Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

_57.jpg
_571.jpg
_572.jpg
_573.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi,

This is a repost as my first post was in the restoration thread and received no responses. Mods please delete the original thread if appropriate.

I am brand new to pinball and looking to buy my first machine. I found a good deal on a Getaway HighSpeed II. The owner says everything works great except the DMD is blank. He claims he hasn't tried to fix it himself but who knows.

From what I understand it could be as simple as reseating a cable, however I understand things can get more complicated and I would be uncomfortable doing any soldering. I guess my question is what would be the worst case scenario here and if the worst case scenario did occur how much should I expect it to cost to be fixed.

If any one is willing to meet me in NJ to help me look at the machine I would be willing to pay, buy you lunch, whatever you think is fair.

Thanks for your help.

#2 8 years ago

How much is he asking?
Can you post pics?

#3 8 years ago

Here are the pins I have, they aren't that great though. No Set asking price, but I think I can get it for around $1500.

$_573.JPG$_573.JPG

$_573.JPG$_573.JPG$_572.JPG$_572.JPG$_571.JPG$_571.JPG$_57.JPG$_57.JPG

#4 8 years ago

How's the condition of the playfiled? Any issues there? Cab looks faded, but other then that is it in good solid shape?

Could be several issues for the DMD. Could be the DMD itself or the controller board. You might wan't to factor $200 in the equation for getting that issue addressed.

In 2013, average price for the game was $1500 according to Boston Pinball. Thats 2 year old data, so take that for what it's worth.

Maybe a few pinsiders whom have recently sold can comment.

#5 8 years ago

You are going to put money into it to get the DMD and possibly other stuff up and running. Maybe pass and buy a nice working players game from a collector in the area instead. Your first pin you want to play and jot mess around with. I bought a nicer players fully working Getaway, from a local collector, as my second pin for $1650 3 years ago and it made me love pinball. I only changed out the flippers since.

Also if you post a pin you are looking at on Pinside, people could buy the pin out from under you. Just fyi.

Similar titles that are fun in that $2000 -/+ price point are T2, Demolition Man, Whirlwind, Earthshaker, Black Knight 2000 off the top of my head. Good luck.

#6 8 years ago

Doesn't look like it's booting up...no insert lamps. The DMD may be fine. You could use this to leverage a better price.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Doesn't look like it's booting up...no insert lamps. The DMD may be fine. You could use this to leverage a better price.

With all that in mind how mechnanically/eletronically inclinced are you? Are you willing to learn and work through it? If not, then it's best to run away....

Otherwise, then you need to get a better scope of what does or does not work on that machine. It's really easy to get upside down on a machine.

You need to run through some tests, and sort out how many problems the machine may have. Like doo said...Looks like it is not booting up.

#8 8 years ago

Thanks guys. I really have my heart set on a getaway highspeed. I'm relatively mechanically inclined and willing to learn, I used to tear apart my desktop all the time, have done minor repairs on household appliances, etc. I just don't want to get into soldering. If someone wants to yank it from under me due to the pics then so be it, unfortunately thats a risk I need to take given my little experience with pinball as of now.

If it just isn't booting up then it's likely a loose connection somewhere correct? Also what are insert lamps?

thanks again.

#9 8 years ago

The insert lamps are the controlled lights that turn on and off on the playfield depending on the situation (ie bonus multipliers, extra ball, etc).

Not booting could be way more than loose connection, or it could be as simple as a blown fuse, you never know. Also, there is a difference between playing blind and not booting, so figure out what is going on before making an offer.

As an FYI, almost all repairs on a pinball machine require soldering so keep that in mind.

#10 8 years ago

Not booting up typically means the CPU is not getting the appropriate 5v. It could be as simple as bad connection from the power board to CPU or it could be a problem with components on the power board.

Figure 2-300 worst case

#11 8 years ago

Apparently the machine boots and you can play it without the DMD. Not sure if that makes things better or worse though.

#12 8 years ago

If the game is booting and is actually playable, that's better. However, it doesn't look like it in those pictures. That game looks like it's going to need some help. High voltage for the DMD could be out, could also be the controller board. Since the ColorDMD came out for this one, you could spend the $400 on that and run it off the lower voltage.

Cab is definitely faded, can't see the playfield to tell for sure how it looks. For a first pin, I'd really get something that's working unless you know someone that's good at diagnosing and troubleshooting. Yes that part is fun, but if you get a project machine for your first one and it never works, that's no fun either. Yes....I did that. Learned my lesson.

#13 8 years ago

If the batteries were dead and the machine was saying "Factory Settings Restored" on boot, would the inserts not light? I can't remember.

It sounds like you're walking into an unknown condition machine and don't want to do any serious repair. Like skywelker said most repairs require soldering something. Getaway is a ~$2000 machine fully working in good shape. If it was as simple as reseating a connector or replacing a $0.30 fuse, the seller would probably do that to get full value out of it. Repairing pins is fun and there is infinite information and help on the internet, but when you buy a "just a fuse" machine with a problem, the times where it's actually just a fuse or unseated connector is like winning the lottery.

#14 8 years ago

Thanks,

Looks like I may just wait a while to see if a decent deal comes up. All other listings for the machine at this time seem to be 3K+. I've been looking on pinside, craigslist, and ebay. Does anyone know some other places to look?

#15 8 years ago

Im a rookie myself, but HSII is a GREAT machine. I say for 1500 ....go for it !!
You can, occasionally, find one on here for 2-2.5 in good shape, but thats not local to you.
Vids Guides are here for you...
Tell him 1000 and snag it !

#16 8 years ago

$1500 is a great deal.
DMD's usually don't just die. Probably the DMD driver high voltage section has gone south. you can send that off to be repaired for around $45 or buy a brand new aftermarket board for $90-$100.

If it is the actual DMD, I will donate a free display to you that works awesome, but has the far right column not working [so last line on the right].
PM me if you buy the machine and find out it really is the display. I'll even pay shipping.

#17 8 years ago

^^^^ One of the reasons I love Pinside.
For such a scary avatar,...what a great guy !

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

$1500 is a great deal.
DMD's usually don't just die. Probably the DMD driver high voltage section has gone south. you can send that off to be repaired for around $45 or buy a brand new aftermarket board for $90-$100.
If it is the actual DMD, I will donate a free display to you that works awesome, but has the far right column not working [so last line on the right].
PM me if you buy the machine and find out it really is the display. I'll even pay shipping.

This is what I am talking about right here! dgoett, you are a good man.

#19 8 years ago

I'm 1500 is a good price especially if cosmetics/playfield are good.

If you arent able/willing to do electronic repair/diagnosis then finding another machine would probably be better. Imo

#20 8 years ago

Grab it ! ASAP. Do not waste time talking to us....Your next post should be I got a getaway for X dollars and I need help getting it to work.... We will all jump to help.
1500 or less you cannot go wrong. WPC are simple to fix and everyone here is very gracious with their time and expertise.

#21 8 years ago

Are you against ALL soldering, or just board work? Owning a pinball machine will require some soldering skills even for something as simple as a flipper rebuild. Here's a really good link about soldering: http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/tutorials/167-soldering-tutorials

If the machine is playable, $1500 seems decent, especially if the DMD is just out and you have one being donated to you above (AWESOME!). My DMD went out on mine and it was the actual DMD that went bad without any signs like out gassing, etc.

Keep us posted on what happens. Also, maybe add into your title that you'd like someone in your area to help look at the machine, because not everyone may open this thread if they think it's only about a DMD issue.

#22 8 years ago

If playfield is nice I would be all over this. I bet you can get it for less than $1500. It is not 100% working so do not be afraid to low ball.

#23 8 years ago

Wow, awesome guys. I will give a status update as soon as I have one.

#24 8 years ago

Any tips on how to pack it for transport? I have an 09 MDX

#25 8 years ago

Remove the balls first and anything loose in the game.
Get a piece of cardboard or a blanket and shrink wrap. Lay the protection down on the game after BG locked and head bolts removed lay down the head of the game and shrink wrap it up. Then remove rear legs and set down and stand up game on its back then remove front legs. Then stuff in vehicle....make your getaway..lol

#26 8 years ago

Exactly what I was looking for Hawk, thanks! Good to know the backglass folds down I was worried it may not fit

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Hawk007:

Get a piece of cardboard or a blanket and shrink wrap. Let protection down on the game after BG locked and bolts removed lay down the head of the game and shrink wrap it up. Then remove rear legs and set down and stand up game on its back then remove front legs. Then stuff in vehicle....make your getaway..lol

If you are going to stand it on it's back you might want to remove the balls first

#28 8 years ago

Whoops yea I forgot to mention that...edited...I always remove the balls and thought it is a given to do so but good call to mention it!!

No problem jdubz79 anytime! And yup they pack up quite well. You will need a 5/8 wrench for the leg bolts and maybe a 9/16 wrench for the head bolts if really tight. I also like to put a screw in the light board latch behind the back glass to prevent it from [lifting up] and opening in transport potentially scratching the translite. The power cord is like a computer hard drive cord in that it removes easily after removing the plate on the back of the game.
Not necessary to remove it if you are just going home but for any long term storage I remove them along with the batteries .

#29 8 years ago

You can make it easy if access is good to load and unload. Just pack backbox down with shrink wrap it and leave the balls and everything in and then walk over to the vehicle and remove the back legs and set the back in the slide in to the front legs and remove them done and done.

#30 8 years ago

$1500 sounds pretty good to me if the game plays well. I would check if the supercharger and up/down ramp in the back works.

#31 8 years ago

Just wanted to provide an update. Unfortunately someone was willing to pay a few hundred more than I was so I didn't score the pin. Oh well. Thanks for all your help. I'm hoping something will pop up in the next few moths.

#32 8 years ago

good luck! welcome to the club!!

#33 8 years ago

Something will. Keep looking.

#34 8 years ago

Buy a game from a nice Pinsider whomtakes care ofmhis games. Get a list of games you are interested in and put out a WTB in your area. A good collector will walk you though the pin and help you after to fix a problem. We have all bought our first pin and it was a big deal. The second one is no big deal at all. Good luck!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Trade
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,025 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pins-looking-to-purchase-getaway-highspeed-ii-with-dmd-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.