(Topic ID: 296382)

New to repair.. which Bally 2518-54 board should I buy?

By Dave2k21

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dave2k21
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AS-2518-54.png
AS-2518-18.png
#1 2 years ago

I'm troubleshooting a Bally Kings of Steel that has a blown fuse on F3 5v, and after watching a lot of YouTube vids I discovered my BR2 is giving much higher voltage on + to -. The other tests are fine at .450ish. Tried ordering rectifiers to replace but they ended up being wrong ones (for 18 board). Therefore my parents asked I just get a new board replacement for the stock one.

I found 2, one an anarchy from pinballlife

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-100-0096-00

And other a Rottendog from Arcadeshop, which is where I also got the universal mpu board to replace stock a4.

https://www.arcadeshop.com/i/911/bally-power-rectifier-board-for-late-80s-pins.htm

Which one should I get? I notice the one has diodes used for br2 (?) but no heat sink br1. I thought being likely 35 amp since it's on top of board it would have one.

#2 2 years ago

Rottendog is no longer making or supporting boards, so I would avoid that.

#3 2 years ago

I'm a little confused as I generally am on these forums. So, you are going to replace a complete rectifier board based on .450ish voltage readings? First, and I have learned the hard way (after my UTube lessons that made it look easy) is I never check bridge rectifiers in circuit. I don't think you are talking about voltages, you are talking resistances.
My first troubleshooting advice would be to pull all connectors out except for J1. Replace F3 with correct fuse. Fire it up. If it blows, then you got a bad bridge. EZ fix. If it doesn't blow, then it's down stream in the regulator board. So, if you were at this point go and buy a replacement and the regulator is shorted, then the fuse on your new board will blow again.
Don't listen to your parents, if you get into this hobby, this is part of the learning curve. To solve problems as they crop up and in the all the fun learning that goes along with it.

#4 2 years ago

And, I recently had a problem with Eight Ball after a year with a new Alltek MPU. It was guaranteed for life, all I had to do was ship the board to him and fixed it immediately.
Here's a board for Bally rectifier: https://allteksystems.com/collections/pinball-replacement-board-products/products/power-supply-voltage-rectifier-board

Here's where it may get tricky for you however...
Replacement Power Supply/Voltage rectifier board used in most early solid state Bally and Stern pinball machines, see game listings below. This board is a direct replacement for the original OEM rectifier boards Bally part number AS-2518-18, AS-2518-49 and Stern part number TA-100. This board requires no soldering, simply cutting the wires off your old board, stripping 1/4" insulation, and installing those wires to the E1-E12 push in locations

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Here's where it may get tricky for you however...
Replacement Power Supply/Voltage rectifier board used in most early solid state Bally and Stern pinball machines, see game listings below. This board is a direct replacement for the original OEM rectifier boards Bally part number AS-2518-18, AS-2518-49 and Stern part number TA-100. This board requires no soldering, simply cutting the wires off your old board, stripping 1/4" insulation, and installing those wires to the E1-E12 push in locations

Wrong board for his game.

#6 2 years ago

The voltage on fuse F3 gets rectified discretely by diodes CR5, CR6, CR7 and CR8. Test these four diodes to see if any are shorted - if one is, replace them all with these higher current versions that are cheap:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10A4

Bridge BR2 rectifies the 43 volt solenoid power and is fused by F4. BR2 has nothing to do with fuse F3.

#7 2 years ago

I'm a little confused as I generally am on these forums.

Again I am confused.

Quoted from slochar:

Wrong board for his game.

Alltek lists the games that this is compatible with. Kings of Steel is listed. Maybe they are confused, I don't know.

#8 2 years ago

If it blows, then you got a bad bridge.

Quench is correct, a bad diode made into a bridge. Ahhhh less confusion.....

#9 2 years ago

Again I am confused.

slochar is referring to the rectifier boards. Kings of Steel uses a different rectifier board to the ones you mentioned.
First diagram layout is the older rectifier board you referred to, second diagram layout is the later rectifier board in Kings of Steel.

AS-2518-18.pngAS-2518-18.png
AS-2518-54.pngAS-2518-54.png

#10 2 years ago

Yes, like a dummy, I didn't read the fine print. Now I understand. Thank you Quench for clearing this up.

#11 2 years ago

I'm a little confused as I generally am on these forums. So, you are going to replace a complete rectifier board based on .450ish voltage readings? First, and I have learned the hard way (after my UTube lessons that made it look easy) is I never check bridge rectifiers in circuit. I don't think you are talking about voltages, you are talking resistances.
My first troubleshooting advice would be to pull all connectors out except for J1. Replace F3 with correct fuse. Fire it up. If it blows, then you got a bad bridge. EZ fix. If it doesn't blow, then it's down stream in the regulator board. So, if you were at this point go and buy a replacement and the regulator is shorted, then the fuse on your new board will blow again.
Don't listen to your parents, if you get into this hobby, this is part of the learning curve. To solve problems as they crop up and in the all the fun learning that goes along with it.

Thank you.. yup I was following a vid on checking in circuit and went by how he said all should be .450 ranges, so the .950 through me off on br2. From positive to negative leg was .950 but going - to + I got the .450

With machine on I did test some voltages before removing boards and 43v is working, so now I assume the br2 is fine.
My readings were TP1 7.82V TP2 246V TP3 0V TP5 44.6V

By regulator board, that's the solenoid driver board correct? I tested all resistances what I could and everything checks fine. I do have a new filter capacitor on its way to swap out

#12 2 years ago

Gulf Coast Pinball had a -54 rectifier board for $70 on eBay. I haven't checked to see if they have any left, but if they do you can save some money over the other boards. Between the two you mentioned, I would go with the Anarchy board. That said, if you can solder and desolder, and if your base PCB hasn;t been overly damaged, it's easy to repair or refresh and mildly upgrade these -54 boards. I typically use Great Plains Electronics for my replacement parts. Good luck.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The voltage on fuse F3 gets rectified discretely by diodes CR5, CR6, CR7 and CR8. Test these four diodes to see if any are shorted - if one is, replace them all with these higher current versions that are cheap:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=10A4
Bridge BR2 rectifies the 43 volt solenoid power and is fused by F4. BR2 has nothing to do with fuse F3.

OK ty.. my readings were
Cr5 .516
Cr6 .482
Cr7 .515
Cr8 .510

Tomorrow I'll take the boards back over to their house so I can test with new fuse

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Dave2k21:

OK ty.. my readings were
Cr5 .516
Cr6 .482
Cr7 .515
Cr8 .510

What about when you reverse the meter leads on the diodes, what readings do you get?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:What about when you reverse the meter leads on the diodes, what readings do you get?

0 readings on all 4. Now this is with meter set in diode and no power applied (I'm still learning electronics as well)

Also with diode setting I'm getting .940s on both + to ac and - to ac on br2. Whereas br1 is .480s

I put a new fuse in and now getting good 14.16v for tp3

I mistakingly had all connectors plugged into board when powered up but all other boards were pulled/not connected. Ran test across all tp and I'm getting a 192v for tp2. Schematic shows 230 but unreg 190. Am I good here?

After fuse change my results are
Tp1 7.98
Tp2 192
Tp3 14.16
Tp4 6.92ac
Tp5 45.2

I might get a order together to rebuild the board as some of the fuse holders are blackened and the cap on sound board likely need replaced. I already have a 15k 25v filter cap arriving Monday for the driver board

From browsing forums I found this
1A1907-03 fuse clips
GBPC3504W bridges (non metal, still need to locate heat sink??)
diodes 10A cr5-cr8 1n4007 cr1-4

For resistors.
R1 = 600 ohm, 10W. Replace with 620 ohm, 15W
R2 = 25 ohm, 5W. Replace with 27 ohm, 5W
VR1 fails from time to time: V100ZA15P

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Dave2k21:

I mistakingly had all connectors plugged into board when powered up but all other boards were pulled/not connected. Ran test across all tp and I'm getting a 192v for tp2. Schematic shows 230 but unreg 190. Am I good here?

Probably ok but check downstream at test points TP4 on the solenoid driver board for around 230V DC and TP2 for about 190V DC.

Quoted from Dave2k21:

I might get a order together to rebuild the board as some of the fuse holders are blackened

The blackened fuse holders are silver plated to handle high current and the plating has tarnished. I sometimes carefully clean them with steel wool using needle nose pliers. Be sure to vacuum the steel wool crumbs so there's no stray bits left over to cause shorts.

Quoted from Dave2k21:

From browsing forums I found this
1A1907-03 fuse clips
GBPC3504W bridges (non metal, still need to locate heat sink??)
diodes 10A cr5-cr8 1n4007 cr1-4

:: 1A1907-03 fuse clips ---> should be fine.
:: GBPC3504W ---> originals are KBPC3504W metal types mounted underneath the PCB and screwed down with heatsink paste to the lower metal base plate. The big metal base plate acts as the heatsink. There is a 1/16" bakelite spacer between the bridge and the PCB.
:: Diodes CR1, CR2, CR3, CR4 ---> use 1N4007
:: Diodes CR5, CR6, CR7, CR8 ---> use 10A4
:: VR1 fails from time to time: V100ZA15P ---> it's extremely rare that they fail and when they do it's pretty obvious. I wouldn't bother getting any.

Get a few TIP102 darlington transistors for the solenoid driver board and some 2N5064 and MCR106 SCRs for the lamp drivers. Oh and some spare fuses, most common failure is the 1 amp slo-blo underneath the playfield.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Probably ok but check downstream at test points TP4 on the solenoid driver board for around 230V DC and TP2 for about 190V DC.

The blackened fuse holders are silver plated to handle high current and the plating has tarnished. I sometimes carefully clean them with steel wool using needle nose pliers. Be sure to vacuum the steel wool crumbs so there's no stray bits left over to cause shorts.

:: 1A1907-03 fuse clips ---> should be fine.
:: GBPC3504W ---> originals are KBPC3504W metal types mounted underneath the PCB and screwed down with heatsink paste to the lower metal base plate. The big metal base plate acts as the heatsink. There is a 1/16" bakelite spacer between the bridge and the PCB.
:: Diodes CR1, CR2, CR3, CR4 ---> use 1N4007
:: Diodes CR5, CR6, CR7, CR8 ---> use 10A4
:: VR1 fails from time to time: V100ZA15P ---> it's extremely rare that they fail and when they do it's pretty obvious. I wouldn't bother getting any.
Get a few TIP102 darlington transistors for the solenoid driver board and some 2N5064 and MCR106 SCRs for the lamp drivers. Oh and some spare fuses, most common failure is the 1 amp slo-blo underneath the playfield.

OK thank you greatly for the help.
Unfortunately I won't be able to test the voltage until I'm back over at their house where the machine is located, but will update

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haverhill, MA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-repair-which-bally-2518-54-board-should-i-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.