(Topic ID: 249801)

New (to me) High Speed - play it or tweak it?

By PatD

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PatD
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191004_073825 (resized).jpg
co17 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190828_114232652 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190823_133022503 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from PatD:

Yes, the kits are cheap enough (Looks like $20 before probably another $20 of shipping is my guess.) At that point, if the nice new board is $100, I'll just swap it. I could see spending at least an hour rebuilding the PS, so not sure it's worth my time at that point.

That's hard to say, imo. Are you good at board work? If not, it may be a better choice to go with a new one. If you're looking to learn though, it could be a good opportunity.

I'm just thinking if it's your first pin, this could be a chance to gain some skills and knowledge that may help you further down the line. You may eventually need to change out a transistor or some header pins or something, and having the tools and experience already in place will help make it an easier task to navigate. Replacing a board over a bad cap or transistor can add up pretty quickly, though that may not be an issue for you.

Still, if you decide to replace the board, be sure to hold on to the old one to practice soldering on, or offer it up for someone to buy and refurb for their game. Old boards sometimes get a bad rap, but i find they are generally as reliable as any aftermarket boards once properly gone over. Plus there's *tons* of technical/repair info accumulated for the original boards, generally making them easier to troubleshoot and fix than aftermarket boards. I'm not saying every old board is worth saving, but a fair amount of times they probably are. Either way, enjoy your game! (Once you get those bridge rectifier fuses installed, of course! )

1 month later
#24 4 years ago

You can usually re-position the ball launcher a bit by loosening the nuts or bolts that fasten it to the inside of the cabinet. Try to center the shooter with the ball and re-tighten.

#28 4 years ago

When the ball is sitting in the shooter lane, is it resting on the tip of the plunger?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-me-high-speed-play-it-or-tweak-it?tu=frunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.