IMG_0298 (resized).JPG
IMG_0295 (resized).JPG
sqhd (resized).JPG
IMG_0293 (resized).JPG
IMG_0279 (resized).JPG
IMG_0294 (resized).JPG
IMG_0289 (resized).JPG
20840847_10214440404551039_1348857522400190321_n (resized).jpg
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

I have a 63 Gottleib Square Head that after lifting the playfield will not detract a ball when one is lost. I see the roll over but nothing happens when i simulate a rollover. Nothing looks janked or anything. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Couldn't get my pics to load.

#3 6 years ago

check circled switch, this does the decrement of the ball unit in head

20840847_10214440404551039_1348857522400190321_n (resized).jpg20840847_10214440404551039_1348857522400190321_n (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

That's the one I have been working with. It won't activate at all.

#5 6 years ago

Do you have a schematic diagram? You say you're new to EM repair, but what's your general level of repair and troubleshooting ability? The circuit for decrementing the ball count unit should be fairly easy to trace out with a schematic. Pinball Resource (pbresource.com) would likely have one for your game if you don't have one.
You say this happened after lifting the playfield, or do you mean it only does this only when the playfield is lifted?
A start would be to pull and reseat all the Jones plug connectors going to the motor board from the playfield, and the ones going to the light box (head). Do this with the game unplugged from the power source.

#6 6 years ago

It's like this all of the time now. I don't have a schmematic but will pony up for one if I can't figure this out. In general I suck at repairing anything but I have gotten fairly decent at fixing arcades, this is a different beast for sure.

Going to look for the Jones connectors now.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Tacosid:

It's like this all of the time now. I don't have a schmematic but will pony up for one if I can't figure this out. In general I suck at repairing anything but I have gotten fairly decent at fixing arcades, this is a different beast for sure.
Going to look for the Jones connectors now.

There are jones plugs for the pf into the bottom relay board and then pf into the head... probably pf to head.

#8 6 years ago

I assume these? They seem pretty wedged in there. What's the best way to reseat?

IMG_0289 (resized).JPGIMG_0289 (resized).JPG

#9 6 years ago

Use two hands and wiggle them loose grasping the connector on each end.

#10 6 years ago

Should I just reseat the one with the matching wire or are there others involved?

#11 6 years ago

If you have traced the wire to a single point thats the one to reseat. The others will be operating other components. In this case its likely your headed to a switch stack and stepper in the head and if you want to confirm a good connection thats the one.

Careful using continuity in an EM. Its often easier and always more reliable to jumper the suspected fault with a wire and a couple alligator clips. Just do it with game off and be sure your right or have spare fuses laying around... be prepared to power off or pull jumper if you lock something on like a coil etc...

#12 6 years ago

If this is a new to you game its probably equally or more likely that your stepper unit is frozen. Do you hear any buzzing or mechanical/electrical sound when you close the switch? Did you confirm wires are not broken/loose on the switch? Start simple and mechanical with an EM thats new to you and has not been restored/gone through. Then when you have confirmed things that should move can move and confirmed wires exist and have solid connections- trace circuitry.

If its been working a while (10 games whatever) and then became intermittent and finally stopped I would think mechanical or poorly gapped switch.

#13 6 years ago

It stopped suddenly after having raised the playfield. No buzzing when I close the switch and while there is power to the 2nd rollover none registers on a meter when I close it.

There only seem to be two wires headed off and i resoldered those.

#14 6 years ago

Try cleaning the switch contacts. Cut up a non-glossy business card,
put a small amount of alcohol on it and slide it through the contacts
while applying light pressure. If you see black streaks on the paper
the contacts were dirty. Repeat till clean.
Steve

#15 6 years ago

Traced the wire to here. It's red with white checkers. Are you guys sure this comes out? Doesn't seem to want to.

IMG_0294 (resized).JPGIMG_0294 (resized).JPG

#16 6 years ago

Yes, it does pull out. As I said, slowly wiggle it off with firm and steady pressure. They can break, so be careful.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from zarco:

Try cleaning the switch contacts. Cut up a non-glossy business card,
put a small amount of alcohol on it and slide it through the contacts
while applying light pressure. If you see black streaks on the paper
the contacts were dirty. Repeat till clean.
Steve

Business cards generally don't clean EM contacts well. The better solution is a flexstone or a wire brush on a Dremel tool.

#18 6 years ago

if the plug isn't the problem and the contacts are clean what next?

My tech skills are at best a 4 out of 10.

#19 6 years ago

Also... about the contacts... it was working fine and then abruptly stopped. Then I have wiggled the connection and have gotten nothing. Does that seem like it could still be the contacts?

Idiot here. Feel free to talk down to me.

#20 6 years ago

Not t throw a wet towel on the contact idea... but I think they said it suddenly stopped working after having raised the playfield and then also maybe that they fixed a few broken wires?? If thats the case- its a near certainty that you have another connection broken somewhere.

Did you make a mistake opening the game and rip a few connections out? Or were there loose or broken wires you fixed. Did you get them backwards?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Tacosid:

There only seem to be two wires headed off and i resoldered those.

What do you mean by above

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Tacosid:

... what next?
My tech skills are at best a 4 out of 10.

No matter your skill level, get a schematic.

#23 6 years ago

did you manually try to advance and decrement the ball unit? Moves freely? If yes then I'd pull out a jumper, find a red-white lead (24v supply) and jumper that to the lug of the coil on the ball unit to ensure it will move with juice applied. then find the coil lead at the jones plug, still decrement?

#24 6 years ago

The wire that broke was in the coin door to coin up the machine. Before i discovered that I lifted the playfield. When I lowered that I discovered the new issue.

I think the contacts are a long shot and I plan to buy a schematic asap.

As for what I meant by the two wires... there are two that lead from the switch. Their contacts are soldered so I melted those to make sure that I didn't have a sold joint.

#25 6 years ago

Mayne a good pic of your switch (like pinhead52 posted, but a little closer) would also be good for people to see... Just to see that the wires are on correctly/switch contacts are correct/not shorted to bracket or something odd like that.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Mayne a good pic of your switch (like pinhead52 posted, but a little closer) would also be good for people to see... Just to see that the wires are on correctly/switch contacts are correct/not shorted to bracket or something odd like that.

That was his pic, he a posted it to facebook...

#27 6 years ago

The manual ball advance in the head works fine.

I have never run a jumper. Do you guys have a video of choice that makes it doable for dummies?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all of the help.

#28 6 years ago

do you have alligator clip jumpers? invaluable for finding the open in a long chain of switches. You'll see there is a red-white lead on 1 side of the switch. Can you put a volt meter on that and then the black lead on the close by ball gate coil? Got 24v? Alternatively alligator jump (think of car boaster cables) from this red white lead to the non black lead of the ball gate, does it open? If it does then jumper to the other side of the contact to see if it decrements the ball unit. If not probably jones plug... but yes you need the diaqgram

sqhd (resized).JPGsqhd (resized).JPG

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

That was his pic, he a posted it to facebook...

Sorry bout that. Missed that point.

If I'm reading right - it worked, then playfield was lifted/put back and didn't....keep thinking gap got bent too far open, bent and shorted to something, broken wire, etc...

#30 6 years ago

I will get some alligator clips tomorrow. Where do you recommend I get them?

As of now there was no 24v to the switch but as I get it you are saying to connect the red wire lead from the dead switch to the non black on the next roll over switch right? I assume that powers the switch and would establish it works so then I have to follow it up the chain.

Up the chain would be to that jones plug I felt like I was going to break tonight.

So if the switch works, and the reseated plug doesn't do it then I need the schematic.

Right?

IMG_0279 (resized).JPGIMG_0279 (resized).JPG

IMG_0293 (resized).JPGIMG_0293 (resized).JPG

#31 6 years ago

Im feeling slow tonite or something....

Is it me or is thay switch bent so that it is always shorted closed??

The extra blade between the two looks like it comes from outer blade and is bent up against inner blade making switch ALWAYS closed. No?

I could be seeing it wrong

#32 6 years ago

What I am seeing, for example...in first pic at top of thread, the switch to the right has that little blade bracket bent to only touch outer leaf.... on the switch in question, it looks bent hard against other blade.

Hope that makes sense

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Tacosid:

I will get some alligator clips tomorrow. Where do you recommend I get them?
As of now there was no 24v to the switch but as I get it you are saying to connect the red wire lead from the dead switch to the non black on the next roll over switch right? I assume that powers the switch and would establish it works so then I have to follow it up the chain.
Up the chain would be to that jones plug I felt like I was going to break tonight.
So if the switch works, and the reseated plug doesn't do it then I need the schematic.
Right?

For the switch to work you need 24v at the red-white lead. The volt meter from this lead to a black common would tell you whether you have the voltage there...If there is no voltage there then you need to back trace the red-white

The switch looks fine, the inner leaf is a separator. you can pull down on the rollover wire and see whether the contact closes. Or just press on the contact to momentarily close it.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

The switch looks fine, the inner leaf is a separator. you can pull down on the rollover wire and see whether the contact closes. Or just press on the contact to momentarily close it.

The inner leaf is an insulating material? I was thinking it was metal like some other ones are. If it is paper etc, obviously it is fine; if it is metal, would look shorted to me.

#35 6 years ago

it is metal... cant/shouldnt short the contact together.... you getting a buzz from the ball unit? did you burn out 1 of the coils? there's your mangled contact

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

it is metal... cant/shouldnt short the contact together.... you getting a buzz from the ball unit? did you burn out 1 of the coils? there's your mangled contact

To me, it looked like outer blade and middle got smashed in, but only outer got bent back out. Notice how bent out in the middle the outer one looks.

If that is prob, If it shorted on all the time, I wonder if it burned up a coil or blew a fuse.

Or would it just never register correctly if it doesnt go from open then to close?

#37 6 years ago

When I opened it the three were presses pretty flat. I did adjust the top one but not the middle. So I should try to make it look like the other rollover then? I can do that easy enough tomorrow.

If I blew a fuse wouldn't other things be affected?

Where is the coil I could have burned up and what do I do if that is the case?

I won't be home until the morning but this idea has potential. I didn't notice that there were two medal strips still pressed together.

Here's to hoping!

#38 6 years ago

I would make it look more like switch to right of it, yes. See how other one has that middle blade bent kind of like upside down V? It comes out then bends back against outer leaf for extra strength/spring. It touches outer blade right by soldered wires (the stack of little insulator pieces etc that have the 2 screws)...so, if that is bent in and touching other leaf, yes it would be as if switch is always closed.

I would make sure those 2 little screws are snug too...they can get loose. Then adjust each leafe section and clean contacts as needed.

Pinhead52 can maybe offer some more insite off hand as to which coil/fuse could be affected.

Best wishes in the repair and let us know!

#39 6 years ago

Win or lose I will post in the morning.

Thanks again everyone.

#40 6 years ago

For sure check the switch- you should be able to confirm no conductivity across switch when open pretty easily, and then confirm conductivity when closed- you'll get this- its a good place to start pinball troubleshooting- its right out in the open!

The Jones plug is probably corroded/stuck. You can in fact break them pulling them apart if your not careful. I would leave that dog sleeping for the moment, you may have to spray it with something like a screw release/penetrating oil. You can do this, but be careful and use it sparingly so as to not gunk up anything else and then clean it really well when you do get it apart. I tend to use a metal polish on these as some half assed attempt to provide at least a small barrier to oxidation. It may be that you do have a problem there, but follow through on the switch and jumpering first- then when you know where it problem is you can fix it.

I can tell you, I have- on more than one occasion, looked at a switch I identified in a schematic as being likely an issue- swore I had it right and 30-90 minutes later after trying 5 other things came back to the switch and figured out it was wrong- take your time and do NOT move on from a component you think is likely the problem until you understand how its supposed to work and have confirmed it to work.

#41 6 years ago

The Jones plug was soldered, not a round pin. I broke the solder trying to get it out, took the plug out and soldered it back in.

I made the two roll overs as identical as possible but still no power. What could I have burned up?

IMG_0295 (resized).JPGIMG_0295 (resized).JPG

#42 6 years ago

also, when using jumpers how do i figure out where the next spot that could be trouble is?

#43 6 years ago

get the diagram...

#44 6 years ago

In the process of ordering one from pbresource

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Tacosid:

The Jones plug was soldered, not a round pin. I broke the solder trying to get it out, took the plug out and soldered it back in.
I made the two roll overs as identical as possible but still no power. What could I have burned up?

Don't tear into too many different things at once and stir more problems.

Lets start with this:

- Was the switch indeed shorted?
- Is it definitely not shorted now?

...maybe a new clear pic of what switch looks like now. Especially that center tab and the contact points.

#46 6 years ago

Still getting now power no matter how I adjust the switch. Picture incoming.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Tacosid:

Still getting now power no matter how I adjust the switch. Picture incoming.

I'll wait and see pic, but point is NOT wether machine works or has power...it is about fixing things one step at a time (versus shot gunning it and jumping all over).

So, lets get that switch adjusted, cleaned, and verified that it is in fact opening and closing properly; then we move on to next thing.

Could you tell that the center blade was in fact bent into other blade (we will call it left blade when looking at original pic)??

#48 6 years ago

Bad switch. Good switchh

IMG_0298 (resized).JPGIMG_0298 (resized).JPG

IMG_0299 (resized).JPGIMG_0299 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

The focus on the "bad switch" is not on the blades but the screws under it...I honestlt can't tell wether it is shorted or not....too blurry for eyes, sorry.

See how center blade on good switch switch bends back to the right and only touches the right blade? Does bad switchs center blade ONLY touch right blade (I can not tell gap size between center blade and left blade. Sorry)??

Edit : When I said focus, I meant your camera is not focused closely on the blade/contact

#50 6 years ago

To my best ability I have tried to make the blade only touch the one on the right. As for the screws, what would make them shorted? I haven't looked in that direction at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-em-repair/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.