(Topic ID: 278966)

New to pinball, what is a good fun machine priced around $3k-5500 (updated)

By Fieldsweeper

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190713_141546_281.jpg
    IMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    9DCE1AD3-2464-45C7-8EE3-EE2FF7EDF453 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fieldsweeper.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

So I am relatively new to pinball machines. I have obviously played them before but want to own one. I have played Taxi and Tales of Arabian Nights but Arabian is hella expensive. Taxi is a little more than I care to spend. (found one for around 2700)

However, I have noticed that below about 2k they start to get old, simple and kind of lame. so I am looking to see if anyone knows which ones are good starter games that wont make me give it up so soon? Can you get a decent taxi of late 80s early 90s or newer game for around that price?

I am little flexible on price.

thanks,

edit around 3k to 5500 ish + or -

#39 3 years ago

thanks for all the advice. I think I wil bump it up to 2500 to 3k tops. what can I get in that range near tallmadge oh? i cant pick up so if anyone has something they can deliver haha.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from stumptown:

2500-3000 can get you into lots of the best 80s and early 90s pins and even some DMD games that have plenty going on to keep you busy. Requiring delivery will either cost you a lot of money or lose you the deal entirely though... Rather than depend on that I'd budget some time and money to rent a truck from a hardware store or U-Haul and go fetch it yourself, honestly.

I was expecting to pay maybe an extra 200 or so local delivery. one guy near me on facebook is asking 2700 for a taxi and I do like that one I amn prob gonna get that one but I wish he could do so today. but he said thur or friday he can.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What's it cost to rent a truck from Lowe's/Depot these days for a few hours? I assume you can't pickup because you don't have a vehicle the game will fit, rentals are cheap. You could probably rent a good hand truck as well if you don't have one. Maybe you have a friend with a minivan and they can also help with some muscle. If you pickup from a garage it's not that big of a deal to move. Now, stairs are a b-atch.

Yeah it may be a sitting room device rather than my completely wide open empty finished basement just for that alone. I stuck a slot machine in the sitting room as well just cus i was not taking it down the stairs lol.

I like to watch south park sometimes. But someone is selling a southpark one for 4k i think if I was gonna spend that much it would be the BTTF one. but that ones too far from me. and its mainly me not wanting to do that labor lmao. so IF someone is willing to deliver I say sure thing even if I pay 200 more. renting a truck for teh day cost at least 100.

Someone does also have a lethal wep 3 one too does not look as fun tho thoughts? i want one that keeps you engaged or has stuff to do rather than just spam the flippers. I only played Arabian nights and taxi and a few others digitally. Black hole is another but that seems just a flipper pusher.

#51 3 years ago

if you will deliver it tonight and take zelle. I would buy that for 4k

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Taxi is a fun game. For under $2,000 you can get a hook, a waterworld, a routed T2 is still typically under 2k. Tons of early solid states that are great games . At under $1,000 you can get tons of great EMs.

what do you mean routed t2?

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Does that include delivery? Where will you find an LE for this price? GLWS

do you mean its a good price or a bad one? lol

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

My advice: BE PATIENT
    I get the excitment of owning a game TONIGHT, but you need to slow down. Take your time and find something that you like, fully working, and not overpriced.

I had been looking for a long time. Off and on so I have looked around and always price check a few places too. the 2700 for taxi seems fair. its prob routed as its good condition but not mint. same with the others I saw. between ebay etc

Quoted from RyanStl:

I don't know specifically, you can check Pinside price guide, but new Stern LE's cost $9,000. An LE is likely to be home use only, but not always. Home use only is as the name applies, it was only in someone's residence, which means less plays and probably more cared for.

link to price guide please?

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Do not buy a South Park without playing on location first. It's a Mr. Hankey IMO. That's not a safe game to get before playing first.

oh weird why?

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

4500 gets you into used Stern SAM category. Spiderman, Iron Man, Star Trek...lots of great titles to choose from https://pinside.com/pinball/machine?query=&machine_generation=36#results
    You could possibly find some newer SPIKE Sterns like Star Wars or Aerosmith or you could go the opposite direction and look at a few Stern Whitestar games.
    Pretty much any System 11 game, a boat load of WPC games as well can be had at that price.

What's Sam? I have em heard of EM ones and dmd is sam another technology of them?

Also I saw a rick and morty one would be really cool but doesn't seem out yet. Also I looked for a Futurama one and only saw digital ones. If there was a Futurama one that would be awesome too

Or a pink floyd one.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Most every game over the Pinside top 49 are now in play, except the new games that haven't reviewed well. With this budget playing as many games as possible before buying is now a must. You will have a 1 pin collection at this point, so finding a game you really like is more important. Find a place with lots of pins, not just the new ones, and play as much as you can. I'm lucky here, as I have CP's Pinball here where you play 70+ games on free play for a low fee. Chuck has a ton of new games, but still has a lot of the good older DMD's in the collection. You need to find a place like that.

I took too long of a nap and since stonehenge has like 30 games I'm gonna head there tonight. Matt I'll have to call u tomorrow to take u up on the transformer one. Since there is league tonight I'll probably avoid the crowd. But still Leanna try out the transformer one. I'm not aajor transformer fan but the details and parts all seem really interesting. I read about not using the original voice actor which tbh is kind of a bummer tho lol.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Definitely missed this part ha. Be ready to make it worth someone's time and effort if you need delivery. I don't mean this in a snarky way but unless you are buying a new game, it may be a tough sell to get someone to bring you a pin.

Yeah some of the local ones said they could for a little bit extra. I would of course pay extra too.

I've been looking at new used ones. I played atra get things and it's kinda fun. Although I haven't learned how to play it entirely yet. It does seem more of the same thing.

Drop the drop targets shoot the demon behind the screen lmao. Also hitting the glass reallllly hard when you go up the ramp just right. Kind of waiting for broken top glass lmao.

I'm going to try out that transformer one since it'll be a little cheaper. Me not being a fan of either shows and still liking the pinball machine for Stranger seems nice to know that even if I'm not a fan of it. The game play could be fun. I'll probably spend more than my budget anyway lmao.

I wish I could try the BTTF one but nothing near by

But fan of back to the future haha. Definitely nice to see a massive amount of such quick help. The RC plane community is Mostly older people who don't use forums that much so new topics don't get this kinda traction so quickly haha

I may actually end up trying 5o get 2 of the smaller priced ones like taxi and a good priced demo man. Then I'd have two.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from misterhare:

So this thread is just an elaborate ploy for mrm_4 to sell his Transformers?

Haha, nah. He is close but he said I could come try it. I am not TOOOO picky but its mostly., what's available near by by that I can get quickly. I also when jumping into new hobbies I do not just tip toe in I dive in full force lol.

I was playing stranger things last night for a few hours and it was pretty fun. Surprisingly it was not very "busy" either I mean it is just a projected screen with one "toy?" behind it and then the drop targets. but it was enjoyable so it opened me up to look at ones that do not necessarily have a lot of gadgets. although I still do like the appeal of a lot of coos stuff. Like theater or tales of Arabian nights etc.

I will prob end up spending 4500 or 5k maybe a bit more. Saw a decent priced Stranger things. But I could not really tell the difference between the different versions?

can someone elaborate on what the difference is between most pro, standard, LE and premium ones? for stranger things and others? I would hate to get one that COULD have had a lot more toys in it or more eye candy or stuff like that. If its just accenting I prob would not really care.

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Stern Premium and LE games always have the same features. The LE just has a different art package and production is limited to 400-600 made.
    You have to look game by game to see the differences between the Stern Pro and the Premium/LE (Stern has PDFs on their website that show the differences for each game). Generally there will be a handful of physical features on the Premium/LE that aren't on the Pro (e.g. upper playfield, additional ramp, physical ball lock), and potentially one or two bonus features in the code (e.g. an extra multiball or mode). Some people prefer the Pro models on some games as faster/cleaner playing, so it's worth doing a bit of research.
    Stranger Things was not very well received by the pinball community, so I imagine you'd be able to get it a bit cheaper than other recent Sterns if you're a fan.

What about it was not so well received? me being so new. I do not know what I do not know so ignorance can be bliss.

#134 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

Plus Taxi is a great game by itself, and BTTF succcccccks . Buy a Taxi and then see how much you like owning and working on pins and go from there.

Well the guy that was selling the Taxi for 2700 just sold it so I waited to long. oh well it has some play field wear anyway. I think given the range listed on here and the wear it had 2700 was a bit too much tbh.

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from misterhare:

Do not buy the premium Stranger Things. The fancy magnet lock doesn't work well and the ball drains back down the ramp. A fix has been made to the code, but you were paying for the cool lock, not the same as the pro.

what was the fix? to by pass the lock? if there was a fix (like stronger magnet etc) I do not see the issue?

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I've got a data east simpsons I'd deliver to your driveway for 2k.[quoted image]

Where are you coming from? do you have it listed here so i can see some more pics? if you are not far I could come take a look?

Quoted from misterhare:

I'll show you Tuesday night at league.

Which place does tuesday? lol.

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

How much to deliver to St. Louis?
    I played a Stranger Things Premium and really, really like it. I loved the projector, and thought it was, dare I say, innovative. It was hard to get the ball in the mouth of the bad dude, but it was fun trying. The one I played had the UV Kit, which is also innovative, so you would want that no matter what version you buy. I think it was a $300 add-on. I don't know if I would like the Pro without the projector. Your talking a lot more money though for a pro and definately a lot more for a premium of Stranger Things.
    If you want to know the difference between Stern pros and premiums for different games, just Google the game and add "Feature Matrix".

I heard of fixes that can help that and prevent the ball hitting the glass. I am playing a regular one now and ik last it's super lame and hard to see without a projector or uv lights. So the pro version seems crappy. Although well lot I'm sure it'll be fine. The ones I looked at had both so either way. I'm not even a massive fan of ST. But did like the game. The place I'm at tonight has literally almost all I've been looking at except taxi hahah.

I'm also curious what a elvis one costs.

#146 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I've played an Elvis and wasn't impressed, and thought it to be really dark. With LED's, which I'm sure any one for sale now would have, maybe a different story. I don't know prices because I haven't seen one for sale. I have a feeling this is another game where theme drives up cost.
    Have fun tonight. Report back to what you like at the arcade. Hopefully, they have a good mix of 90's games.
    I'm curious, you have talked a lot about theme, but keep saying not really into this or that. What are you into? I believe a theme you really love enhances the game. I suppose that's why some themes sell for a lot even the game is meh.

I'll post pics but I played attack from mars (prob remake) elvira, fish story, arabian nights, black knight, 6 million dollar man, tmnt, stranger things pro, ghost busters, jurassic park, avengers,magic theatre, dialed in, hot wheels, and iron maiden, star wars (new?) Star trek new, dead pool, doctor who,

I think they had monster mash but it was ooo

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Nice.
    Which ones did you want to keep going back to? Lots of great pins in that list.

I tried playing most a few good times just to get more play time on them. as one game is not really enough to learn the ins and outs of a game and its progression. so I tried to see "whats up" with each game (that I have not played before) I will say the ones with more ramps and drop targets/holes to enter (like stranger things, attack from mars, theater of magic) as well as more "toys" or eye candy are the ones I kept going to. ones like the fish story, while if I found one that i could make a profit on when selling and still be worth my time. I would maybe get, but it seemed too basic for me.

also ones with not much to do like the 6 million dollar man, or even fish story or dr who I did not really play that much of.

the ones I played the most were: Arabian nights of course, Jurassic park, stranger things, ghost busters, hot wheels, star wars, evyra, and attack from mars and theater of magic. the rest I did not play as much but still tried them a few times.

I still want to try out the Simpsons one, no fear and transformers that the few here had for sale. I will prob end up picking one of those. or both if not the transformers one. I may also try the lethal weapon 3 one. Someone was selling a term 2 for 5k LOL but one recently popped up for 1800 and I may jump on that regardless lol.. but I could not message them on facebook for some odd ass reason.

Sorry for the terrible typing, its 3 am almost lol

#153 3 years ago

Finally decided on the LE combo version of #transformers-(le) from mrm. So far I am liking it. But I know I will want another/different one soon haha.

#155 3 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Glad you like it!
    To be honest, there are many other games that you will love that you can trade for down the road with that machine. I've traded through about 20 machines in the past 2 years and once you get tired of one, there is always another one with new challenges for you. Congratulations and welcome to the deep end of the hobby!

Kind of why I bought it anyway. It was close. Fun and now I can have something to play until I find one of the others I wanted locally. Like Taxi, Stranger things LE, Theatre of magic, arabian nights etc.

#161 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lathroum:

Dude started at $1000 now he is up to $5k!?!?!?!?? WOW... wish my budget worked like this.
    for $5k I would have 3 nice pins (at least)

It was not so much that was my budget being raised. It was me more so not knowing what was available for cheaper. I was originally looking at a few games past the 2500 to 3k mark. But I just wanted to see (not knowing what was out there) if there was anything cheaper and perhaps I was only looking at really sought after ones (after all me being an outsider knowing a few machines by name should say something about popularity lol)

Then I started seeing newer machines but used that were only a little bit more so I decided to see what was there too. I ended up with a LE transformers for 4500. I am sure I will sell or trade it in the future if not soon to try something else out or maybe as I play more, 2 lesser machines. Taxi is still one I want and Theatre of Magic. I would like a TOTAN but that's more than I care to spend.

I missed out on an Addams family for only 4k supposedly in good condition. It was on Facebook but even though I replied an hour after posting I never got a reply before it was marked sold lmao.

I also did not want to get one that would need maintenance from the beginning or any time soon so a newer HUO machine was prob what I needed to get and those would cost more.

#163 3 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

You and the other 500 of us that saw that listing. If you are responding an hour after a good deal was posted on FB it's safe to assume it was loaded into someone's car about 59 minutes before that .

True but when I sell anything. Especially if I am not that sure of value. If I immediately get 100 people messaging me to the point I start to ignore some. I would double check the value before selling lol.

If it needed work sure. but if its an easy flip for 2k in profit. I would say sorry I changed my mind. then re list.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fieldsweeper.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinball-what-is-a-good-fun-machine-priced-around-1000?tu=fieldsweeper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.