• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by thokennedy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

Hello everyone,

After many years of wanting to get into collecting pinballs, I finally did it. Purchased a Bally Mr and Ms. Pacman. Got it for $100, PF is very nice, cabinet needs a paint job but is solid. Back glass is perfect. The MPU is shot... and i mean bad. I have ordered a replacement unit which should be here shortly.

Been doing a lot of reading and testing and things seem to be in good condition. Here is my concern. When the PO powered it up to show me, 1 PF light came on and the score displays did a little as well... Thats all it does. Nothing else.....

Is this completely related to the acid killed MPU or do I have other issues that need to be looked at before install the new MPU? Please forgive for give me if this is a stupid question, but new to the hobby.

Thanks!!

#2 13 years ago

The displays are definitely not going to work if the CPU was toasted. But, your lamps on the playfield should at least partially work. There are two types of lamps on a PF. General and switched. The general illumination (GI) should be on when you turn power on. The switched (bonus multipliers, indicators, etc...) only light when the CPU turns them on.

If your GI isn't lit, it may be a fuse or it could be a bunch of bad bulbs. The only way to tell is to replace a few or check the fuse. You could also have some bad wiring or connectors on the power supply.

BTW - Welcome to the Pinside

G

#3 13 years ago

Thanks! I will trace out the GI circuit and see what I find. I have cleaned the power module and verify all the fuses are good and the correct value. I found a guide on the bally machines that had some pretty good info on what to do before turning a machine on.

I follow the steps for the power supply check, most voltages were within spec, some were a little high.

I will work on the GI circuit till my new ultimate board comes in.

Thanks again!!

#4 13 years ago

Welcome to the hobby and the site

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinball-new-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.