(Topic ID: 137509)

New to Pinball... I'm in love... Now I want one!

By S2005

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by saford
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

patience.gif
20150528_200350.jpg
20150805_194933.jpg
20150720_183646.jpg
20150601_205506.jpg
20150613_202249.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ravenblackthorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Do this...if you have a Playstation etc. you can do it on there...fully licensed versions of classic pinball machines. Still not exactly the same as playing the real thing(some I like on PS4 I don't like in real life), but good way to check a bunch out.

I think that this is probably the best idea (coupled with continuing to save), and I'll explain why.

I think that the "you'll own two within three months" phenomena is probably as pervasive as it is because we're trying to satisfy that initial "want" as quickly as possible--and we convince ourselves that any ol' machine within our price range will do. Only to find that that machine that we ran out and bought quickly is not the machine that we fell in love with (in this case the OP fell in love with Stern's Star Trek)

Chances are--he'll still buy that Stern Star Trek shortly after the initial newness of that impulse buy wears off. My advice would be to continue to save until you are able to afford that machine that caused you to fall in love. Why? Because you won't be able to avoid comparing Blackout or Wipe Out to it, which will only leave you disappointed. Consider waiting a bit longer to save up for that pin that you know for sure that you will love, because you might find yourself with buyers remorse if you don't.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

either way there's absolutely no guarantee that you won't get sick of the game, regardless of title.

I don't disagree with this, he may in fact find out after playing Star Trek for a while that he wants to sell it to purchase something different. That's certainly a possibility. I think that it's an even greater possibility that he purchases something within his immediate budget, and is left wanting more because he keeps comparing it to his first love, particularly since he said that he could save and have the funds that he needed in a couple months.

#81 8 years ago
Quoted from DanTheGlassMan:

Dude subscribe to tnt entertainments youtube channel. Watch as todd tuckey makes you fall in love with almost any game he shows. Great dude! And he goes in depth on all the games so you can pivk a title that is right for you. 2000 will get you a lot of pinball. Lots of great games to be hadin that price range.

I'd second that, and add: "Use the Pin Map to try and find those games that you think you'll enjoy on location, and see if you really like them or not". I fell in love with the theme and video gameplay of several pins, only to be left indifferent after actually playing them on location. That aside, it sounds like you've found some games that you really enjoy. Now the real quest begins--finding that perfect balance of price, condition, and location/aka "I wish you were closer!". (I'm in the same boat as you man, saving, searching, and waiting--all the while playing on location when I can.)

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from S2005:

...It would build credit

I doubt you'll see anyone advocating going into debt for a pin. That aside, there is such a thing as a good use of credit, particularly if you are trying to build your current credit. Assuming that you have the funds to pay it off, you could use this as an opportunity to build your credit as well (rather than just walking in with a stack of greenbacks). I rarely purchase anything with cash. I save up the money until I can afford it, I'll purchase it with my AMEX, and then pay off the balance in full during my next billing cycle. That way I get the purchase protection, the rewards dollars, and continue to build my credit worthiness.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ravenblackthorn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinball-im-in-love-now-i-want-one?tu=ravenblackthorn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.