO, don't buy it just because it looks like a decent investment. Pinball machines are heavy and make poor "currency"

The other issue is if you're spending $3500 (vs your original $2K budget), you've opened a whole new world of possibilities. For that kind of money, several of the B/W classics are well within your price range (some of my favorites). And, you are getting precariously close to being able to buy a TSPP, which in my mind is a 1000% better pin.

Regardless, make you you like it... - especially if its your first and you'll be playing it for a while.

#80 11 years ago

TSPP is actually one I think I would like, and if you think its THAT much better , I will probably hold out a while. I still wouldn't mind keeping it under $2000, but for the right machine/deal, I could go up higher. But I think my wife has cut me off at $3000 So I would probably only be able to offer $3000 even for the Shrek.

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

TSPP is actually one I think I would like, and if you think its THAT much better , I will probably hold out a while. I still wouldn't mind keeping it under $2000, but for the right machine/deal, I could go up higher. But I think my wife has cut me off at $3000 So I would probably only be able to offer $3000 even for the Shrek.

You can still get a lot of pinball for $3k! (though probably not Shrek or TSPP).

Any of these grab ya?

NGG
    FH
    FT
    RFM
    RS
    WW
    EATPM
    TS
    BSD
    CFTBL? (might be a stretch)

#82 11 years ago

I will have to watch some gameplay of those machines....but maybe NGG or FH.

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

I will have to watch some gameplay of those machines....but maybe NGG or FH.

excellent choices

btw- both were designed by the same guy who designed FGY/Shrek

#84 11 years ago

I'll say it again because $3000 is a nice chunk of change. Make a trip to portland (call it a family vacation) and spend a day driving around to play some pins. Heck, a lot of these games getting tossed around are probably on location. Don't just take a swing in the dark on this...it's a classic mistake and may very well lead to the "what-ifs". Take your time, bro! Take your time and make sure you are getting something that is worthy before you actually get it!

There are folks on here... heck, probably folks in this thread(!)... that will tell you titles like The Shadow or Dr. Who are awesome games. But, I'd have to say, I've played these games and they bored me to tears. They weren't my cup of tea. Not to say that the folks that love them have good (personal) reasons to love them... but it just goes to show. If I had bought The Shadow based on recommendations, I would be severely bummed right now!

You gotta get your hands on some of these games and then make a move. There is so much that goes into enjoying a pin... you can't feel the flow or action of the flippers through a video.

#85 11 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I'll say it again because $3000 is a nice chunk of change. Make a trip to portland (call it a family vacation) and spend a day driving around to play some pins. Heck, a lot of these games getting tossed around are probably on location. Don't just take a swing in the dark on this...it's a classic mistake and may very well lead to the "what-ifs". Take your time, bro! Take your time and make sure you are getting something that is worthy before you actually get it!
    There are folks on here... heck, probably folks in this thread(!)... that will tell you titles like The Shadow or Dr. Who are awesome games. But, I'd have to say, I've played these games and they bored me to tears. They weren't my cup of tea. Not to say that the folks that love them have good (personal) reasons to love them... but it just goes to show. If I had bought The Shadow based on recommendations, I would be severely bummed right now!
    You gotta get your hands on some of these games and then make a move. There is so much that goes into enjoying a pin... you can't feel the flow or action of the flippers through a video.

Excellent advice! Very well thought out!

I have no arguement with dnast's point he seems very sincere in his effort to guide you down a happy pinball path.

I will say one thing about games on location though. When I was brand new in the pinball hobby, I was a very novice player and became very confused and overwhelmed when playing games on location. Most places I could play were very loud and it was hard for me to understand what to do on the games. I guess I need more than the flashing lights to guide me through a game. I need the audio cues as well. I rarely found a game on location that made me say "I gotta have that one!" The ones I did end up liking were in quieter places and I could concentrate on the game. The idea of try it before you buy it is very valid. I have played games with very high expectations only to find out I. Just don't like it. Wh2o is one of those games for me. I just can't get into it!

Others have suggested virtual pinball ant the like. For me, my first solid pinball experiences were on virtual tables too. I could take my time and learn the rules and decide if I like the game. What I played was Williams pinball hall of fame. It is on all the home consoles and iOS too. Maybe you could give that a try first to see what type of game you really like.

#86 11 years ago

You are right... games on location can be tough... but, also, they can be great too. I think it's worth the risk.

#87 11 years ago

Yeah I should probably go to Portland and play around. I wonder what is the best places are to play up there? I do feel like I can get a pretty good idea if I am NOT going to like a machine based on thorough YouTube reviews. For instance, I really like some things about the Shrek, but I think I would get tired of that stupid SmashMouth song really quickly It seems I have a thing for bad audio (music, too repetitive sounds, ect). Stargate was another I though I might get sick of "hit the pyramid!" That is one thing I can say about the the Mario Pin, it had good sounds! Again I really appreciate all the advice.

BTW, I tried to install Visual Pinball. I could not get my Graphics set correctly, the table looked all blocky and messed up. It kept telling me I had missing objects ect. I kinda gave up on it for now

#88 11 years ago

I am also seriously considering making the drive to Tacoma to check out the show. Also, NGG gameplay looks pretty cool to me with that "hole in one shot"

#89 11 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

You are right... games on location can be tough... but, also, they can be great too. I think it's worth the risk.

No doubt about that! Just another perspective to consider. One of my personal favorites is one of the first ones I played on location. It was one of the machines I could play without distractions. CFTBL!

On the other hand, another of my faves on location from that time is Super Mario Brothers. This game was in the middle of a very loud arcade but somehow I could hear this game enough to learn it and play it well.

Hmmm just contradicted myself. Dnast wins!! Go out for a day and play. See what comes of it.

By the way. I wish I had this problem. Hmmmm, which 2-3k machine shoul I buy for my first pin? I have three pins and less than 2k in them total! And I enjoy them all very much!

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

For instance, I really like some things about the Shrek, but I think I would get tired of that stupid SmashMouth song really quickly It seems I have a thing for bad audio (music, too repetitive sounds, ect).

Smashmouth only plays on the first ball...and it only gets thru some lyrics and then turns instrumental (which sounds really cool). The remaining balls are movie score music. Every game has its own limited soundtrack...so, make sure you enjoy the sound package on any game you buy.

One fun thing about Shrek - it's compatible with Family Guy's software. Stern software is updated thru USB with a memory stick, so if you get sick of Shrek, turn it into a Family Guy for a while! 2 games in 1, sorta.

#91 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

Wow- you nearly doubled your budget from the OP!

If you really like Shrek- get it.... but IMO, don't buy it just because it looks like a decent investment. Pinball machines are heavy and make poor "currency"
    The other issue is if you're spending $3500 (vs your original $2K budget), you've opened a whole new world of possibilities. For that kind of money, several of the B/W classics are well within your price range (some of my favorites). And, you are getting precariously close to being able to buy a TSPP, which in my mind is a 1000% better pin.
    Regardless, make you you like it... - especially if its your first and you'll be playing it for a while.

lowpeg's posts rock. Listen to his advice here. Also, for the price of a Shrek you could get two games that were in your original price range. Don't worry about the condition of the cab (a bad conditioned cab just gets you a cheaper price), look at the boards and make sure there are no hacks and no battery acid damage. Make sure everything works. Look for play field ware and look closely for rust and the condition of the wires. Play some games on any machine before you buy.

#92 11 years ago

Thanks Tiger, I think I know what to look for on the play field, but where are these boards you are referring to? Under the playfield? Behind the backglass? I am sure I will not check out my first pinball thoroughly enough, another good reason not to drop a bunch of cash on my first one! I was eying a SF2 pin earlier today, but I think I could do better.

#93 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

Thanks Tiger, I think I know what to look for on the play field, but where are these boards you are referring to? Under the playfield? Behind the backglass? I am sure I will not check out my first pinball thoroughly enough, another good reason not to drop a bunch of cash on my first one! I was eying a SF2 pin earlier today, but I think I could do better.

Bring someone who knows what to look for with you your first time. Post your location and ask another local pinsider to go with you and look at it. About a month ago a guy was buying a MM here on pinside, and got another pinsider to go give the machine a full walk through and then the guy bought it and was thrilled with his purchase.

Pinside is an awesome resource; use it. I wish I would have had one of the California guys go check out a pin I bought out there without seeing it . . . I had never thought about it and I ended up not getting the conditioned machine I was expecting. Lesson learned. Ask for help; people here are happy to help.

#94 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Lesson learned. Ask for help; people here are happy to help.

Oh, and if you get help from Pinside, toss a few bucks in Robin's donation basket. With all the new traffic here Robin needs every dollar possible to upgrade our servers and keep this site advertisement free as it has always been.

#95 11 years ago

will do Tiger, thanks!

#96 11 years ago
    Quoted from loppydog:

sf2 has a bad rep here but to be honest it's still a fun pin and it's built like a tank (like all prems) I'd still recommend playing some other games first if it's your first pin and you don't plan on buying some more right away if you find it boring unless the sf2 is priced really cheap. Anything you buy can always be resold or traded anyway

#97 11 years ago

yeah I wasn't completely UN-impressed with the SF2 gameplay footage. But it seemed like the "bonus" car crushing game looked kinda pointless (it was a creative idea though). Plus I would have to look at bad artwork every time I play it If it wasn't my only machine it might be OK, I would just hide it among better looking machines, but as small as my house is I think it would just totally stick out...and not in a good way.

#98 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinmanguy:

sf2 has a bad rep here but to be honest it's still a fun pin and it's built like a tank (like all prems)

I have two system 3s that I got for a relative song, and I enjoy them as much and sometimes more than some of the others- Big Hurt and Gladiators.

#99 11 years ago

Well I have very little idea what "good" prices are, especially since prices are rising. But that SF2 could probably be had for $1000.

#100 11 years ago
    Quoted from lowepg:

You can still get a lot of pinball for $3k! (though probably not Shrek or TSPP).
    Any of these grab ya?
    NGG
    FH
    FT
    RFM
    RS
    WW
    EATPM

WHAT IS EATPM????? PLEASE HELP Thanks. Rob
    TS
    BSD
    CFTBL? (might be a stretch)

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-hobby/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.