• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180517_203542_resized (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20180517-095002 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

I'm pretty new at fixing ems and I have a skyjump offered to me but I don't know if I can get the missing parts.
It is missing 2 parts in the head. I got a photo of ipdb to show the missing parts.
The first is the complete f relay with wires and Jones plugs are missing. I'm pretty sure this is just for the match feature so probably isn't too important.

The second piece missing is a piece from a unit ( not sure what the unit is called) it is the piece that rotates and makes connections to the brass contacts. The whole unit is there except the piece that rotates. Is this available or game specific and what does it control.

Thanks for any help.

Screenshot_20180517-095002 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180517-095002 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

The match unit is unimportant, but you want to make sure it doesn't control any game functions. Luckily I believe (or rather am certain) in this rare instance that the scrolling lights by the drop targets are controlled by a unit under the playfield. If you don't have one plugged in, the game might go into a score motor loop, but I also doubt that as well as this kind of match unit does not have an end-of-stroke switch.

The bakelite wiper is standard to all Gottlieb wedgehead games except for 1973's Pro Football which usually a special unit with a special wiper. (Actually that probably means ball-launcher games like Big Hit and others also probably used the same or a similar unit) Funny enough though, I actually swapped a Pro Football unit into my OWN Sky Jump and it works fine too. Talk about personal experience.

You should find one fairly easily. If you find an entire unit and just want the wiper contact me to buy the rest of the guts you don't need, please, as I could always use a spare cheap unit in my inventory in commercial arcading.

"pinjunk" on eBay (I think he goes by too-many-pins on here) has a lot of this kind of stuff.

#3 5 years ago

If somebody removed those parts there'll be other things wrong with it. If you're up for the challenge then persistence will eventually pay off.
eventually

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If somebody removed those parts there'll be other things wrong with it. If you're up for the challenge then persistence will eventually pay off.
eventually

Surprisingly everything under the playfeild is there and looks good. Even a modern cord and ground wires.

#5 5 years ago

Search Gottlieb Stepper on Ebay. There is a F style for $50. (Not mine) I don't believe that they are all created equal, so you might have to do some rewiring.
I also have a balls to play unit on there, but I don't think it will work for your purposes, since it was out of an Add-a-ball

ebay.com link: Gottlieb EM pinball machine match bonus unit small relay stepper assembly

I might have the part, but after my last experience of a hour at the post office, a $15 shipping bill etc. to send a ten cent switch, I decided that there were no more free parts going to Canada from me.

If I have the part you require, I could put it up on ebay for a buck or something with international shipping, then you and ebay could figure it out. Even at a buck, I'd lose money, because they charge you fees on shipping as well. Plus f'n paypal. Everybody bends you over.

Anyway, if you have any interest in that, let me know.

#6 5 years ago

Also, look in the bottom/back of the machine. Sometimes these parts fall off and end up there. (the wiper, not the F relay)

#7 5 years ago

I’ve actually reproduced replacement match relays for El Dorado(twice) and Centigrade 37 before. I have a Sky Jump and could provide this service. Figure $100 plus the parts which is usually better starting with a used match relay off of ebay.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I’ve actually reproduced replacement match relays for El Dorado(twice) and Centigrade 37 before. I have a Sky Jump and could provide this service. Figure $100 plus the parts which is usually better starting with a used match relay off of ebay.

I should have the pieces you need, I had to kill off a SkyJump because the harness started falling apart due to rott. Both F relay and the wiper to the ball count unit. Give me the pin count on the jones plug so I pull out the right one, I have 2-3 F relays with harness.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I should have the pieces you need, I had to kill off a SkyJump because the harness started falling apart due to rott. Both F relay and the wiper to the ball count unit. Give me the pin count on the jones plug so I pull out the right one, I have 2-3 F relays with harness.

Can somebody take a look at their SkyJump and see if the 2 jones, 2x6 each matches the F relay, also not the blue orange leads. This should be the one. I have another F relay, same pins but the wire colors are so washed out. (I have a pic of the head of the head I was rebuilding and it seems to be the correct F)

20180517_203542_resized (resized).jpg20180517_203542_resized (resized).jpg

#10 5 years ago

ken here is a tip... when you have a spare match relay (F) put a tag on it so you know the game it is out of. these are ALWAYS game specific . once pulled and thrown in a box you will have a hard time matching it to a game. i have 2 or 3 spares in case i need to rewire one. i was lucky once and need one for a quick draw that i had a spare with the tag quick draw. so it saved me a lot of work.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

ken here is a tip... when you have a spare match relay (F) put a tag on it so you know the game it is out of. these are ALWAYS game specific . once pulled and thrown in a box you will have a hard time matching it to a game. i have 2 or 3 spares in case i need to rewire one. i was lucky once and need one for a quick draw that i had a spare with the tag quick draw. so it saved me a lot of work.

Yes, most every other part is interchangeable on a dozen or so games. F is a different story. I actually have a Target Pool that is soon to be killed off, will heed yer advise.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

I actually have a Target Pool that is soon to be killed off.

Noooooooo!

#13 5 years ago

Trashed pf, shot bg, mouse nest inside, 3 strike yer out!

#14 5 years ago

I just parted a Subway. I've discovered a few things during my various rodeos.
1. I always wish (after the fact) that I knew which game it came from.
2. I am very lazy with regards to record keeping and lebeling
3. If you don't bag the parts, they often end up screwed up.

Solutions:
1. Buy sandwich bags, freezer bags and very large storage bags. Everything gets bagged.
https://www.amazon.com/Hefty-Slider-Gallon-Jumbo-Storage/dp/B00FDM8FSO/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_201_tr_t_2
2. Print up a sheet of about 30 labels that say (in this case) Subway.
3. Cut up the sheet of paper and drop one or two into each bag as I put the part or parts into.
4. Someday sort through and figure out what is what. I have a flipper bin, and two smaller rat trap bins and a pop bumper bin. I need playfield and cabinet bins yet. Maybe a backbox bin.

#15 5 years ago

I have one you can save from the same fate. No backglass and a lot of rust. I'll take $300 for it and you can come get it in Michigan.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I have one you can save from the same fate. No backglass and a lot of rust. I'll take $300 for it and you can come get it in Michigan.

Two years ago I might have taken you up on that offer (well, if it had a glass). My 9-hour pin pickup days are behind me. Today it's either good condition cheap local pickups (it doesn't happen all that much but it happens!) or sleeping in and letting somebody else deal with that. Space is precious these days, and so is sleep lol. Even stopped looking for games and just let whatever finds me find me.

Target Pool is such a fun game though so I hope somebody saves your example.

#17 5 years ago

I'm also looking for the center plastic above the drop targets but I have a feeling I will need to buy a whole new set to get it.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I'm also looking for the center plastic above the drop targets but I have a feeling I will need to buy a whole new set to get it.

I think most Sky Jump owners are. Mine's busted. Somebody should reproduce just that plastic. Probably won't though as I bet it is a good way for them to sell full sets.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Here is where you will end up, if you didn't already know where to get them. I have a set and they are nice.

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Sky_Jump.html

#20 5 years ago

Huge thanks to pinhead52 have a wiper and f relay on the way to me!
All I need now is the center plastic.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Yes, most every other part is interchangeable on a dozen or so games. F is a different story. I actually have a Target Pool that is soon to be killed off, will heed yer advise.

Could use the lockdown bar on that machine. I believe it's the same one used on Sing Along. By the way, thanks for the Volley lockdown bar.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

The bakelite wiper is standard to all Gottlieb wedgehead games except for 1973's Pro Football which usually a special unit with a special wiper. (Actually that probably means ball-launcher games like Big Hit and others also probably used the same or a similar unit) Funny enough though, I actually swapped a Pro Football unit into my OWN Sky Jump and it works fine too.

This made me wonder so I did a little digging through parts catalogs to clarify. It turns out that it isn't far off.

The Ball Count unit wiper on Sky Jump is a B-9998 which was used on many games as far back as '67 King of Diamonds. There are however several other wipers used on Add A Ball and Italian export games. Before 1968 there were Ball Count units, Balls To Play units and Balls Played units which all used different wipers. Starting in 1968 though it looks like most (maybe all?) single player games that weren't Add A Ball or Italian export models used the B-9998 Ball Count unit wiper (including '73 Pro Football BTW).

/Mark

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I just parted a Subway. I've discovered a few things during my various rodeos.
1. I always wish (after the fact) that I knew which game it came from.
2. I am very lazy with regards to record keeping and lebeling
3. If you don't bag the parts, they often end up screwed up.
Solutions:
1. Buy sandwich bags, freezer bags and very large storage bags. Everything gets bagged.
amazon.com link »
2. Print up a sheet of about 30 labels that say (in this case) Subway.
3. Cut up the sheet of paper and drop one or two into each bag as I put the part or parts into.
4. Someday sort through and figure out what is what. I have a flipper bin, and two smaller rat trap bins and a pop bumper bin. I need playfield and cabinet bins yet. Maybe a backbox bin.

Damn! Wish you hadn't parted that "Subway". I'd have bought it if I were closer.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Damn! Wish you hadn't parted that "Subway". I'd have bought it if I were closer.

I wish you were closer and would have bought it when I advertised it.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

I wish you were closer and would have bought it when I advertised it.

I wish it hadn’t gotten water damaged to begin with

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I wish it hadn’t gotten water damaged to begin with

You and me both. The PF was more or less gone and rippled to boot. Advertised for one for over a year.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-ems-need-help-with-missing-skyjump-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.