Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by NicoVolta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3382 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3379 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3377 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3380 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3378 (resized).JPG
    Kitchen-color-temperature-comparison (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I recently bought a 1979 Bally #HarlemGlobetrotter machine and it needs a bit of work to get in into good shape, and even more fork to get into GREAT shape.

I have been reading information on differences between the #44 and the #47 bulbs but as I was shopping for bulbs I came across LED's that fit inside the same port. Usually I am not a fan of LED's but the prospect of them not getting hot and messing up the back glass sounds great and not replacing them sounds fun too. Flip side is I don't want a 38 year old machine looking too new if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for the answers and Im glad to be part of the community!

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from NoobPinballGuy72:

I recently bought a 1979 Bally #HarlemGlobetrotter machine and it needs a bit of work to get in into good shape, and even more fork to get into GREAT shape.
    I have been reading information on differences between the #44 and the #47 bulbs but as I was shopping for bulbs I came across LED's that fit inside the same port. Usually I am not a fan of LED's but the prospect of them not getting hot and messing up the back glass sounds great and not replacing them sounds fun too. Flip side is I don't want a 38 year old machine looking too new if that makes sense.
    Thanks in advance for the answers and Im glad to be part of the community!

I used scattered cointaker warm white in mine and it looked about the same, and I'm the type who usually can't stand leds. It helped that I just left about half the sockets empty, the leds were bright enough to make up for it

#3 6 years ago

Many vendors out there. Comet, Nifty LED, Cointaker. Warm white will probably be closest to the original color.

Check around for a kit specifically for Harlem Globetrotters. You'll probably want to experiment anyway.

Have fun.

#4 6 years ago

Haven't made the transition to LED's yet (still using 100% #47's.
    FYI, if someone ever recommends COOL WHITE LED's (roughly 5000k) in an older 70's or 80's pin, just ignore that advice. Unless you are looking for an industrial look (similar to flourescent lighting in an automotive shop or garage) it will make you sad.
    Like those above said, WARM WHITE LEDs (roughly 2700k) are the way to go. This is the closest look to traditional incandescent bulbs.

Kitchen-color-temperature-comparison (resized).jpgKitchen-color-temperature-comparison (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

I appreciate the advice.

I think I will stick with the #47's. They are quite a bit cheaper and I want to be as close to factory as possible with my first restore.

#6 6 years ago

At home you don't really have to worry about the heat....that concern is for on location where they are on all day every day...you are already protecting yourself by using #47 instead of #44....happy flipping.........Joey

#7 6 years ago

You will be happy with single led warm white bulbs. There are 2 "shapes" of the bulbs depending on if you want the light to disperse out the end like inserts and plastics and ones that disperse out the sides like in the back glass. That prevents hot spots and evens out the light.

Warm white.

IMG_3378 (resized).JPGIMG_3378 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3380 (resized).JPGIMG_3380 (resized).JPG

Cool white.

IMG_3377 (resized).JPGIMG_3377 (resized).JPG

IMG_3379 (resized).JPGIMG_3379 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from NoobPinballGuy72:

I appreciate the advice.
    I think I will stick with the #47's. They are quite a bit cheaper and I want to be as close to factory as possible with my first restore.

Incandescent bulbs are still way cheaper than LED bulbs.

#9 6 years ago

Well that puts a whole new spin on everything.

So I ran diagnostic test on the lights and looks like I will need about 87 to start off with. Going incandescent to get her going but will switch over to warm white LED's as finances dictate.

#10 6 years ago

Your cheapest price would be to get the 100 pack bulk bulbs (of 47's) at Pinball Life for just $7.75

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2523

Or you could buy a 10 bulb pack for a $1.10 a box.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=19

#11 6 years ago

Nic has a great LED solution for older games. He uses a hybrid of sorts, so you get the benefit of a classic look, but also the benefit of the cooler LEDs. He calls it the "stealth recipe."

Check it out: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stealth-led-a-recommended-recipe-for-ems

#12 6 years ago

Send me back $5 for shipping and I will send you 100 for free.

IMG_3382 (resized).JPGIMG_3382 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

FYI, if someone ever recommends COOL WHITE LED's (roughly 5000k) in an older 70's or 80's pin, just ignore that advice. Unless you are looking for an industrial look (similar to flourescent lighting in an automotive shop or garage) it will make you sad.

Or, as I like to say: The Highway Rest Area look.

4 months later
    #14 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Your cheapest price would be to get the 100 pack bulk bulbs (of 47's) at Pinball Life for just $7.75
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2523
    Or you could buy a 10 bulb pack for a $1.10 a box.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=19

Bulk bulbs are bogus because banned from basket. Argh... out of stock! Are these ever coming back?

I wanta lotta 47's.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-game-bulb-question?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.