(Topic ID: 198234)

New to collecting...please help us pick our first pin!

By dogguyscott

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best choice for our first pin”

• Attack From Mars Remake LE - NIB 29 votes
    23%
  • Medieval Madness Remake Standard w/ all upgrades - NIB 15 votes
    12%
  • Medieval Madness Remake LE - Used 21 votes
    16%
  • Ghostbusters Premium - NIB 4 votes
    3%
  • Ghostbusters LE - NIB 0 votes
  • The Walking Dead Premium - NIB 14 votes
    11%
  • Hobbit LE - NIB 6 votes
    5%
  • Hobbit Black Arrow - NIB 0 votes
  • Wizard of Oz 75th Anniv. Edition - NIB 39 votes
    30%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz (resized).jpg
IMG_1325 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 6 years ago

Newbies = tables tables tables tables.

Any of your choices are good aside from Ghostbusters. Literally the worst game ever made if all time in the history of all games in the universe.

Consider some 90's classics. The games are the 90's are far superior to any of the current NIB titles. Lots more interesting geometry, better toys and features, better engineering, better code, better quality, better everything.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

Rarehero...
I like the guy who doesn't pull ANY punches...tell us how you REALLY feel!

Any time brotha!

As for your plug n play comment - keep in mind NIB doesn't mean 100%. You might actually be better off with a used game from a knowledgeable collector who has fixed the game themselves and dialed it in for optimal play. NIB games often need lots of work out of the box....and even if they don't - it's pinball, something will break. So, whether you buy new or used, it's a good idea to get a sense of how things work and how to fix things once you become a pinball owner.

If you're gonna go NIB, I feel like you're better off with a JJP or CGC game as their QC is much tighter.

For the record I used to be a huge Stern supporter and still own 7 Stern games...while Stern always had some QC issues, they've taken a serious turn for the worse in many ways - playfield quality, built quality, incomplete/buggy code. That's why I recommend your other choices vs. GB. AFM and MM are baked in the cake classics. You know what you're getting and know their gameplay held up for 20 years. Hobbit is divisive - but I love it. It's the best overall package of the "modern" games....it's a lengthy quest game tho - some don't like that. Still needs a few bugs and things ironed out in the code. WOZ is divisive, too - but it's another solid deep quest type of game.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

in my OP, to me it seems like just a bunch of straight-line shots. If I'm being ignorant, don't hold back, let me know what (for you) the fuss is about on this one...not afraid to get on that AFMr LE wagon if it's a good call.

A game is more than it's physical design. AFM may look simple, but it's the combination of speed, smooth flow, rules and choreography, and humor that tie it all together. For a pin to be great, the design and rules must become one and work together. A cool design can be ruined by crap rules. A blah design can be made great with excellent rules.

Or, there's GB - horrible design made even worse with repetitive rules that do not work at all on such a cheap drain-monster game.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

We know you don't like GB, thank you for letting us know over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....again

If I can save one newb from suffering, it's all worth it.

Put me on ignore if you don't like it. I'll
never stop until the sycophants come to their senses. NEVER!!!!!

Also, never forget: A child predator made GB. Want to shame someone regarding GB? I'm the wrong target.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I would like to meet you in person someday. Curious to see what kind of person you are when you aren't behind a keyboard. Might be interesting.

*Cornholio voice* ARE YOU THREATENING ME!?!?

You're acting like I insulted your family or something. I don't like *a* game and you pull the whole "wait till we meet in person, tough guy!" act lol

I'm absolutely "normal" and boring. Tons of people here know me in person and can vouch. Listen to my interview on K's podcast if you're interested. Ep #108.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Wait, wait. Hold on just one second. Rarehero doesn't like GB? This is news to me. I find this turn of events shocking.

Come into my office young man, and let me spin you a yarn....

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Rarehero you need to come to my house and try mine. You are probably only 45 miles and 6 hours from me. LOL

Nah, I gave the game too many chances. I never want to touch one again. I've played like 20 Pros and 5 or 6 Prem/LEs...including one that was "dialed in" and I was told I would now enjoy it. Nah. No amount of tweaks fixes makes it fun. It will forever have horrible geometry, useless toys, cheap drains, linear mode ladders, lack of personality and overall lack of understanding of what makes the theme cool.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

Hey, also, a quick question for anyone...
What do you all think about the JJP playfield protectors? I like the notion of protecting the playfield but can imagine the impact on ball movement being maybe not so awesome. Soooo, do you guys go for these things? Thanks!

Playfield protectors suck. A new game in home use has no need for one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

15,699 (OBO)
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-collectingplease-help-us-pick-our-first-pin?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.