(Topic ID: 299621)

New to the addiction. Just saying hello.

By duckkillerclyde

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DanMarino
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

243350783_364449468713620_2174493055045954151_n (resized).jpg
    241144811_1336531276744789_159520477596422067_n (resized).jpg
    240935120_891102395100187_8304038399783639667_n (resized).jpg
    241145581_2915761198636430_2251565042901487492_n (resized).jpg
    240823608_1224265078046783_5509558593894260486_n (resized).jpg
    There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 2 years ago

I’m a fan of spinners, drop targets, and kick out holes. I like Agrosy a ton and Old Chicago is fun too.

Is it me, or do the Gottlieb games seem to be lacking in the spinner department? Haha

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

I’m a fan of spinners, drop targets, and kick out holes. I like Agrosy a ton and Old Chicago is fun too.
    Is it me, or do the Gottlieb games seem to be lacking in the spinner department? Haha

Bally Night Rider is the game for you then. Love mine.

#53 2 years ago

Gottlieb had a few games with spinners; the first being "Swing-Along" way back in 1963. I believe it was the very first pinball game ever with the feature.

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Is there a reason to avoid any EMs that aren’t Gottlieb?

No. They are all good.

Condition is everything. That is true regardless of manufacturer.

#55 2 years ago

There are several Gottliebs with spinners. I have a Ship Ahoy and a Golden Arrow, both with spinners. I’ve also owned a Soccer and a Top Score, both with spinners and backbox bonus animation to go with them.

Alberto

#56 2 years ago

All Pinball Machine's are fun.
    Not all Pinball Machine's are great.

Gonzo73. 2020.

#57 2 years ago

Yes....... I quoted myself, I'm drinking, Dodgers lost.....
    Give me a break.

#58 2 years ago

Don’t listen to them .Run for your life and run fast !

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

All Pinball Machine's are fun.
    Not all Pinball Machine's are great.
    Gonzo73. 2020.

Not all esses get apostrophés!

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from gonzo73:

Yes....... I quoted myself, I'm drinking, Dodgers lost.....
    Give me a break.

If you are drinking every time the dodgers lose, you should probably just go ahead and contact AA

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

If you are drinking every time the dodgers lose, you should probably just go ahead and contact AA

Hey now, my homeboy Will Smith has been awesome. Go Dodgers.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Can someone expand on this? Is there a reason to avoid any EMs that aren’t Gottlieb? I plan to get a couple EMs eventually.

While I only own 3 Gottlieb and 1 William's, the Gottlieb game is made of better, thicker wood on the cabinet, the flippers are hit hard and heavy on Gottlieb while my William's feels lighter. Even the start button is a higher quality button on Gottlieb's.

This is just my opinion from my limited experience.

1 month later
    #63 2 years ago

Added Royal Flush.

#64 2 years ago

Royal Flush - the 1976 Gottlieb one? If so, that's a great game! Ed Krinsky said that was his favorite of his own games. My "Card Whiz" probably gets the most play of my machines (although "Quick Draw" is a close second).

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from paulace:

Royal Flush - the 1976 Gottlieb one? If so, that's a great game! Ed Krinsky said that was his favorite of his own games. My "Card Whiz" probably gets the most play of my machines (although "Quick Draw" is a close second).

That would be the one.

Quick draw is on my list.

3 months later
    #66 2 years ago
    Quoted from paulace:

I picked up a quick draw a few weeks ago.

#67 2 years ago

6 months in to this hobby and I have 9 machines. I just want them all.

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from duckkillerclyde:

And a very nice collection too!

#69 2 years ago

It appears you have limited yourself to only EM games. Wait until a deal on a solid state game comes up and opens up a whole new pool of games to challenge your limits.

Enjoy.

#70 2 years ago

There sure is a quality difference between Gottlieb and Williams. Gottlieb being far superior.

I own an almost equal number of Gottlieb, Williams and Bally games and Williams games are built every bit as well as Gottlieb games. And Williams games are easier to work on. Now, Ballys' do use cheaper light sockets and their fuse blocks are junk, but those are relatively minor quibbles. I'd still rather deal with them than a Gottlieb AX Relay or an AS Spin Relay. I find Williams to have the best combination of reliability with ease of maintenance.

Don't get me wrong. I like Gottliebs just as well as Williams and Bally. Each have their pluses and minuses, but none of the big three have any huge build quality difference.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

And a very nice collection too!

Thank you.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

It appears you have limited yourself to only EM games. Wait until a deal on a solid state game comes up and opens up a whole new pool of games to challenge your limits.
    Enjoy.

While I've played SS games in taverns and other pin heads houses while I'm picking up an EM, I don't get the enjoyment out of them. Maybe that will change in time but I can buy 10 to 1 EM to SS.

#73 2 years ago

While I've played SS games in taverns and other pin heads houses while I'm picking up an EM, I don't get the enjoyment out of them. Maybe that will change in time but I can buy 10 to 1 EM to SS.

Manny of the early SS games play just like the EM’s because that is all they knew, they play faster and more efficient. I think you would really enjoy a Bally eight ball or something like a Matahari. Just my two cents.

#74 2 years ago

You are right about the dot matrix and newer games. I was meaning the early solid state games.

You’d be surprised how affordable and fun a Gottlieb System 1 game can be.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

You are right about the dot matrix and newer games. I was meaning the early solid state games.
    You’d be surprised how affordable and fun a Gottlieb System 1 game can be.

Although the EM versions are scarce and more collectable,
    I prefer the gameplay of the SS versions of most of the early transition games, especially "Joker Poker", and "Mata Hari".

#76 2 years ago

Joker Poker is great fun!

There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-the-addiction-just-saying-hello/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.