(Topic ID: 182323)

New to forum

By Mr_Capnrock

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

corrosion1 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been playing pins for 30+ years off and on. I don't own any but I'm looking to change that. I really like the SS style games. First pin I honestly remember playing the hell out of was taxi. I spent my hard earned mowing money playing it.

#2 7 years ago

Welcome to Pinside.

#3 7 years ago

Welcome to Pinside! Great place for info when needed.

Just a word of warning! If you do buy one good luck stopping at one, I was only getting one I now have 8 with one on order...love the hobby.

#4 7 years ago

Welcome!

#5 7 years ago

Welcome to the sickness.

#6 7 years ago

Welcome. Taxi is a great pin and a good one to start off with. Have fun being broke.

#8 7 years ago

I have to echo some earlier sentiments. You won't be able to stop at one, kinda like when you eat potato chips. I've been threatened with divorce more times than I care to remember, so hopefully if you have a significant other, they are into the hobby as much as you are!

Welcome to the madness.

#9 7 years ago

Welcome!

#10 7 years ago

hi there! this site is a great resource. just a couple words of advice before you buy your first game:

1. don't buy from a retailer. use this site (or craigslist) to find a collector who is selling his game privately. you would think you would get more "professional" service from a retailer, and the idea of some kind of warranty or having a real business behind the sale might seem reassuring, but i think almost everyone here will agree you get a higher-quality game for a better price by getting your game from a private collector who has taken care of their machines. retailers tend to get a game in, give it a superficial cleaning, and spend a little time making sure there are no glaring problems. you end up with a machine that's dirty and unreliable. collectors tend to clean them pretty thoroughly, and usually have the game in their collection long enough that they've worked out most every kink and quirk. also collectors don't necessarily have to make a profit on their sale. not saying you can't get ripped off by a collector -- you can -- but it's almost guaranteed you're not getting a great deal from a retailer.

2. all pinball machines require maintenance periodically. don't get frustrated if you buy a machine and there is something wrong right away. often, a switch will go out of alignment during transport, or a cable might shake loose. and things just break sometimes for no reason. we can usually help with that stuff!

3. go play the pin in person before you buy it. don't try to have your first pin shipped to you.

4. when looking at a pin to buy, the first and easiest thing to look for is to open up the back box and check for battery acid damage. most pins have three double-A batteries located on one of the boards. these are there so the game can remember its settings and high scores even when the game is off. but if they go unchanged for years, then they can leak and damage the game. for your first pin, i would highly recommend avoiding any game with board damage.

corrosion1 (resized).jpgcorrosion1 (resized).jpg

5. next, make sure you understand how the game you're looking at is supposed to work, at least in general. make sure it isn't wildly malfunctioning. check for a credit dot ( https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/credit-dots ) , and if there is one, check the service menus to see what the problem is. usually it's something minor like a switch not working. this isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but you should know up front what the issues are.

6. obviously, condition of the playfield is very important. check for wear spots. if the art is worn down to wood anywhere, that's bad.

7. have fun and start finding room and funds for games two, three, and four!

#11 7 years ago

Welcome!!!

#12 7 years ago

Welcome to a great land full of treasures and wonderful things! This land is a great place to learn and read about pinball machines! But watch out for the evil trolls lurking around! If you see one just ignore it and move on, they can't hurt a fly! And remember pinside is awesome!!!!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-is-awesome

#13 7 years ago

Welcome!

#14 7 years ago

Welcome. Pezpunk gave you some great advice. I would add get connected with other pinheads in your area. Join a league. You will find games there and have a lot of fun.

#15 7 years ago

Welcome to the addiction !!!

#16 7 years ago

Welcome,
    Remember pinside is what you make it. Can't ask for a better place for help and finding parts you may need. Good luck and enjoy.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Capnrock:

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been playing pins for 30+ years off and on. I don't own any but I'm looking to change that. I really like the SS style games. First pin I honestly remember playing the hell out of was taxi. I spent my hard earned mowing money playing it.

Welcome. Open up a mod feedback thread and we will get you verified so you can post wherever you like. Have a good morning.

#18 7 years ago

Awesome! Thanks everyone

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-forum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.