(Topic ID: 278966)

New to pinball, what is a good fun machine priced around $3k-5500 (updated)

By Fieldsweeper

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 164 posts
  • 71 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by grantopia
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20190713_141546_281.jpg
    IMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    9DCE1AD3-2464-45C7-8EE3-EE2FF7EDF453 (resized).jpeg
    There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago

if you will deliver it tonight and take zelle. I would buy that for 4k

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Taxi is a fun game. For under $2,000 you can get a hook, a waterworld, a routed T2 is still typically under 2k. Tons of early solid states that are great games . At under $1,000 you can get tons of great EMs.

what do you mean routed t2?

#53 3 years ago

Does that include delivery? Where will you find an LE for this price? GLWS

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fieldsweeper:

It means the game was used commecially in bowling alleys, bars, restaurants, arcades, etc. Owners that make money on their games change them out from location to location, aka a route. Pretty much any game in your price range will be routed. It's not a bad thing because you are buying based on condidtion of game the day you are looking at it is for sale, but routed games typically have more wear. However, if it routed without wear or hacked boards, I wouldn't worry about it Home Use Only vs Routed.

#55 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Does that include delivery? Where will you find an LE for this price? GLWS

do you mean its a good price or a bad one? lol

#56 3 years ago

One that’s been on location and might be in a little rougher shape. If it works and plays good and you are ok with cosmetic issues this might be something to look for.

#57 3 years ago

My advice: BE PATIENT

I get the excitment of owning a game TONIGHT, but you need to slow down. Take your time and find something that you like, fully working, and not overpriced.

#58 3 years ago

Meteor or Joker Poker can be had for around $1000. Both great pins.

#59 3 years ago

do you mean its a good price or a bad one? lol

I don't know specifically, you can check Pinside price guide, but new Stern LE's cost $9,000. An LE is likely to be home use only, but not always. Home use only is as the name applies, it was only in someone's residence, which means less plays and probably more cared for.

#60 3 years ago

It’s definitely something to take your time on. Have you played any of these games such as Taxi? $2700 may or may not be a good deal based on condition. In fact the avg price around here is less than 2400:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/taxi

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

My advice: BE PATIENT
    I get the excitment of owning a game TONIGHT, but you need to slow down. Take your time and find something that you like, fully working, and not overpriced.

I had been looking for a long time. Off and on so I have looked around and always price check a few places too. the 2700 for taxi seems fair. its prob routed as its good condition but not mint. same with the others I saw. between ebay etc

Quoted from RyanStl:

I don't know specifically, you can check Pinside price guide, but new Stern LE's cost $9,000. An LE is likely to be home use only, but not always. Home use only is as the name applies, it was only in someone's residence, which means less plays and probably more cared for.

link to price guide please?

#62 3 years ago

$1000? Grand Prix. Butter up the spinners and let them rip. Or Fire Power.

Welcome. Have fun!

#63 3 years ago

Avg price on pinside is shown on each game, individually. Check out my taxi link for instance. It is a far more realistic price than eBay!!!

#64 3 years ago

For price guide on Pinside, click on machine tab up top and type in the machine. The splash screen tab of the machine gives a price range based on Pinside sales. Like I said before, seems like everyone wants more than the top end of the price guide. I have heard the reason is the average price is held down becuase the guide takes into account project pins.

Edit: Just checked and Transformers Prem/LE is $4,250-4,950. I don't know anything about the specific game, but appears to be priced to sell.

#65 3 years ago

I like to watch south park sometimes. But someone is selling a southpark one for 4k i think if I was gonna spend that much it would be the BTTF one. but that ones too far from me.

Do not buy a South Park without playing on location first. It's a Mr. Hankey IMO. That's not a safe game to get before playing first.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Do not buy a South Park without playing on location first. It's a Mr. Hankey IMO. That's not a safe game to get before playing first.

oh weird why?

#67 3 years ago

You need to read the reviews here on Pinside. This goes to any game you may be considering, but never played. It's been a long time since I've played South Park, but it just didn't have much going for it. Very empty game. I don't recall if I reviewed it though. I believe theme alone keeps prices up.

Edit: Nope I didn't review, but it's ranked 252 for a reason and the price doesn't reflect.

#68 3 years ago

Hmm $1000...

Why don't you buy just a Stern topper, place it on your mantle and revel in its price to actual value ratio

#69 3 years ago

Someone does also have a lethal wep 3 one too does not look as fun tho thoughts? i want one that keeps you engaged or has stuff to do rather than just spam the flippers

Lethal weapon 3 has that , good starter bang 4 buck game IMO

#70 3 years ago

That was quick. Thread title went from good pin for $1,000 to good pin for $3,000. Yep, that's the reality today unless you like EM's. $3,000 opens up a lot of games.

#71 3 years ago

I called Fieldsweeper and talked pinball for a few. He’s a nice guy. Rest assured I’m not selling him a game spur of the moment like that. Since he’s new to all of this I suggested he come over and check out a few games so I can take the glass off and show him a few things to look for when buying and what have you. I did warn him that once he buys one he won’t be able to stop. He did up his price range to help get a few more options.
    Welcome to the hobby Adam

#72 3 years ago

I’m a huge fan of early solid state pins. A great way to get into this hobby is by way of games like Space Shuttle, Pinbot, or Firepower. These are great games to learn on, with little risk. Add another grand and you could get into something like a Stargate or maybe that Taxi. Patience is key.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

I called fieldsweeper and talked pinball for a few. He’s a nice guy. Rest assured I’m not selling him a game spur of the moment like that. Since he’s new to all of this I suggested he come over and check out a few games so I can take the glass show him a few things to look for when buying and what have you. I did warn him that once he buys one he won’t be able to stop. He did up his price range to help get a few more options.
    Welcome to the hobby Adam

Dude, you are the man. For real, good for you. You need a 1,000 upvotes.

#74 3 years ago

he will be putting a GNR LE on credit card next week. LOL

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

he will be putting a GNR LE on credit card next week. LOL

Yep, thinking about it myself. We had to move stuff in the house to make room for my recent pin purchase, as I no longer want to deal with steps to basement. We just bought a new couch to have room for another pin in the room. My wife is totally on board. I think I have her hooked. Key is finding themes she also likes. This hobby escalates fast even though I had a slow burn at first.

#76 3 years ago

Now that you've bumped up your price to the 2500-3k range i would reccomend the getaway. T2 is decent too and no fear if you can deal with the theme (i personally love the theme)

#77 3 years ago

You should buy this great machine right down the road...

It would even save you $100

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/103582

Seller is kind of an asshole but nice machine.

#78 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Now that you've bumped up your price to the 2500-3k range i would reccomend the getaway. T2 is decent too and no fear if you can deal with the theme (i personally love the theme)

What he said! Fan layout is the way to go.

#79 3 years ago

Hell, now Doctor Who is in your budget. Love that game. It has one of the best toys/mechs in pinball in my opinion. A three level mini-playfield that rises and lowers. Plus a kick but topper.

#80 3 years ago

World poker tour would be a good buy in the $3,000's

#81 3 years ago

How about 4 Aztecs?

IMG_3204 (resized).jpegIMG_3204 (resized).jpegIMG_3204 (resized).jpegIMG_3204 (resized).jpegIMG_3204 (resized).jpegIMG_3204 (resized).jpegIMG_3204 (resized).jpegIMG_3204 (resized).jpeg
    #82 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Hell, now Doctor Who is in your budget. Love that game. It has one of the best toys/mechs in pinball in my opinion. A three level mini-playfield that rises and lowers. Plus a kick but topper.

I would sell mine right now for $3k. I was thinking Getaway, T2, Black Rose (maybe), Dr. Dude, Space Shuttle, even a good deal Roadshow...

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

I would sell mine right now for $3k. I was thinking Getaway, T2, Black Rose (maybe), Dr. Dude, Space Shuttle, even a good deal Roadshow...

Black Rose is a great underated pin that you can get for not a lot of money (well relatively speaking). I've had an eye out for one, but waiting to see what tax season looks for me this spring.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from zaki:

World poker tour would be a good buy in the $3,000's

+1.

I would also add in WCS (World Cup Soccer 94). It will be on the high end of OP' budget, but is a heck of a game, and undevalued for what it is.

Edit: And how could I forget... ROLLERGAMES (RG). Suuuuper fun game. I personally love the cheesetastic theme, and the price is relatively low because many others don't feel the same way.

#85 3 years ago

My suggestion... save a little more and get a stern pro from the pinside market

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from InsideOutlane:

Edit: And how could I forget... ROLLERGAMES (RG). Suuuuper fun game. I personally love the cheesetastic theme, and the price is relatively low because many others don't feel the same way.

Same here, my first and still favorite game!

#87 3 years ago

I have noticed that below about 2k they start to get old, simple and kind of lame.

Some of the best pinball machines out there are still well under or around 2k. Plenty of great EMs under $1000 as well. Just because it doesn't have toys, a commercial theme, or an LCD screen, doesn't make it lame.

Great pinball isn't "old", it's timeless. But if you like all the bells and whistles that come with modern pinball, then maybe start saving up for something in the 5k to 7k range. If you like 1990s machines, id say Fishtales, Judge Dredd, Dirty Harry or Whirlwind in the 3-4 range are solid choices.

#88 3 years ago

Great idea updating the title....adds so many great pins to the conversation.

#89 3 years ago

Increasing your budget to the $3000 range has opened you up to a lot of very fun games. A quick search of the marketplace for pins between $2000 and $3000 shows a whole bunch of games that I would be more than happy to own. Good luck on your hunt!

#90 3 years ago
    Quoted from InsideOutlane:

+1.
    I would also add in WCS (World Cup Soccer 94). It will be on the high end of OP' budget, but is a heck of a game, and undevalued for what it is.

Roller games is great. I thought of this too.the pinbot games are in this price range, probably below $3,000.

#91 3 years ago

You’ve now opened up most system 11 games (excluding WW, EATPM, and BR). You cannot go wrong with most any system 11. You’re also in the category of some WPC games, Bride, Getaway (maybe), T2, WCS.

Edit: actually here is a WW for under the 3k mark which doesn’t normally happen. May want to look into it. I consider it the best system 11 ever made
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/102471

#92 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Dr. Who is really good I agree. I had one for a bit and i regret selling it. Especially at the price i sold it for lol. I also agree that black rose is good and underrated. Kinda hard to get dialed in though

#93 3 years ago

Judge Dreed
    Roadshow
    Dirty Harry
    Fifa

I say narrow it down to 2 or 3 titles and try to play them on site
    Iam new to pinball myself and once I hit a tour around town of Pinbars and Arcades my wanted list changed.
    No matter how many youtube videos you watch,its always best to get hands on.

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Dr. Who is really good I agree. I had one for a bit and i regret selling it. Especially at the price i sold it for lol. I also agree that black rose is good and underrated. Kinda hard to get dialed in though

You and me together brother. I sold mine for a price that sold in a minute. You know you priced to move when it happens that fast. Luckily it went to a good friend for friends and family price and I still get to play.

#95 3 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-shaq-attaq-22#post-5893633

Shaq Attack and in the same state as you!

Welcome to the hobby!

Steve

#96 3 years ago

there is a shadow for $3400 on facebook right now.

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

there is a shadow for $3400 on facebook right now.

If it's in decent shape that sounds like a great price.

I do like that we've quadrupled OP's spending limit in only one day! Not bad, Pinside.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Dude, you are the man. For real, good for you. You need a 1,000 upvotes.

Concur, class act!

#99 3 years ago

I go to bed and now we are up to $4,500? Can't beat Star Trek pro in my (worthless) opinion. Good flow and mix of shots, family friendly if that's of concern, and just plain fun. My favorite Stern release for sure and should be relatively low maintenance for you as there are not alot of complex mechs, etc.

#100 3 years ago

4500 gets you into used Stern SAM category. Spiderman, Iron Man, Star Trek...lots of great titles to choose from https://pinside.com/pinball/machine?query=&machine_generation=36#results

You could possibly find some newer SPIKE Sterns like Star Wars or Aerosmith or you could go the opposite direction and look at a few Stern Whitestar games.

Pretty much any System 11 game, a boat load of WPC games as well can be had at that price.

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinball-what-is-a-good-fun-machine-priced-around-1000/page/2?hl=misterhare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.