Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

000_2547.jpg
000_2546.jpg
000_2545.jpg
000_2544.jpg
000_2543.jpg

#1 9 years ago

Hi Guys,new to the forum,thanks for having me.Just bought a used Gorgar that the gentleman could not get to run.Powers up but no displays light up anymore and she just sits there with the play table lights and backglass lights on.Hear a slight humming out of the high voltage box,that's about it.Any idea where to start since the master display don't light to give any error code?Here are a few pics if that might help?Thanks very much,
Mike

000_2543.jpg000_2543.jpg 000_2544.jpg000_2544.jpg 000_2545.jpg000_2545.jpg 000_2546.jpg000_2546.jpg 000_2547.jpg000_2547.jpg
#3 9 years ago

Thanks Sir,an update-I actually got it to work!There is a plug I unplugged and plugged back in,it's on the back cabinet,the farthest to the left and upper board by itself at about 10 opkclock-the game seems to plays fine,but still no number displays on any of the 5 numerical readouts!Thanks again very much,
Mike

#4 9 years ago

Is there any place to get a schematic / manual for this machine?Must be a main fuse blown,lost everything and the high voltage box was getting a little warm.Would really like to fix this pin.Thanks very much guys,
Mike

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from Greygoose:

Is there any place to get a schematic / manual for this machine?Must be a main fuse blown,lost everything and the high voltage box was getting a little warm.Would really like to fix this pin.Thanks very much guys,
Mike

You can download the manual and get the schematics at IPDB.org

#7 9 years ago

First thing to do is probably acquire the schematic Vid pointed you to and then check all of the output voltages at the power supply. If you're not getting the 100V high-voltage output you won't have any displays for sure. So first things first...

I may just not be able to see it in your photo, but is the ground wire attached to that screw post in the bottom of the backbox? There should be a wire attached there, usually with a wing nut. It has to be disconnected to remove the head, and is often forgotten when reassembling.

If you don't already know, be careful with the 2 big plugs where the backbox connects to the cabinet. On some machines, they are the same color and can be misconnected. Doing so will fry many things, so always verify the wire colors on both sides of each plug before you power on. On many machines one pair will be white and the other black, but not always, and I would verify wire colors anyway.

Good luck!

Dave

#8 9 years ago

Thanks Guys!

#9 9 years ago

Dave-
I did not have the ground hooked but got it done.Now,the high voltage box as I called it-I found out is the transformer.It gets hot to the point of smoke if I let the power switch on for more than a few seconds.

#10 9 years ago

Nice clear redrawn diagrams for system 6 are available here http://www.firepower.2ya.com/

#11 9 years ago

Transformers shouldn't smoke. I'd be surprised if it isn't bad. One possibility might be to unsolder all of the transformers outputs and then see if it can be powered up without smoking. If so, meter its output lugs to see if they all are within spec. I'm guessing you'll find the transformer will smoke even with everything disconnected, indicating its windings are possibly shorted.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Greygoose:

Dave-
I did not have the ground hooked but got it done.Now,the high voltage box as I called it-I found out is the transformer.It gets hot to the point of smoke if I let the power switch on for more than a few seconds.

It is most likely the transformer or the bridge rectifiers......as toyguy noted.
I'm surprised the Fuse didn't blow!
* Disconnect the the outputs so there is no load on the transformer assy.; that way you isolate the problem to that assy. I would just pull the Fuses and monitor the Voltages. You might be able to find what transformer output is the problem.
@ Check the voltages quickly and Power OFF, so you don't cause more damage.
** You may have bad Bridge rectifiers, which are much cheaper than the transformer.
John

Post edited by JKnPA: Adding more info

#13 9 years ago

Sounds like a plan,I unplugged both bridge rectifiers and still the smoke,almost like a dead short.I am going to go ahead and unsolder the transformer so it's isolated and see what happens.Will post results-thanks again very much Guys!
Mike

#14 9 years ago

Okay Guys,I isolated the transformer and no change-it must be fried.Smoke pouring out of the input side of it when powered up.The main power fuse is not blowing probably because I put a heavier one in it,so looks like I am gonna at least need a transformer.Anyone have a good one?Are these specific to this game or will any Williams 50-60 Hertz work for it?Thanks again very much,
Mike

#15 9 years ago

I have seen (too) many burned transformers caused by the fact people overfused the high voltage section for the displays. Might be worth to check before you replace the transformer and burn another one. Not long ago a customer burned the transformer he replaced in a Data East game and discovered a failing high voltage section fused with 8A (iso 500mA or something in this range)......

#16 9 years ago

Correct-from what I found it looks like the display fuse is a quarter amp?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Greygoose:

Correct-from what I found it looks like the display fuse is a quarter amp?

Right.......... Measure the Bridge rectifiers before you install a new transformer!
In fact I would buy new ones as long as you are replacing the Transformer.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from JKnPA:

Right.......... Measure the Bridge rectifiers before you install a new transformer!
In fact I would buy new ones as long as you are replacing the Transformer.

And fuse them if that isn't done before! Or buy an "Inkochnito rectifierboard"......

Marco

#19 9 years ago

Welcome Greygoose, to the unofficial club of noobs that Gorgar hazes into the hobby You will learn a lot from Gorgar. The help from pinside members will get you through it and hopefully there will be a local guy that can help you out a bit. Gorgar is a great game when you get the bugs out of them.

#20 9 years ago

Thanks Dozer,seems like a very cool game,I would love to get it up and running again.Anyone have a transformer for sale for this machine?Thanks again,
Mike

#21 9 years ago

Do a search on EBay for Williams Transformer - that turns up a few options but you'll need to verify part numbers and such.

This one looks like around the same time period: ebay.com link: Williams Pinball Machine Power Transformer Wiring Harness Pulled From Phoenix

#22 9 years ago

I actually bought one from the same seller off a Gorgar,thanks again very much!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-me-gorgar-wont-start-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.