(Topic ID: 202251)

Which Jersey Jack Machine Would You Buy if You Were Me?

By SwimLaw

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 79 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zaphX
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which Jersey Jack Machine Would You Buy If You Were Me?”

• The Wizard of Oz 38 votes
    22%
  • The Hobbit 15 votes
    9%
  • Dialed In 74 votes
    43%
  • Wait for Pirates of the Caribbean 46 votes
    27%

(173 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

u93pv4yfldty (resized).jpg
IMG_7266 (resized).PNG
MD (resized).jpg
hobbit (resized).JPG
IMG_20170716_155053850 (resized).jpg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I have decided I am going to pull the trigger on a Jersey Jack Pinball machine. I need help deciding which one.

I really like the look of the licenced Jersey Jack machines: The WOZ, The Hobbit, and The Pirates of the Caribbean in particular look like very fun machines. However, I am completely torn between these games.

WOZ: Really like the playfield and the fun look of the game in general. I really like the HD video clips. But, the theme itself (i.e., the Wizard of Oz) is less than ideal for my kids who (quite frankly) have never seen the film or myself who was never a big fan of the movie. But, the playfield looks awesome.

The Hobbit: The Hobbit films are some of my favorite, but my wife and kids are not as big of fans as I am. This one looks like a great game too, but I am concerned about how barren the playfield looks. In essence I like the look of the machine and the HD screen clips better than the WOZ, but the field looks a little barren.

The Pirates of the Caribbean: This one seems to have the best theme for my kids. My oldest daughter's favorite films are the Pirates movies. I also really like the look of the playfield. However, I was very disappointed to learn that this new machine will not have any video clips showing actors' faces. It also has no callouts from, say, Johnny Depp or Orlando Bloom or Geoffrey Rush. Also, it does not have the original theme song from the original score...bummer.

In conclusion, all three of the above games look very tempting, but let's assume I can only get one right now. Unfortunately, I also live in an area where arcade pinball and dealers are all but nonexistent, so play testing any of the above is out of the question.

My dilemma is simple, if I had to base my choice on theme, it would probably be Pirates, then the Hobbit, then the Wizard of Oz. If I had to go with the look of the overall playfield (since I can't playtest) it would go the Wizard of Oz, Pirates, and then the Hobbit. But, if I had to go with the quality of the HD clips, music, and callouts (immersive ambiance is critical), I would go the Hobbit, Oz, then apparently Pirates.

See my dilemma? I am totally torn over which one to buy. Hence, I need to ask the masters of the pinside forums the following honest question:

1) Given the above facts, which of the three Jersey Jack games I mentioned do you think I should buy? Please rank them. Commentary or rationale is appreciated.

Much appreciation in advance.

Best.

#2 6 years ago

Have them watch the movie then get the WOZ.

#3 6 years ago

What about Dialed In?

#4 6 years ago

Between Dialed In and WOZ

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from SwimLaw:

I also live in an area where arcade pinball and dealers are all but nonexistent, so play testing any of the above is out of the question.

where is your general location ? a family vacation to the factory would let you play test them all. or an upcoming pinball expo, they are usually all there.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

where is your general location ? a family vacation to the factory would let you play test them all. or an upcoming pinball expo, they are usually all there.

I agree play them first if at all possible. I took my wife and two kids twice for us to play hobbit and woz, and get a lot of play on them. We choose hobbit, and I still have it and love it. I played woz several times after. Good game but we are happy with our choice. That said you may prefer DI or WOZ more. I am interested in pirates for sure.

#8 6 years ago

Dialed In

#9 6 years ago

Completely impossible to know what you’re going to like. It’s like going out to dinner with my wife and she asks me what she should order. How the hell would I know what she’s in the mood for? If I tell her get the steak she’ll complain later that she should have ordered the chicken. Again, how can someone else tell you what you’re going to like. I know you said you probably can’t try them first but if I were you I find a way to overcome that obstacle because otherwise you’re going to spend a lot of money on what someone else likes and you may be disappointed. Not to beat a dead horse but there have been games I thought I’d love based on the theme and after playing them I found I didn’t care for the game. I’ve also tried games that I really had no interest in and was blown away. You really need to play them.

#10 6 years ago

Hard to know when Pirates will ship and how it will come together as a whole.

I took delivery of my first JJP pin a couple weeks ago...Dialed In LE. Amazing Lawlor design. Standard body. Quirky original theme that "works". Before I played it, thought the title/theme was goofy. After playing it, realized the theme's relevance and broad appeal.

DI is a winner. Unlike Hobbit, which is going down in value considerably, I think Dialed In will go in the other direction (once people realize how much fun it is and how much is packed into it!). The Hobbit is a stark, lousy design (though I'm sure the software & rules are great). Dialed In has it all...great design from a master, packed with toys/tricks, and great software. Even has a subway!...something missing from pins developed over the past decade.

snaroff

#11 6 years ago

Dialed In for sure. You will want one even if you get POTC. Different animals, Dialed In might just be Pat Lawlor's best game

IMG_20170716_155053850 (resized).jpgIMG_20170716_155053850 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

Somehow you need to play them and play them a lot . Woz is not the easiest to figure out, it's hard and it takes time.. Hobbit you will have more initial success however I don't think it's the best bet for a one game collection, it can be exhausting and very intense. I own Hobbit and Woz and love them both for different reasons. I play Hobbit the most of my pins.

I have played DI maybe 25-30 times but am taking a pass I like Hobbit and Woz way more than DI. I would consider Pirates but that's a long way off for me.

Level 257 in Schaumburg, IL has all three and they keep the games in good condition.

See what you started!

#13 6 years ago

Its a hard call at this point with POTC which looks to be great if they can deliver a full package of call outs and music.
My money would go toward a POTC and you can count on the resale settling around 8k like the others, easy trade for one of the others later if it doesn't work out. Whichever you choose it will be a solid built machine.

#14 6 years ago

POTC, easy choice there for sure.

#15 6 years ago

You mention you are a Hobbit fan. In my game room kids are really drawn to that one and you can find them for $6500 (one is currently listed for that), so if the cost is an issue that is probably the one to buy. I also have a WOZ and think it is a better game but it isn't as much of a bargain on the 2nd hand market. I don't have as much time on DI - it shoots nice but the theme isn't for everyone. Too early to judge POTC but it will be the most expensive and hardest to find, at least initially.

#16 6 years ago

I own RRWOZ and DILE. Both are great and are never leaving. I sold TH. Good pin just not great for me. POTC looks fun as hell but most have not tried it. If $ is not a issue, DI or WOZ you can't go wrong.

#17 6 years ago

I think if you are seriously considering Pirates you should sit tight until you are able to play one. It definitely looks cool, but it's very pricey and I'd want to make sure I like it A LOT before paying that kind of money.

WOZ: The best JJP pin so far. Not my favorite theme, but not a terrible theme (like DI). Very cool playfield layout. Very cool features. Love the 2 out lanes. Love the upper playfields. Seems to draw in the wives and kiddos. A very strong first effort.

Hobbit: Worst JJP pin so far. I like the theme well enough, but it's boring. Boring modes. Boring layout. Annoying pop-up characters. No satisfying shots. Wretched sound when the drop targets reset. Sadly, Hobbit blows.

DI: Not in my house. The theme is a jumbled mess with features that annoy the heck out of me. Selfies, emojis, a cell phone on the playfield, flippers you can control with your phone, etc. Who are they trying to appeal to with this crap? Millenials? Teenagers? Narcissistic tards with selfie sticks who can't put down their phone? I could care less about the layout, modes, art, etc because I'm so against this stupid crap crossing over into pinball. I'd say "get off my lawn", but I'm only 38.

p.s. Maybe there's a good game underneath if you don't mind that sort of thing. It's feature-rich and shoots well.

#18 6 years ago

Oh and DI is better than ANY stern out there so good choice in getting a JJP pin.

#19 6 years ago

JJP, for me, just hasn't brought it all together in one package yet.
For the premium price, it has to deliver.
WOZ is still my fav. POTC looks promising, we'll see.
Ive enjoyed dating them, but none enough to introduce to mom.

#20 6 years ago

Id get a Hobbit or a Pirates, great time to buy a Hobbit right now, prices are quite low used Id play it for a year or two and then sell and get pirates if it turns out great.

Woz, is a very clunky game, and of course the theme and sounds are well.. woz... easily their worst game.

Di shoots great! But again theme is bad, sounds and modes are kind of annoying too.. Crazy!

Hobbit is the only one that is all around great, fun game, once you take the time to learn the rules they are very deep and really fun game to play. Not to mention an amazing sound and art package.

Pirates, looks great! I love the theme too, but want to give it a flip before I bought one, and realistically you wont get one until mid next year if you ordered one now.

#21 6 years ago

WOW! Tons of good feedback for someone who is new. Thanks! (Had I known the pinball community was so awesome I would have done this long ago. )

To answer your questions, I live in Utah about 30 minutes North of Salt Lake. I have been trying to find a dealer with JJP pins in stock, but I haven't found one yet. Seems like the closest is Denver or Las Vegas. I guess the wife and I could make the trip to Vegas, but breaking away for a weekend is a lot with 4 younger kids still in the home (like, usually a major event ).

I really appreciate all the good feedback. Seems like the Hobbit can be a real hit or miss for some people. It seems you either love it a ton...or you don't. It appears I really need to play the Hobbit first before that one is considered. Probably best to keep that one as potentially a "second" machine until I find a way to play it.

A lot of people seem to like dialed in too. I hadn't considered that one because I didn't understand the theme, but I will take another look based on these recommendations. However, I am still not leaning towards it -- mainly because of the theme which I still don't entirely understand.

Seems like most people like the Wizard of Oz and most everyone also thinks that the POTC will be a fantastic pin once it is all put together. Both are on backorder right now on JJP's website. So I guess the question is, do I preorder the one that most think will be fantastic, but is a bit of a gamble? Or, do I preorder the one that everyone seems to think is already a fantastic game? Hard choice mainly only because (like I said) my oldest daughter is a HUGE Pirates and Johnny Depp fan.

Decisions..decisions...but you guys are awesome! (Seriously, I really appreciate all the feedback.)

Thanks!

#22 6 years ago

I have two words for you
DIALED IN

#23 6 years ago

Love them all. Can't go wrong with any jjp, but you really do need to try a game before dropping $7-9.5k.

#24 6 years ago

I still stand by my post saying you should try before you buy but it sounds like maybe you should go for a POTC. Theme should work with all the kids and the layout of the game looks like there’s a lot to do and should provide plenty of variety and challenges to keep you entertained for some time to come.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hard to know when Pirates will ship and how it will come together as a whole.
I took delivery of my first JJP pin a couple weeks ago...Dialed In LE. Amazing Lawlor design. Standard body. Quirky original theme that "works". Before I played it, thought the title/theme was goofy. After playing it, realized the theme's relevance and broad appeal.
DI is a winner. Unlike Hobbit, which is going down in value considerably, I think Dialed In will go in the other direction (once people realize how much fun it is and how much is packed into it!). The Hobbit is a stark, lousy design (though I'm sure the software & rules are great). Dialed In has it all...great design from a master, packed with toys/tricks, and great software. Even has a subway!...something missing from pins developed over the past decade.
snaroff

Just so you know The Hobbit has a subway too! The playfield of the Hobbit can appear stark at first but there's a ton there that opens up / gets activated as the game is played. TH actually fills up more spots on the IO board compared to WOZ.

From Keith Johnson posted a while back

hobbit (resized).JPGhobbit (resized).JPG

#26 6 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Concerning jjpotc if you have my skill level your going to need too play it a lot. I played it close to 20 times at the expo, my game times were similar to Ironman so short I couldn't form a opinion on gameplay, but it was very cool I just need a long ball save feature.

#27 6 years ago

4 younger kids? It's Dialed In All the way! WOZ a distant 2nd. My kids & their friends all love DI.

#28 6 years ago

Dialed In has my vote!

#29 6 years ago

I do not regret my Dialed In purchase one tiny bit. It is truly Lawlor’s masterpiece.

#30 6 years ago

If this were the Pinball Oscars, lol.

1. Best programmer in a leading game: Keith Johnson and Ted Estes (duh!, lol). Great programming all around.
2. Best sound design: David Thiel for The Hobbit
3. Best animations: JP for Dialed In
4. Best pin: WOZ
5. Best lighting: WOZ
6. Best objective based ruleset: Keith Johnson for The Hobbit
7. Best playfield design: Pat Lawlor for Dialed In
8. Best toys: Eric Meunier, Pirates of the Caribbean
9. Best cinematography: Keith Johnson for The Hobbit
10. Best use of drop targets: Keith Johnson for The Hobbit
11. Best new playfield design: Eric Meunier, Pirates of the Caribbean
12. Best backglass: John Youssi for Dialed In
13. Best playfield artwork: JP for The Hobbit
14. Best use of licensed assets: The Hobbit
15. Best interactive toy: Eric Meunier, c
16. Best use of magnets: Pat Lawlor for Dialed In
17. Best music: David Thiel for The Hobbit
18. Best outlane games: WOZ
19. Best wizard mode: Ted Estes for Dialed In
20. Best jackpot callouts: David Thiel for Dialed In
21. Best custom callouts: David Thiel for Pirates of the Caribbean

Oh, one more

22. Best director: Jack! (who else!)

#31 6 years ago

NOT TH, its terrible.

Get POTC, its new.

#32 6 years ago

I own DILE, I love both WOZ and Hobbit. I'm currently gathering funds for POTC. After playing POTC at expo and talking to Eric about the machine, I was sold! I had the same experience with DILE. Went to expo to play it and was hooked immediately!

#33 6 years ago

DI gets my vote..
(it’s a sweet shooting deck)

#34 6 years ago

Hobbit, then Woz. I own both and I consider them “quest pins”. Following along a story. Dialed in personally I don’t really like(although I am in the minority). For me maybe a potc in a year or so....let the “must havethe latest and greatest” crowd discover the bugs. My .02

#35 6 years ago

Well, up until a few weeks ago, I'd have said WOZ, hands down. It's still their best game. I like it a lot better than Dialed In, and (sorry), Dialed In is a lot better than Hobbit. However, then JJP dropped the bomb of POTC.

I feel like an ass, because I haven't played POTC yet. So my thoughts are just from video and what I know about the game. I think the game has a LOT of potential. It looks like it really has it going on.

So, if I was deciding to buy a JJP game right now, I'd wait a bit. Or, more likely I'd call Jack and ask if I could come down to Jersey and put a bit of time on the prototype to see what was going on. Then I'd decide between POTC and WOZ.

#36 6 years ago

WOZ,POTC,DI,HOBBIT. You can not go wrong with any JJP. Stellar games. They truly are the world under glass pinball.

#37 6 years ago

I own WOZECLE (NIB) day one, bought THCE sold it quickly, played many games on DI (not my cup of tee / theme alone kills it for me), saw a ton of video of PoTC (I will probably own that game too). I will wait to play it first tho.

Dropping the kind of $$$, shouldn't be done on other's opinions... I agree, if you could pull off a family trip to see / play at least 3 of them, that would immensely help in your decision.

#38 6 years ago

Dialed in. The theme will work for the kids and chances are you will be immersed in the game so you wont care about the theme anyway. This is true for some games i really enjoy...The modes will be great for the kids too.

Anyway, play some games on POTC first. The ship is baddass! But does it have anything substancial to do with the overall experience? Maybe it does! Maybe it doesn’t after a while. I.E. typical upper playfield arguements.

Why not get a Hobbit for $6k ish market and wait on JJP 5

#39 6 years ago

Mike at pinballs.com is having an event soon with JJP bringing in POTC if you are able to get to Connecticut.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

Mike at pinballs.com is having an event soon with JJP bringing in POTC if you are able to get to Connecticut.

Quite the event Mike is hosting.

LTG : )

MD (resized).jpgMD (resized).jpg

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Quite the event Mike is hosting.
LTG : )

Well that sounds awesome. That will be my first time playing it.

#42 6 years ago

WOZ, no question.

#43 6 years ago

I have WOZ and TH. I think WOZ is a far better game, but my best friend loves TH. He’s not much of a pinball player, so my small experience tells me that inexperienced players like the look/feel of TH, but experienced players like myself prefer WOZ. You may get the same experience.

#44 6 years ago

I know I am going to get a lot of down votes for this but Hobbit would be my choice, it is the one all my kids play. Also in the secondary market it offers one of the best values for the money. I have all three of JJP machines and my kids play Hobbit, DIaled In, and then WOZ. WOZ is a very difficult pin for kids, they struggle with the shots and rules. Hobbit is much more forgiving, easier to get multiball, easier to progress through the game. DIaled In is new they like what it has to offer but will revert back to the hobbit. There are many criticisms of Hobbit and they are valid, but if you have kids and want to get the best bang for your buck Hobbit is a great choice. My last comment is that if you are an average player you will enjoy Hobbit, I have had it for a couple of years and have only beaten Smaug once. My last piece of advice is to have your kids play the machines.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from BigT:

I know I am going to get a lot of down votes for this but Hobbit would be my choice, it is the one all my kids play. Also in the secondary market it offers one of the best values for the money. I have all three of JJP machines and my kids play Hobbit, DIaled In, and then WOZ. WOZ is a very difficult pin for kids, they struggle with the shots and rules. Hobbit is much more forgiving, easier to get multiball, easier to progress through the game. DIaled In is new they like what it has to offer but will revert back to the hobbit. There are many criticisms of Hobbit and they are valid, but if you have kids and want to get the best bang for your buck Hobbit is a great choice. My last comment is that if you are an average player you will enjoy Hobbit, I have had it for a couple of years and have only beaten Smaug once. My last piece of advice is to have your kids play the machines.

Wow, an all JJP collection! Are you going to get a Pirates of the Caribbean also?

#46 6 years ago

Welcome to pinside Swim..Toy Story is rumored for 2019 if you can wait...or pirates for now

#47 6 years ago

Bring the family down to Denver! WOZ, DI and Hobbit are all on route here, and well maintained, so you can try before you buy.

The logical thing would of course be to wait til POTC ships, try it, and then decide.

But if you want a machine now, then buying a HUO Hobbit might not be a terrible idea. I don’t have enough games on it to say how the gameplay will last at home (everyone seems to have strong feelings one way or the other), but it’s a beautiful machine. HUO prices are good right now ($6-6.5k) and even if they drop a bit more, it’s hard to believe you’d lose much if you decide to flip it in the spring and pick up a POTC.

Good luck!

#48 6 years ago

For me the pick would be between Wizard of Oz and Dialed In. Woz has a nice variety of shots and solid challenge. Dialed In has some nice flow, rules and toys.

Hobbit is fun but I find it easy to have extraordinarily long games on it with the easy ramp shots and wide open playfield.

Pirates is too early to tell. I would wait and see on that one.

Theme isn't everything. Play the games and see how you enjoy them. A great theme on a crappy pin makes for an expensive paperweight.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from SwimLaw:

WOW! Tons of good feedback for someone who is new. Thanks! (Had I known the pinball community was so awesome I would have done this long ago. )
To answer your questions, I live in Utah about 30 minutes North of Salt Lake. I have been trying to find a dealer with JJP pins in stock, but I haven't found one yet. Seems like the closest is Denver or Las Vegas. I guess the wife and I could make the trip to Vegas, but breaking away for a weekend is a lot with 4 younger kids still in the home (like, usually a major event ).
I really appreciate all the good feedback. Seems like the Hobbit can be a real hit or miss for some people. It seems you either love it a ton...or you don't. It appears I really need to play the Hobbit first before that one is considered. Probably best to keep that one as potentially a "second" machine until I find a way to play it.
A lot of people seem to like dialed in too. I hadn't considered that one because I didn't understand the theme, but I will take another look based on these recommendations. However, I am still not leaning towards it -- mainly because of the theme which I still don't entirely understand.
Seems like most people like the Wizard of Oz and most everyone also thinks that the POTC will be a fantastic pin once it is all put together. Both are on backorder right now on JJP's website. So I guess the question is, do I preorder the one that most think will be fantastic, but is a bit of a gamble? Or, do I preorder the one that everyone seems to think is already a fantastic game? Hard choice mainly only because (like I said) my oldest daughter is a HUGE Pirates and Johnny Depp fan.
Decisions..decisions...but you guys are awesome! (Seriously, I really appreciate all the feedback.)
Thanks!

Even if the JJP site says "backordered", that is not your only source. Odds are good distributors have some inventory. Try Joe at Pinballstar or Mike at Automated Services.

Are there any JJP pin owners living near this guy?

#50 6 years ago

I am pretty close by, you can try out my hobbit

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 38.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinball-need-advice-and-direction?hl=tbutler6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.