(Topic ID: 202251)

Which Jersey Jack Machine Would You Buy if You Were Me?

By SwimLaw

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Jersey Jack Machine Would You Buy If You Were Me?”

• The Wizard of Oz 38 votes
    22%
  • The Hobbit 15 votes
    9%
  • Dialed In 74 votes
    43%
  • Wait for Pirates of the Caribbean 46 votes
    27%

(173 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

u93pv4yfldty (resized).jpg
IMG_7266 (resized).PNG
MD (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_20170716_155053850 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SwimLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have decided I am going to pull the trigger on a Jersey Jack Pinball machine. I need help deciding which one.

I really like the look of the licenced Jersey Jack machines: The WOZ, The Hobbit, and The Pirates of the Caribbean in particular look like very fun machines. However, I am completely torn between these games.

WOZ: Really like the playfield and the fun look of the game in general. I really like the HD video clips. But, the theme itself (i.e., the Wizard of Oz) is less than ideal for my kids who (quite frankly) have never seen the film or myself who was never a big fan of the movie. But, the playfield looks awesome.

The Hobbit: The Hobbit films are some of my favorite, but my wife and kids are not as big of fans as I am. This one looks like a great game too, but I am concerned about how barren the playfield looks. In essence I like the look of the machine and the HD screen clips better than the WOZ, but the field looks a little barren.

The Pirates of the Caribbean: This one seems to have the best theme for my kids. My oldest daughter's favorite films are the Pirates movies. I also really like the look of the playfield. However, I was very disappointed to learn that this new machine will not have any video clips showing actors' faces. It also has no callouts from, say, Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom or Geoffrey Rush. Also, it does not have the original theme song from the original score...bummer.

In conclusion, all three of the above games look very tempting, but let's assume I can only get one right now. Unfortunately, I also live in an area where arcade pinball and dealers are all but nonexistent, so play testing any of the above is out of the question.

My dilemma is simple, if I had to base my choice on theme, it would probably be Pirates, then the Hobbit, then the Wizard of Oz. If I had to go with the look of the overall playfield (since I can't playtest) it would go the Wizard of Oz, Pirates, and then the Hobbit. But, if I had to go with the quality of the HD clips, music, and callouts (immersive ambiance is critical), I would go the Hobbit, Oz, then apparently Pirates.

See my dilemma? I am totally torn over which one to buy. Hence, I need to ask the masters of the pinside forums the following honest question:

1) Given the above facts, which of the three Jersey Jack games I mentioned do you think I should buy? Please rank them. Commentary or rationale is appreciated.

Much appreciation in advance.

Best.

#21 6 years ago

WOW! Tons of good feedback for someone who is new. Thanks! (Had I known the pinball community was so awesome I would have done this long ago. )

To answer your questions, I live in Utah about 30 minutes North of Salt Lake. I have been trying to find a dealer with JJP pins in stock, but I haven't found one yet. Seems like the closest is Denver or Las Vegas. I guess the wife and I could make the trip to Vegas, but breaking away for a weekend is a lot with 4 younger kids still in the home (like, usually a major event ).

I really appreciate all the good feedback. Seems like the Hobbit can be a real hit or miss for some people. It seems you either love it a ton...or you don't. It appears I really need to play the Hobbit first before that one is considered. Probably best to keep that one as potentially a "second" machine until I find a way to play it.

A lot of people seem to like dialed in too. I hadn't considered that one because I didn't understand the theme, but I will take another look based on these recommendations. However, I am still not leaning towards it -- mainly because of the theme which I still don't entirely understand.

Seems like most people like the Wizard of Oz and most everyone also thinks that the POTC will be a fantastic pin once it is all put together. Both are on backorder right now on JJP's website. So I guess the question is, do I preorder the one that most think will be fantastic, but is a bit of a gamble? Or, do I preorder the one that everyone seems to think is already a fantastic game? Hard choice mainly only because (like I said) my oldest daughter is a HUGE Pirates and Johnny Depp fan.

Decisions..decisions...but you guys are awesome! (Seriously, I really appreciate all the feedback.)

Thanks!

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How does one go about becoming a swim lawyer and what does a swim lawyer do all day?

That obvious? I am a lawyer who likes to swim. I know I know...I have no creativity.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

If you feel like driving 4-5 hrs, you’re more than welcome to come out to play their current ones. I’ve got WOZrr, DIce, and THle...and I’d recommend playing them all before pulling the trigger. They all play so differently, but like you’ve pointed out, they’ve all got their pluses (and minuses). Personally, I love the variety between them all. PM me if you’re interested in making your way out, and we can set something up.

Thanks, Wyopin, I might take you up on this!

#72 6 years ago

Wow, thank you to everyone who has replied. You guys are great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Hampshire, IL
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 38.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SwimLaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinball-need-advice-and-direction?tu=SwimLaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.