Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 5.43.13 PM.png
DSC09941-2.jpg
DSC09932-2.jpg
DSC09635-2.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I was recently given a 1968 Gottlieb Funland machine for the price of "You can have it if you get it out of my basement" Just had to evict the start of an old mouse nest. Luckily no wires are chewed on,only a few playing field parts have some damage. Only a little damage done to the hard to replace parts, rubbers need replaced anyway.

With the help of people like you on the net I cleaned a few contacts and got most of it working the day after it came home. Had to disconnect one pop bumper coil that is shorted to play it. Will soon be ordering parts to fix it and rebuild all 3.

I am amazed that these things have so many sets of contacts and so many electromagnets, yet they work.

Thanks for having me.

DSC09635-2.jpgDSC09635-2.jpg
#2 9 years ago

Welcome and good luck!! Let us know if there are any specific questions.

#3 9 years ago

Welcome to Pinside. There is no turning back now though. You are officially infected with the disease now that you have a machine. You'll wake up several months from now and find that this machine has asexually reproduced others, and that your wallet has shrunk simultaneously.

#4 9 years ago

Welcome. That's a fun game. As others mentioned it will not be your last. I bought my first EM 12 years ago for my basement when I realized a shuffle board game would not fit. That was over 14 games ago! I have shuffled through many and currently have 5 at my house and 1 'on loan' at a buddies garage. Enjoy the ride.

#5 9 years ago

Great looking game! I like the two spinners and art work, very nice. Next one should be with drop down targets, then vari targets and more roll overs, then don't stop there. Welcome.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Welcome to Pinside. There is no turning back now though. You are officially infected with the disease now that you have a machine. You'll wake up several months from now and find that this machine has asexually reproduced others, and that your wallet has shrunk simultaneously.

Yes, you will find more and more games wanting in.

#7 9 years ago

Welcome and enjoy the machine, it looks really nice already and once you get it cleaned up you'll really have a gem on your hands!

Tom

#8 9 years ago

Howdy!

Looks like your on your way to being an EMholic...........Congrats!

No turning back now, your fate is sealed.

Ken

#9 9 years ago

He's hooked.

He's doomed.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks everyone. For now I will be happy to get everything right on this one but I know what you mean about things multiplying. 18 months ago we brought home a 1950 Westinghouse refrigerator. In less than 1 year I owned 13 old frigs from 1932 to 1962. And a 1952 International Harvester chest freezer. Now 2 have found new homes and 6 more took their places. Not much room for a lot a pinball machines.

After I get the pop bumpers all rebuilt and new rubber and such I want to figure out just what they have done to make this game free play. Doesn't matter if the contacts in the replay control are open or closed the start switch still works. No jumper wire at that end either. Not too worried about it yet but want the replay wheel to work so I can score a special someday.

#11 9 years ago

Welcome! for freeplay, pretty easy to close one switch on the replay unit as documented here-
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free
check out the rest of the guide for tons of great info!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Blewitonpinball:

I was recently given a 1968 Gottlieb Funland machine for the price of "You can have it if you get it out of my basement" Just had to evict the start of an old mouse nest. Luckily no wires are chewed on,only a few playing field parts have some damage. Only a little damage done to the hard to replace parts, rubbers need replaced anyway.
With the help of people like you on the net I cleaned a few contacts and got most of it working the day after it came home. Had to disconnect one pop bumper coil that is shorted to play it. Will soon be ordering parts to fix it and rebuild all 3.
I am amazed that these things have so many sets of contacts and so many electromagnets, yet they work.
Thanks for having me.

DSC09635-2.jpg 241 KB

Congrats on your 1st game. Didn't take you long to get it going. If you need parts or anything or want to play a game or two I'm about 30 minutes away in Trivoli. Order your parts from Pinball Resource in NY if you don't already know - they're the best for Gottlieb em's.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Welcome! for freeplay, pretty easy to close one switch on the replay unit as documented here-
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free
check out the rest of the guide for tons of great info!

I have seen this procedure but it has not been done on my game. They have done something as the replay unit does nothing at all yet the start button starts the game even with those contacts open or closed..

I found that site first and it is the reason I was able to get the game to live again. The score motor would not stop turning till I read on that site to clean the contacts in the score reels. Can't thank the author enough for posting all the info on repair.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Congrats on your 1st game. Didn't take you long to get it going. If you need parts or anything or want to play a game or two I'm about 30 minutes away in Trivoli. Order your parts from Pinball Resource in NY if you don't already know - they're the best for Gottlieb em's.

I got lucky and found www.pinrepair.com right away. It is the reason I had it working the day after it came home.

I have been studding the PBR site for days and have a list of $115 worth of parts I plan to order soon from them. Don't get to Trivoli often but will try to take you up on your offer when I can find time. Self employed with too many side hobby's and a 16 year old to follow around every weekend with the IVC Marching Grey Ghosts. Also a Scout leader. 8 hours of sleep is over rated no ones needs that much lol

#15 9 years ago

Glad to see you join. And thanks for putting where you live in your information. I think that gives people a 'vision' of the person they are talking with on here.
Mike in Kentucky

#16 9 years ago

the pinballninja.com site is good too because it has a lot of videos and pictures of game repairs (both EM and solid state.) but it's subscription at $20.

#17 9 years ago

pinballninja is well worth the $20 especially since Clay (cfh above) is making pinrepair.com/ems free to us along with offering the ninja. It's kind of a way to pay him back a little but get all that good ninja info. in the process. Thanks again Clay!

#18 9 years ago

Hi and welcome bud....it gets a bit crazy around here...but I've learned that's half the fun.. ............Joey

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

the pinballninja.com site is good too because it has a lot of videos and pictures of game repairs (both EM and solid state.) but it's subscription at $20.

Thanks for the tip, I had not heard of pinballninja yet. I may end up there before long. Either way I owe you a big thank you for the info at pinrepair.com. Your info and my 37years of RHVAC knowledge are the reason I was able to get my machine up and running so fast. I know what it is like to spend hours uploading pics and info on my old ChevyIIS and GE monitor top refrigerators. All done just too help others, just like your site.

THANK YOU so much for taking the time to help others, it is apreciated!

#20 9 years ago

Thanks everyone. For now I will be happy to get everything right on this one but I know what you mean about things multiplying. 18 months ago we brought home a 1950 Westinghouse refrigerator. In less than 1 year I owned 13 old frigs from 1932 to 1962. And a 1952 International Harvester chest freezer. Now 2 have found new homes and 6 more took their places. Not much room for a lot a pinball machines.

But you can't "play" a refrigerator, can you?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

But you can't "play" a refrigerator, can you?

No but I can listen to it run while I am playing. The old frigs have sounds of there own the new ones don't make.

2 months later
#22 9 years ago

Finally got around too ordering parts today from Pinball Resource. Hope to get the pop bumpers rebuilt and other stuff soon.

// Error: Image 325731 not found // // Error: Image 325732 not found // // Error: Image 325733 not found // // Error: Image 325734 not found //
#23 9 years ago

the ninja site has over 800 repair blog entries on all sorts of games. the table of contents lists them by manufacturer and type of repair (that is, EM, wpc, system11, etc.) To get a userid a $20 paypal donation (or more if you wish) is required. i find it interesting that a lot of people don't have a problem dropping $100 for parts to a pinball parts retailer, yet find the $20 ninja donation an issue. if a particular repair site wasn't available in the first place, and you couldn't get the game running, the parts order wouldn't happen. (actually steve young should send in that $20 for new customers.) i just find it weird that people have no problem dropping hundreds of dollars in parts, yet the whole reason they are able to do that in the first place, was they got their game running due to a particular repair resource. basically it comes down to the thousands of hours of work required for repair resources are negated because they are just bytes, opposed to say a round rubber ring or light bulb. just a random observation, sorry for the interruption...

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

the ninja site has over 800 repair blog entries on all sorts of games. the table of contents lists them by manufacturer and type of repair (that is, EM, wpc, system11, etc.) To get a userid a $20 paypal donation (or more if you wish) is required. i find it interesting that a lot of people don't have a problem dropping $100 for parts to a pinball parts retailer, yet find the $20 ninja donation an issue. if a particular repair site wasn't available in the first place, and you couldn't get the game running, the parts order wouldn't happen. (actually steve young should send in that $20 for new customers.) i just find it weird that people have no problem dropping hundreds of dollars in parts, yet the whole reason they are able to do that in the first place, was they got their game running due to a particular repair resource. basically it comes down to the thousands of hours of work required for repair resources are negated because they are just bytes, opposed to say a round rubber ring or light bulb. just a random observation, sorry for the interruption...

Many of us on here, really appreciate your site and efforts Ninja.....and yes, the entry fee is a small price to pay for a continuing education!

#25 9 years ago

Ill second the motion for the ninja.

Great information and a huge help.

--Jeff

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Wish you'd don the shaggy gear for some more how-to vids. More Candy too if you do.

#27 9 years ago

Apparently candy is fat now so we would need a new candy...

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Wow didn't know ordering parts was a crime. I am new to this and don't mean to step on toes but I haven't even gotten around to checking out the Ninja site. Sorry that the other info I found solved my problems I have run into so far. $20 won't break me I am just a very busy self employed person with a family and too many hobbies. I am addicted to fixing things I guess. Will try to find time to check out the Ninja site soon. I assume it is yours? Like I said I am new here and don't already know all these things.

#29 9 years ago

Wow didn't know ordering parts was a crime. I am new to this and don't mean to step on toes but I haven't even gotten around to checking out the Ninja site. Sorry that the other info I found solved my problems I have run into so far. $20 won't break me I am just a very busy self employed person with a family and too many hobbies. I am addicted to fixing things I guess. Will try to find time to check out the Ninja site soon. I assume it is yours? Like I said I am new here and don't already know all these things.

It is not & you did not tread on any toes.
I don't think the earlier post was directed at you personally rather than a sermon from the mount of a highly respected pinballer. but it reminds me I must pay up with a donation.

#30 9 years ago

Don't worry about and don't take it hard.

Clay is kind of a pinball repair legend and he runs a number of excellent pin repair resources.

http://pinrepair.com/ (free)

http://www.pinballninja.com/ (pay to access but 20 bucks is a bargain)
I use pinballninja all the time, the vids are excellent

The series of This Old Pinball DVDs which are highly recommended.

RussMyers

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Wish you'd don the shaggy gear for some more how-to vids. More Candy too if you do.

Yeah, but ditch Norm. He is irritating to say the least.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Yeah, but ditch Norm. He is irritating to say the least.

Agreed. Just interrupts a ton

I guess in some respects the ninja site, which I'm a member, has taken over the need for dvd videos.

Really highly recommend the site. Pay the few bucks they ask and learn a TON about repairs. It's truly an invaluable service being provided and documented.

1 week later
#33 9 years ago

I took the Funland to the local Boy Scout Troop electronics week end. It was keeping my 36 RCA radio we listened to the oldies on company. 15 boys and a few siblings and parents all got to play. Needless to say none of the boys games were EM.

DSC09941-2.jpgDSC09941-2.jpg

DSC09932-2.jpgDSC09932-2.jpg

#34 9 years ago

That's cool! I like your head transport dolly!

#35 9 years ago

Electronics merit badge for the Boy Scouts!

Bet everyone had fun playing it.

#36 9 years ago

What's up with PinballNinja.com? Is this what I'm supposed to see?

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 5.43.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-12-15 at 5.43.13 PM.png

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from coop:

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 5.43.1... 67 KB

I had the same difficulty a couple of weeks ago after Clay had posted the donation regime. I tried to navigate the site to make a donation but it seemed it only covered existing 'members' so I gave up.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from coop:

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 5.43.1... 67 KB

Yes, that's what you see. You have to log in to view the Ninja site and if you donate to Clays site he will set you up with a user name & password to log in. Use his e-mail for donations: [email protected]

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

if you donate to Clays site he will set you up with a user name & password to log in.

Got it. I have his DVDs on the way but maybe soon I'll double back. I appreciate the info. Thanks!

#40 9 years ago
#41 9 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That's cool! I like your head transport dolly!

Thanks, I started a thread on the dolly in the transportation forum. If you want to see more pics. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-pin-head-wagon

It didn't set idle much, there was someone playing it most of the time. I even reached a new hi score that weekend.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-forum-and-pinball-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.