You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SANY0179.JPG
SANY0180.JPG
paragon_title.JPG
#1 11 years ago

Hello everybody! My name is Kelly im 24 and I work as an IT tech. I just picked up my first pin Sunday night. I've been in the market for about a month now, and settled on what I thought was a good deal. I was pretty nervous about buying such an old game. I'm used to playing the pins at our bowling ally(Addams Family, and Jurassic Park) and was worried that I would get bored with a game of this age super fast. Boy was I pleasantly surprised! After we got it home and in through the front door we quickly came to realize the widebody was impossible to make the turn into the hallway to get into the game room. I let one of my friends convince me going in through the window was a good idea and would work. We had to tilt it in through the window backglass first but got it in the room without any collateral damage. Got it all set up and I could not stop playing. I played for a little over 4 hours in one setting. Got a high score of 668,000ish. I found the difficulty of this machine makes it impossible to stop playing. Just one more credit I keep telling myself.

The machine itself works great. A few lights out, has the problem of some sockets dont make good contact and come in and out when playing. The second right flipper does work but is very weak, makes it increadibly hard to hit the drop targets. The cabniet is in less than good shape. The red is basically non existent. My wife has offered to stencil it all out and repaint all of it by hand. The playfield has some pretty harsh wear on it. I don't think I'll ever get it re-touched. 1 reason is money 2 is I kind of dig the persinality it gives the machine. I will be looking for a new backglass. The old is cracking pretty bad. All around im extreamly happy with the find. I ended up getting it for $425.

Now on to the pics! Sorry for the quality, these are phone pics but will get some with the camera a bit later.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af156/killer20072001/IMG_6671.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af156/killer20072001/IMG_7511.jpg

The wife and cat playing.
http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af156/killer20072001/IMG_8060.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Welcome to the world of pinball! Paragon is great...a game I wasn't specifically looking for is a game I have trouble walking away from now.

You will find a great group of people here and all the information you could ever ask for!

#3 11 years ago

Welcome to Pinside! Paragon was my first pin as well and I still have it. Definitely one of my favorites from that era...!

#4 11 years ago

Paragon is a work of art in every way. Great machine!

By the way, there's an incredible Paragon restore thread here on Pinside that someone posted as he went along, and the pics will make you drool... Look it up and I think you'll find he posted color codes for everything.

The risk/reward shots on the Valley of Demons situated above the Beast's Lair is just awesome. You need to fix that second right flipper to experience it fully!

Congrats on a great first machine! Paragon is one of the best.

#5 11 years ago

Congrats on the nice pick up for your first pin! I noticed the level sitting on the top of the head, If you leveled the machine with it up there, it might not be true leveled. Level it with it on the playfield, you might need a smaller level. Once again Confrats, always a good feelin' bringing one home.

#6 11 years ago

Thanks everybody. I'm already talking to the same guy I bought it from, might be picking up a Space Shuttle from him soon. I've already ordered the parts to fix the flipper, a button, and bulbs. Out of all the time I've played it I've only made it up the Valley of Demons once. Thanks for the hint on the level also.

Does anyone know if it's supposed to save your high score when you power the machine down? Its still plugged in but every time I flip the switch on and off the high score and free credit settings are all reset.

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af156/killer20072001/SANY0173.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af156/killer20072001/SANY0177.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af156/killer20072001/SANY0176.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af156/killer20072001/SANY0175.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/af156/killer20072001/SANY0174.jpg

Can anybody give me a hint on how to post just the pics and not the links? I tried the IMG code but that didnt work.

#7 11 years ago

Check the batteries for high score. Either no good or none at all. I have two, one needs to be fixed. Both had batteries remove from the main board. Only one actually had a remote battery hook up to it. Not much chance finding a good back glass, no reproductions made. I Bought the second one only because it had a perfect backglass. Have fun with it, i love mine. Very hard keeps me coming back for more.

#8 11 years ago

probably one of the best backglasses of all time. congrats on the addition

#9 11 years ago

Awesome 1st choice. This pin has been kicking my ass since 1985. You can pick up a stencil kit for that beauty at pinball pal for $120.

#10 11 years ago

Welcome to Pinside and nice score BTW. It's one of the most beautiful games.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from mantz88:

might be picking up a Space Shuttle from him soon

Ohhhhhhh.......... Your're in deep now!

Nice player Paragon. Cool pin.

#12 11 years ago

Kelly,

Congrats on the new game, and the good looking wife.

If you want to see how deep the strategies for Paragon go, check out this great video:

http://papa.org/blog/games-of-the-week/paragon/

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from mantz88:

The wife and cat playing.

Gives new meaning to the Beast's Lair with a cat sitting on it.

#14 11 years ago

My fathers first game. An amazing one at that. It can be a bit of bitch sometimes!

Congrats and welcome!

#15 11 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and comment on the wife. I am in fact going back this Saturday to pick up the Space Shuttle for $800.

#16 11 years ago

Congrats on the Paragon! By your stats, you made pinball just that much cooler!

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from mantz88:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, and comment on the wife. I am in fact going back this Saturday to pick up the Space Shuttle for $800.

Good luck with the space shuttle pickup. Good price if it is in decent shape.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from mantz88:

Can anybody give me a hint on how to post just the pics and not the links?

Just below the text box here there is an option to upload your images once you've browsed and selected use the "upload" button to post , If you click "send post " the images will not be included.
Congrats on the Paragon great player and also one of the best looking pinball machines ever made.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Just below the text box here there is an option to upload your images once you've browsed and selected use the "upload" button to post , If you click "send post " the images will not be included.

If you are using Firefox, just drag the images you want into the BROWSE box below the text box. They will automatically appear without browsing for them.

#20 11 years ago

Welcome to Pinside! ...and you picked wisely. Paragon will never leave my collection. Classic Playfield Reproductions (CPR) should be selling reproduction Paragon backglasses soon, and I've heard rumors they may do a re-run of the playfield as well.

paragon_title.JPGparagon_title.JPG

#21 11 years ago

I hope they do both. I'd have to pick up a second job to afford them, but damn, I'd be so in for a new playfield and Backglass!

#22 11 years ago

+1 for the cute wife.
Hope to pick up a Paragon myself one of these days & I like Space Shuttle too. Why can't you live next door?!?

#23 11 years ago

So the guy just text me and told me he is picking up a Gottlieb Black Hole he is going to be getting and would sell me it the same as the Space Shuttle $800. Which game do you guys think is better gameplay/value wise?

#24 11 years ago

Space Shuttle is more fun and less headache to maintain, but for $800 I'd just take both games and have 3 total.

$800 is not a lot of money, and someone here will buy any games you decide don't fit in your collection.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Welcome to Pinside! ...and you picked wisely. Paragon will never leave my collection. Classic Playfield Reproductions (CPR) should be selling reproduction Paragon backglasses soon, and I've heard rumors they may do a re-run of the playfield as well.

Cool good to know thanks.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Space Shuttle is more fun and less headache to maintain, but for $800 I'd just take both games and have 3 total.
$800 is not a lot of money, and someone here will buy any games you decide don't fit in your collection.

I would love to pick up both but as it stands now it's one or the other. He is not even positive that he will have Black Hole when I get there.

I have another question. Where is the battery? I am a total noob and cannot find it.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from mantz88:

Where is the battery?

Remove the backglass, then swing open the backbox door.

#28 11 years ago

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first pin as you can see the forums is very helpful on guiding you in the right direction.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from mantz88:

I would love to pick up both but as it stands now it's one or the other. He is not even positive that he will have Black Hole when I get there.
I have another question. Where is the battery? I am a total noob and cannot find it.

Main board bottom left. Could be on the board or attached to main board with wire. Or It could be not there at all.

#30 11 years ago

Welcome Mantz88! I just started a post about how this hobby has made me into an idiot and I love it!

#31 11 years ago

Congrats on the first pin. I would love to get one some day. You sound like me after I got my first game. I started looking for another almost immediately.

I'm surprised no one has said anything about the sunbeam across your game. Keep your curtains closed or it will get faded.

Jason

#32 11 years ago

Congrats! Love the pics.
Now....get the second and watch them breed!!!!

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

Now....get the second and watch them breed!!!!

Haha love it.

Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I'm surprised no one has said anything about the sunbeam across your game. Keep your curtains closed or it will get faded.
Jason

Thanks for the tip on the sun. I always keep the blinds closed in there but the cats have killed them. Sounds like a good excuse to invest in a curtain finally.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

Congrats on the first pin. I would love to get one some day. You sound like me after I got my first game. I started looking for another almost immediately.
Jason

Great catch on the sunbeam! Very right. Don't want to fade anything any further.

Again, Welcome to the forum and the friendly advice you will get here!

#35 11 years ago

Hello Kelly! Nice to have you aboard. Also nice to have an IT tech on here. I think people will like you a lot! Ha.
Mike

#36 11 years ago

Here is the Space Shuttle. I am loving it. Only real wear is on the bonus insets in the middle.

SANY0180.JPGSANY0180.JPG

#37 11 years ago

Another

SANY0179.JPGSANY0179.JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-forum-my-first-pin-paragon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.