(Topic ID: 215153)

New to Pinball...Bally Evel Kneivel won't start....

By DaveCLC

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by DaveCLC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I just picked up a Bally Evel game. It has the new Bally multi-board installed, and is set for this game. The machine powers up, and sits nicely in what I believe is attract mode - every few minutes a few chimes, etc.
In free play mode, start button does nothing.
In credit mode, triggering credits does nothing.
Going through test mode, it seems every solenoid,including flippers work.
All switches seem to test ok, including outhole, and start switch.
All lights seem to be on.
Machine stuck in game over mode. If i send a ball up, it settles in score pit at top, then kicks out, and falls through like in tilt mode - no bumpers, etc.
Any suggestions?

#2 6 years ago

If I understand your situation, ignoring free play for a minute, if the game is in coin play mode does running a quarter through or manually tripping the coin switch put a credit on?
If so, with a credit shown the start button does not start the game?
It sounds like the door/cabinet wiring could be the problem. Verify the above.
Also make sure the switches are set for one credit per coin.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks. it is set for one credit/coin. My brother struggled with it for a few weeks before passing to me, and he actually went so far as to order a new coin door....plugging the new (used) door assembly, doesn't work any different than the 1st door assembly. No credits appear in any mode.

#4 6 years ago

It is best to change the connectors in the backbox for all the old Ballys from this era. If you have new boards, then just change the (female) connectors. They will fix a lot of problems these machine have.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveCLC:

All switches seem to test ok

Quoted from DaveCLC:

No credits appear in any mode.

Hmmm. All switches work in test mode? Did you test coin switch? (or try testing it again)

#6 6 years ago

UPDATE
Ball was getting jammed in the feed lane, and the J3 connector on the main board was real sketchy.....
Hours later...but it plays now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinballbally-evel-kneivel-wont-start?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.