(Topic ID: 58096)

New to EM: '77 Gottlieb Mustang Stepper Keeps Spinning?

By dmklunk

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dmklunk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wmsreel1c.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi,
I have been working with solid state machines for a few years now but I have never even opened up an EM machine before. I have a friend who has a Gottlieb Mustang and, when you turn it on, the stepper (i think that's what that motor in the cabinet is called! ) keeps spinning. You can't play or start a game or do anything -- it lights up but nothing happens. I'd love to get it fixed for him but I have literally no idea what I'm doing with EM machines. Anyone able to help a solid state kind of guy get a little bit of background on these EM machines?

As always, thanks for all the help!

Derek

#2 10 years ago

Derek,
you are most likely referring to the score motor.
Take a look at pinrepair.com EM guides. This is the bible of EM repair.

After you go thru that post your questions and we will be able to help
--Jeff

#3 10 years ago

Here is a 1977 Gottlieb Mustang manual. This may be helpful when debugging a startup sequence.

http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0449.html

way2wyrd is right on the pinrepair just read it and slowly digest it.

#4 10 years ago

I think it is the score motor that I am having issues with. The "tens" reel on the Player One score display seems to be locked on "7" (in other words, the Player One display says "00070". The Player Two display reads "00000" as I believe it should. Any chance that one reel may be jammed, which would cause the score motor to keep trying to spin? I think that previously the reels had been sticking so maybe it got jammed?

#5 10 years ago

very possible. does the score reset relay keep firing during this problem also?.
Try manually actuating the reel that is stuck on 7 until it is at 0.
Then start er up and see what happens.

Ive seen machines stuck in reset sequence that need to be tricked into working.

--Jeff

#6 10 years ago

I hate messing with those score reels.. That is what was making my score motor on my Williams Space Odyssey run. If all score reels aren't in the zero position then the score motor will run forever. I had to look at a score reel that would reset to zero and adjust all the switches on the bad reel to match the good. I hope your coil isn't burned up and locked on.

#7 10 years ago

How do I manually actuate the reel? (I understand what you're telling me to do, but it doesn't seem to want to just push and I don't want to break it because it isn't my machine!

#8 10 years ago

reached to the front of the coil and actuate the plunger by hand... Red arrow

wmsreel1c.jpgwmsreel1c.jpg

PS, these are Williams but I'm sure Gottlieb are close to the same

#9 10 years ago

Derek,

Which Hanover are you in? The one near Amish land or the one next to Wilkes-Barre?

If its Wilkes-Barre then I have a buddy in Duryea that can probably help you out.

He's great with Gottlieb and he can probably get you straightened out quick.

All of the score reels need to be at zero and the correct switches must be in the correct configuration to get the machine to complete its reset cycle.

Bert

#10 10 years ago

I actually did get this fixed last night! Sorry for not replying sooner.
To be honest, I'm not sure what I did. I opened up the backbox area so that I could see the front of the reels and felt around for any obstructions. I didn't feel anything abnormal, but I turned the machine on and it returned the reel to 0 and then worked! So I put everything back together and it worked flawlessly for the rest of the night! So thanks for the help!

Quoted from fflint_18:

Derek,
Which Hanover are you in? The one near Amish land or the one next to Wilkes-Barre?
If its Wilkes-Barre then I have a buddy in Duryea that can probably help you out.
He's great with Gottlieb and he can probably get you straightened out quick.
All of the score reels need to be at zero and the correct switches must be in the correct configuration to get the machine to complete its reset cycle.
Bert

I am in the one near Amish land. I didn't know there was one up near Wilkes-Barre! Wilkes-Barre is about 2 & 1/2 hours away from me. Thanks for trying though!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-em-77-gottlieb-mustang-stepper-keeps-spinning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.