(Topic ID: 78460)

New to pinball and especially interested in EM!

By Nateo

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by aahgo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider textrivers.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 10 years ago

Hey Nateo, welcome to the disease! And to this forum, where you'll find friendly folks who are afflicted worse than you are.

I'd say your best bet for getting your first machine is going to be Craigslist. What you should look for depends heavily on how interested you are in the repair/maintenance side of the hobby. I think bringing a dead or dying old machine back to life is sometimes more fun than playing, but maybe it's not for everybody. Anyway if you can find something that's not working, you're more likely to get a better deal. Watch Craigslist closely, have a price range in mind, and when you find something that fits that price range don't hesitate to go get it. Unless it's a theme or an art package that you absolutely can't stand, your first game doesn't have to be your one true love -- just something to learn on.

I will also say that 90% of people in this hobby think Gottlieb is across the board better than other manufacturers. Without commenting on whether or not that's the case, I think it can work in your favor to know that a LOT of Bally and Williams games are a ton of fun, and totally worth pursuing.

Good luck!! Let us know how you make out. Keep your eye on the Craigslist thread here ("Some good-looking EM Classics just came up on CL") for a good sense of fair price nationally, and watch your local Craigslist for something that looks fun.

#10 10 years ago

Hello again Nateo,

On reading through the thread again, I think it's probably best to assume that you'll have to do some amount maintenance on your first EM, even if it's working 100% when you pick it up. As others have said, things happen -- switches bend, steppers gum up, etc.

Read this thoroughly: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm -- this is the Bible of EM repair. It will teach you everything you need to know, including how to simply look for problems.

Some interesting stuff in Buffalo (probably already gone by now, but interesting as a snapshot of what's out there):
    Top Hand, $400: buffalo.craigslist.org link

Aladdin's Castle, $425: buffalo.craigslist.org link

Palooka, $225: buffalo.craigslist.org link

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nateo:

You know, it may be tough going for me at first with the repairs, but you gotta start somewhere.

It's easier than it looks. You're gonna have so much fun.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider textrivers.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-pinball-and-especially-interested-in-em?tu=textrivers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.