• Latest reply 7 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Coil_(resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

First off, thanks for any help in advance. I love this site and it has been a huge help to me already. I did a flipper rebuild on my Sega X-Files, which ended up pretty well if I do say so myself, so I decided to do the same on my South Park. The coil sleeve appears to be burned/melted to the coil, and I can't remove it. I searched the forum, and it seems the best thing to do is purchase a new one since the current one melted the coil sleeve. Here's what I need help with; I'm not sure what to buy. I did a Google search for "South Park Flipper Coil" and got sites like Macro Specialties but they have multiple options. Some have diodes and others don't, so I'm not sure what to buy. I have a picture of the coil attached to this post for reference.

Again, thank you for any help in advance you guys seem great,

Eric

Coil_(resized).JPGCoil_(resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

if the coil melted, no doubt it did so because it was stuck on. if you just replace it without finding the culprit, it may just happen again with the new one. according to page 8 of the manual linked above, it's transistor Q15 or Q16 depending if that's your left or right flipper coil.

test the transistor with a multimeter using this - http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

if it tests bad, you need to desolder it to remove it and put a replacement one in (probably no more than a dollar or two). good luck and let us know how you get on

#4 7 years ago

He was saying that the coil sleeve is stuck in the coil. I don't think it "melted". Just replace the coil, as it was working fine before.

#5 7 years ago

If the coil sleeve is simply in tight (as opposed to melted in place), you can use a nut driver to tap it out. I forget what size, but one of them fits well enough to tap out the sleeve.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffc:

If the coil sleeve is simply in tight (as opposed to melted in place), you can use a nut driver to tap it out. I forget what size, but one of them fits well enough to tap out the sleeve.

5/16"

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from cooldan:

if the coil melted, no doubt it did so because it was stuck on. if you just replace it without finding the culprit, it may just happen again with the new one. according to page 8 of the manual linked above, it's transistor Q15 or Q16 depending if that's your left or right flipper coil.
test the transistor with a multimeter using this - http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=general#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29
if it tests bad, you need to desolder it to remove it and put a replacement one in (probably no more than a dollar or two). good luck and let us know how you get on

My replacement coil arrived today, so thank you o-din. I'm not sure if I'd call it melted or stuck. I can't get it out with needle nose pliers because it just crumbles apart.

#8 7 years ago

You're welcome sir.
I've pulled sleeves by cutting and peeling them out, but if like you said they are melted in there the only thing to do is replace the coil. If it is locking on shut it off and fix it. Otherwise, enjoy!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-hobby-not-handy-need-help-with-south-park-flipper-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.