(Topic ID: 137509)

New to Pinball... I'm in love... Now I want one!

By S2005

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 128 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by saford
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

patience.gif
20150528_200350.jpg
20150805_194933.jpg
20150720_183646.jpg
20150601_205506.jpg
20150613_202249.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#50 8 years ago

Buy an EM or another game for under $1,000.

You can play the big money stuff at your friend's place.

Get all moronic thoughts of spending money you don't have out of your head. Bad way to start.

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from S2005:

Thank you everyone!!!
I'm looking at a local pair for just about my price range... It's a Blackout and a Wipe Out. He sent me some pictures.
And he also said:
"On the Blackout: I tore the playfield completely down automotive clear coated and reassembled. Some touch up. Rebuilt driver board. Beautiful game imo."
"On the Wipeout: Really fun game! Missing a small plastic but you don't really notice when Playing. I've been meaning to make one. Trying g to find pics I may néed to take more..."
20150528_200350.jpg
20150601_205506.jpg
20150601_205506.jpg
20150720_183646.jpg
20150805_194933.jpg

20150613_202249.jpg

I've had both of these games.

Blackout is a cool time capsule with great sound and looks, and it looks like the seller did nice work. But it's a really easy game once you get the hang of it, and there's not much to it. No multiball either. It's missing the staying power of similar games like Firepower and Flash.

Wipe Out is a fun Premier title that like all of them isn't quite up to the Bally/Williams standards of the time. I certainly wouldn't spend $2,000 on one but if it's closer to $1,000 that's a fair price and you'll be able to sell it for what you bought it for when you want to move on in a couple months. It's got multiball and some fun shots, and the "ski lift" is a neat, simple "toy." Wipe Out is also likely to be very reliable as the Gottleib System 3 games are...can't really say the same for Blackout - those boards and connectors can cause trouble as they are very old. No idea if the guy has done all the work needed to bulletproof that game.

Of those two Wipe Out is probably more what you are looking for since you like modern DMD-style games. Local is a BIG plus.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

I think that this is probably the best idea (coupled with continuing to save), and I'll explain why.
I think that the "you'll own two within three months" phenomena is probably as pervasive as it is because we're trying to satisfy that initial "want" as quickly as possible--and we convince ourselves that any ol' machine within our price range will do. Only to find that that machine that we ran out and bought quickly is not the machine that we fell in love with (in this case the OP fell in love with Stern's Star Trek)
Chances are--he'll still buy that Stern Star Trek shortly after the initial newness of that impulse buy wears off. My advice would be to continue to save until you are able to afford that machine that caused you to fall in love. Why? Because you won't be able to avoid comparing Blackout or Wipe Out to it, which will only leave you disappointed. Consider waiting a bit longer to save up for that pin that you know for sure that you will love, because you might find yourself with buyers remorse if you don't.

This is terrible advice.

He should buy a game - NOW - that is within his budget and he thinks looks like fun. That way he can do exactly what he wants - own a pinball machine, now. Why should he save for months or years for a $5000 game? That's a terrible way to get into the hobby.

15 years ago, I "wanted" an Addams Family. I settled for a $400 EM. I loved it. There's plenty of time on down the road to get that "dream game," which he may or may not still want at that time. You can spend $400 or you can spend $4000 - either way there's absolutely no guarantee that you won't get sick of the game, regardless of title.

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

I've held my tounge up to this point because I don't really know the folks on here. And I don't know how people here view the hobby along with finances. And I don't want to offend people either.
What I'm reading in this thread is really, really heading in a bad direction in terms of financial smarts. In my view, the OP is not in a position to drop a few grand on a toy based on what he's shared. I fully appreciate there are people making different amounts of money and we are all in a different place financially. My pin was a little less than two week's gross household income and I still spent six months getting my wife on board.
OP...please think carefully before you spend this much money on a toy.

Fact.

Op should buy an EM for $600 or less. Way more people should start out this way.

And virtual pins are terrible and a total waste of money. You'd be better off with the worlds most basic EM than a virtual pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pasadena, TX
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinball-im-in-love-now-i-want-one?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.