(Topic ID: 299621)

New to the addiction. Just saying hello.

By duckkillerclyde

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243350783_364449468713620_2174493055045954151_n (resized).jpg
    241144811_1336531276744789_159520477596422067_n (resized).jpg
    240935120_891102395100187_8304038399783639667_n (resized).jpg
    241145581_2915761198636430_2251565042901487492_n (resized).jpg
    240823608_1224265078046783_5509558593894260486_n (resized).jpg
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I grew up with Jet Spin in my folks' house. didn't play it for 25 years. My father passed away about 5 years ago and my mother is FINALLY decided I could have the game. I only have one sister who has zero interest and never really has.

After setting up the game in my home, I realize that I neglected to tell my wife that it even existed. After a quick cleaning we've decided that we really like pinball. The worst part is waiting for your turn. I solved that solution buy purchasing Gold Strike this evening.

Notice my score on Jet Spin. Notice it's still on ball one. I have a frustrating personal high score on Jet Spin of 404,130. It's frustrating because the wife wouldn't come quick enough to video my accomplishment.

240823608_1224265078046783_5509558593894260486_n (resized).jpg240823608_1224265078046783_5509558593894260486_n (resized).jpg241145581_2915761198636430_2251565042901487492_n (resized).jpg241145581_2915761198636430_2251565042901487492_n (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Welcome to the hobby/addiction. I laughed when I read that your Jet Spin pin has bred already.
    Doesn't take long! Your house will be overrun with pins soon. lol

#3 2 years ago

Welcome to the affliction!

Looks like things are off to a great start.

#4 2 years ago

Jet Spin, on of the best gottlieb EM's. Great hobby with great people, welcome

#5 2 years ago

Welcome! It looks like you’ve already taken the plunge!

#6 2 years ago

Welcome! Beware of pinball math! Pinball math is the self justification of the numbers associated with thinking about: the size of the space for the next piece, the cost of gas money to go get it, the price, the number of days extra to work to afford it, the time spent playing it compared to all other time spent doing anything else, the presumed inflation value when you sell it in order to afford the next two, the size of the space for the next two, the cost of getting them shipped, the days off needed to properly set them up, the time and cost of the repairs of the machines you already have plus the ones you just got, the travel distance to the nearest site or event to check out other machines you might be interested in but can’t afford, the amount of time and energy it will take to afford them, the detailed measurements of the small amount of remaining space left to put them, the credit card fees to purchase at least one of them as you are now dealing with your first NIB, the cost of the add on to the house in order to fit more, the time you wish your wife would play more so she could understand your delusional math justifications, and so on… (all this and I didn’t even mention the OCD numbers associated with actually playing them - the rules, scores, etc)… Have fun!!!

#7 2 years ago

Welcome! This hobby is a blast with many tangents to explore. Do some research, go
    to shows and meet as many people locally as you can to see what else is out there.
    Steve

#8 2 years ago

Man, don't play "Gold Strike" if you do that well on "Jet Spin"! Your game will never end!

#9 2 years ago

Two great games, welcome to the addiction!

#10 2 years ago

Welcome to a great addiction!

#11 2 years ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of pinball !

LTG : )

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from SDpinballer:

Welcome! Beware of pinball math! Pinball math is the self justification of the numbers associated with thinking about: the size of the space for the next piece, the cost of gas money to go get it, the price, the number of days extra to work to afford it, the time spent playing it compared to all other time spent doing anything else, the presumed inflation value when you sell it in order to afford the next two, the size of the space for the next two, the cost of getting them shipped, the days off needed to properly set them up, the time and cost of the repairs of the machines you already have plus the ones you just got, the travel distance to the nearest site or event to check out other machines you might be interested in but can’t afford, the amount of time and energy it will take to afford them, the detailed measurements of the small amount of remaining space left to put them, the credit card fees to purchase at least one of them as you are now dealing with your first NIB, the cost of the add on to the house in order to fit more, the time you wish your wife would play more so she could understand your delusional math justifications, and so on… (all this and I didn’t even mention the OCD numbers associated with actually playing them - the rules, scores, etc)… Have fun!!!

Don't forget the time spent on Pinside typing up responses to peoples posts that take a bit of time which could be applied to more thought about buying the next pin but that are absolutely hilarious and totally worth the effort and are appreciated by other pinsiders.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from duckkillerclyde:

The worst part is waiting for your turn. I solved that solution buy purchasing Gold Strike this evening.

I don’t know, man. It sounds like you’ve been at this for years already

Welcome though! Enjoy your stay! The EM folks are some of the friendliest and helpful around.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Man, don't play "Gold Strike" if you do that well on "Jet Spin"! Your game will never end!

I'm about 5 games in. 109,400 so far. Top right cactus is a real trickster for me. I Need to remember that I have flippers up top. LOL

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I don’t know, man. It sounds like you’ve been at this for years already
    Welcome though! Enjoy your stay! The EM folks are some of the friendliest and helpful around.

I'm very impatient. Just ask my wife. I was courteous enough to let her play first after we got it home.

#16 2 years ago

I need wax. What do you guys recommend? PNW. Wet winters, moderate temps. Obviously they'll be in the house.
    Best place to order new rubbers? Might as well tune them up. Both machines are on old rubbers.
    What do I clean the board with? Lemon Pledge?

#17 2 years ago
    240935120_891102395100187_8304038399783639667_n (resized).jpg240935120_891102395100187_8304038399783639667_n (resized).jpg241144811_1336531276744789_159520477596422067_n (resized).jpg241144811_1336531276744789_159520477596422067_n (resized).jpg
    #18 2 years ago

Top right cactus is a real trickster for me.

Longest shot in all of pinball from the bottom left flipper. Hitting it with the top left flipper is so satisfying.

#19 2 years ago

I need wax. What do you guys recommend? PNW. Wet winters, moderate temps. Obviously they'll be in the house.
    Best place to order new rubbers? Might as well tune them up. Both machines are on old rubbers.

Clean and polish with Novus 2. High content carnauba wax is best. I like One Grand Blitz and it does a good job on the car too. Get your parts including rings from The Pinball Resource. They don’t have online ordering capability but is worth getting aligned to their methods. Search posts on here about them.

#20 2 years ago

Keep pledge FAR away from your games. A light clean with novus 2 and carnauba wax like MikeO suggested. Make sure it is a very high content carnauba wax. Modern waxes claim carnauba in the title but many contain oils that aren't great for playfields, especially porous non-clear coated em’s. Welcome to the hobby, seek advice on the em owners thread those guys are really knowledgeable and helpful.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Longest shot in all of pinball from the bottom left flipper. Hitting it with the top left flipper is so satisfying.

Close, but no cigar. The shot from the lower right flipper on Genie to the upper left drop on the mini playfield is longer, no?

#22 2 years ago

Awesome.
    I very much enjoy reading these sort of posts.
    Welcome to pinside.

#23 2 years ago

Novus 1 for the cleaning and then Blitz wax all the way.

https://www.amazon.com/One-Grand-Blitz-Carnauba-Wax/dp/B0009KMH20

Oh, and just a little advice. I wouldn't put them so close together.....they multiply.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Close, but no cigar. The shot from the lower right flipper on Genie to the upper left drop on the mini playfield is longer, no?

I didn't consider widebody games in my statement. I stand corrected.

But it is damn long.

#26 2 years ago

Greetings from Germany and welcome to Pinside. I used to own Jet Spin and Gold Strike’s replay brother, El Dorado. Both great games. The problem is now you have two they will start breeding.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:Clean and polish with Novus 2. High content carnauba wax is best. I like One Grand Blitz and it does a good job on the car too. Get your parts including rings from The Pinball Resource. They don’t have online ordering capability but is worth getting aligned to their methods. Search posts on here about them.

He seemed very knowledgeable. I was impressed.

#28 2 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome.

For some reason it only lets me do 4 posts a day.

#29 2 years ago

For some reason it only lets me do 4 posts a day.

That will change when you are no longer a Pinside apprentice. robin could tell you exactly what triggers that, I didn't see it in the help files.
    Getting verified would probably also do it. https://pinside.com/pinball/my-pinside/verification

#30 2 years ago

The wife agreed that we should probably be purchasing a machine every 6 months to a year. I think that's fairly reasonable. I feel like a goal of a dozen or two dozen machines is acceptable.

Problem is We're going to be moving to our home on the coast in a year or two. As an avid bird hunter, I already have so many things to move. Waterfowl decoys like you wouldn't believe, then there's the classic cars I started buying while I was in high school.

I'm not wealthy, I just don't sell things that I own. If I did, I would spend the money and not have the item or the money. LOL

I feel like I need to get at least a dozen machines quick then have a cruise in with pinball. EM machines seem to be the only ones that interest me. I don't enjoy the sound and feel of any of the machines I've played from the 80's and 90's. Maybe I just haven't played the right ones. Not too many arcades around here. Maybe I'm just old fashioned for being 39.

#31 2 years ago

IFPA calender shows events at Next Level in Hillsboro OR pretty often.
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=43786#
    You can make some good contacts at events even if competition play isn't your thing.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

IFPA calender shows events at Next Level in Hillsboro OR pretty often.
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/tournaments/view.php?t=43786#
    You can make some good contacts at events even if competition play isn't your thing.

I have to be in Hillsboro in less than 6 hours for work. I just woke up. I would fire up a machine but I enjoy being married.

I'm don't even know what ifpa pinball is but I'm going to look into it. It'll be February or better before I could do anything as I need to bird hunt for my dogs and daughter. You can't eat a pinball.

3 weeks later
    #34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hyperball91:

Welcome to the hobby/addiction. I laughed when I read that your Jet Spin pin has bred already.
    Doesn't take long! Your house will be overrun with pins soon. lol

Added Spirit of '76 last night so we're up to 3.

#35 2 years ago

Yes ...but what birds have you taken down lately?

#36 2 years ago

3? wow, that didn't take long, lol

#37 2 years ago

It took me 6 months to buy no 2 and 3, take it easy fella, or you will soon be throwing out furniture for more pin room.

BTW....anyone want a broken leather recliner?

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Yes ...but what birds have you taken down lately?

one grouse and one quail. not
    many.

#39 2 years ago

one grouse and one quail. not
    many.

My brother-in-law manages some hunting ranches and we went out for some deer one thanksgiving morning. Turkeys were everywhere. I could've tripped over 20 of them, lol. I kept wanting to bag a couple, but then I remembered how much trouble it was to pluck them and that ended my thoughts real quick. Wild turkeys are also far smaller than those butterball ones you see on TV, so that came into the equation too.

I did have to stop taking down deer though, because I got so many I almost didn't even have time to quarter and pack them! Not a bad problem to have.

#40 2 years ago

The wife agreed that we should probably be purchasing a machine every 6 months to a year. I think that's fairly reasonable. I feel like a goal of a dozen or two dozen machines is acceptable.
    Problem is We're going to be moving to our home on the coast in a year or two. As an avid bird hunter, I already have so many things to move. Waterfowl decoys like you wouldn't believe, then there's the classic cars I started buying while I was in high school.
    I'm not wealthy, I just don't sell things that I own. If I did, I would spend the money and not have the item or the money. LOL
    I feel like I need to get at least a dozen machines quick then have a cruise in with pinball. EM machines seem to be the only ones that interest me. I don't enjoy the sound and feel of any of the machines I've played from the 80's and 90's. Maybe I just haven't played the right ones. Not too many arcades around here. Maybe I'm just old fashioned for being 39.

If you come across a GTB Spiderman, Haunted House, Sinbad, Black Hole or Mars:GOW locally,
    play them and see if they are pins you enjoy. I'm also into EMs but also have quite a few
    early SS pins and consider them to be very good. The usual route new pinheads take is buy
    everything in sight, restore and play them, then sell off the ones that they don't like.
    Its how many of us have explored the hobby and takes time but sounds like you are well
    on your way.

#41 2 years ago

Welcome to the addiction!! Spirit of '76 is a great game, the "designer" Wayne Neyens turned 103 in July! He's a super nice guy and loves pinball! I restored ours soon after we got it and took it to Pinball Expo in Chicago in 2009, Wayne signed it for me and also made a special circuit that we installed on it to play a joke on a friend from Australia!!
    LOL!! up to 3...Great start we had a similar start ('01) back when we started in this crazy hobby!! We started with Space Shuttle which was a game we had played while dating ('84), then we picked up a Black Knight, then a Sorcerer. Then we picked up a 2nd Space Shuttle because we also had the restoration bug and we didn't want to be down 1 pin while we restored it! I've restored 100's now and we're up to 65 pins and we've remodeled and added on to be able to have more up in our house.
    We have lots of Williams early solid state (SS) games and love them. At 1 point we had all the system 7 pins, all the system 9 pins and all the system 6 pins as well as like 8 system 11's...we have since paired it down by a few but still have most of the system 7s and they're super fun games! We also have several newer Sterns and some EM's. We find variety is the spice of pinball!!
    We have a local pinball group Cincy Pinball and we started a Cincy Pinball League in 2013, we have 32 people playing with folks waiting to play if someone doesn't return for the next season. We also have a yearly Summer tourney here at our house (we had our 6th annual 1 back in June) so we're deep into it!! LOL!!
    Welcome!! and start planning where the next ones will go now so when they "appear" you won't have to rush to fit them in when you bring them home!
    Enjoy and Good Flippin'!!
    Phoebe

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

My brother-in-law manages some hunting ranches and we went out for some deer one thanksgiving morning. Turkeys were everywhere. I could've tripped over 20 of them, lol. I kept wanting to bag a couple, but then I remembered how much trouble it was to pluck them and that ended my thoughts real quick. Wild turkeys are also far smaller than those butterball ones you see on TV, so that came into the equation too.
    I did have to stop taking down deer though, because I got so many I almost didn't even have time to quarter and pack them! Not a bad problem to have.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Here's the first of three spring turkeys.

#44 2 years ago

I picked up this one tonight. I don't like the colored lights so those things will be gone soon enough. This one is a project. Sometimes it counts balls, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it will do player 2, sometimes it doesn't.

243350783_364449468713620_2174493055045954151_n (resized).jpg243350783_364449468713620_2174493055045954151_n (resized).jpg
    #45 2 years ago

There sure is a quality difference between Gottlieb and Williams. Gottlieb being far superior.

#46 2 years ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

Second photo. Is that Jase on the far left?

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Second photo. Is that Jase on the far left?

No. It's Toby. I don't know anyone by that name.

2 weeks later
    #48 2 years ago

There sure is a quality difference between Gottlieb and Williams. Gottlieb being far superior.

Can someone expand on this? Is there a reason to avoid any EMs that aren’t Gottlieb? I plan to get a couple EMs eventually.

#49 2 years ago

Don't be reluctant to buy games which are not Gottlieb, unless maybe earlier Chicago Coin.
    They all have their good and bad points, but generally speaking, Gottlieb games have a reputation of being the most well built and best playing games. Not that Williams and Bally didn't have good games as well; they did.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Can someone expand on this? Is there a reason to avoid any EMs that aren’t Gottlieb? I plan to get a couple EMs eventually.

The answer is there is no reason to avoid other manufacturer’s’ games especially Bally and Williams. Personally I enjoy the subtle and not so subtle differences like chimes, score reels, artwork etc and the big 3 all produced quality machines.

One thing I like to do before deciding to buy a machine that I’ve never played but like the looks of, is watch as many YouTube videos of it as there are. You can get a feel of how fun it might be even if there’s nothing like playing it in person.

Let us know when you add some EMs.

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-addiction-just-saying-hello?hl=chewiec and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.