7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kcZ
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 7 years ago

Before I join a harley forum and look like a complete fool, hopefully some of you can educate me. I recently purchased a 2003 FXSTD anniversary edition from a buddy in Chicago. It only has 3K miles on it in 13 years. Unfortunately, he trailered it to his new home in the winter on salty Illinois roads and didn't wash it down until the spring. So nearly every zinc plated bolt is crusted/oxidized, and some of the larger chrome pieces are pitting (primary cover, front shock tower and risers, all foot pegs, gear linkage rod, etc.)

I've ordered a complete stainless bolt kit from Alloyz in Fla (seems to be well regarded) and what those don't cover I should be able to source the rest at hardware stores.

I've got Mobil 1 V twin oil for the engine, transmission and primary, some new sparks and a new oil filter. That's the first step. It fires right up and seems to run fine, but for a bike that's been sporadically used, any other major tune up steps I should take?

Also, for the larger chrome pieces, any good sources? I see JPCycle as one....Harley want's a first born. And for the remaining pieces best chrome polisher...not too much chrome on our pins so I don't know a good one

Any other tips would be appreciated....I've ridden on/off for 25 years, but first HD.

TIA

#2 7 years ago

Your local dealer likely carries all kinds of aftermarket replacement parts. You don't necessarily have to buy OEM manufactured replacement parts. There are other options available.

#3 7 years ago

The first thing you should be aware of is possible engine issues. Harley introduced the twin cam engine in 1999. There is well documented info on the premature failure of the cam chain tensioners. The tensioners are made of a composite material. When the composite material wears away, its metal against metal, which usually grenades the motor, by having metal shavings plug the oil pump. Replacing a motor will run in excess of $5K.
Getting actual facts on the cam chain tensioner issue is difficult to impossible. A recurring story (rumor) is Harley had 3 suppliers of cam chain tensioners. 1 of the 3 suppliers produced the faulty parts. Harley still doesn't want to publicly admit anything.
On your next shop service, have them inspect the cam chain tensioners. It runs about $100. I know many bikers that had to replace the tensioners in the 1999 - 2006 twin cam motors. Some went bad at 10K miles, some went bad at 20K miles, some made it to 60K miles, and a couple guys had to completely replace there engines.
If you're aware of the problem and have it periodically checked, there shouldn't be an issue. Replacement of the cam chain, tensioners & oil pump generally runs $1K - $1.2K. Aftermarket gear drive system available at $1200 - $1500. There may even be another alternative fix.

My guess is the previous owner of the bike went to Daytona for bike week, and likely spent some time riding on the beach....starting the chrome decaying process.

My experience with Harley dating back to 1979, has been to avoid dealerships and patronize independent bike shops. Nearly every part of a Harley is available aftermarket. Avoid anything made in China or India, as its usually junk that will give short service before it fails

#4 7 years ago

Good to know on the cam chain tensioner....

I changed the Engine and Transmission oil yesterday. The Transmission drain plug's magnet had the slightest hint of a metallic aluminum colored paste on it. The Engine plug magnet, clean as a whistle. Anything to be concerned about?

#5 7 years ago

You can run the newest tensioner design (hydraulic) on your bike, it requires a new cam plate and different cams. I recommend going that route.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-harleyneed-some-info and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.