(Topic ID: 198234)

New to collecting...please help us pick our first pin!

By dogguyscott

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best choice for our first pin”

• Attack From Mars Remake LE - NIB 29 votes
    23%
  • Medieval Madness Remake Standard w/ all upgrades - NIB 15 votes
    12%
  • Medieval Madness Remake LE - Used 21 votes
    16%
  • Ghostbusters Premium - NIB 4 votes
    3%
  • Ghostbusters LE - NIB 0 votes
  • The Walking Dead Premium - NIB 14 votes
    11%
  • Hobbit LE - NIB 6 votes
    5%
  • Hobbit Black Arrow - NIB 0 votes
  • Wizard of Oz 75th Anniv. Edition - NIB 39 votes
    30%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz (resized).jpg
IMG_1325 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 6 years ago

Do you have children that are going to play them also?

#27 6 years ago

After going to MGC twice and playing tons of pins on location we've narrowed it down to our favorites. For us its MET, ST, WOZ and now we're getting an NBA Fastbreak because the kids like it so much. I would suggest WOZ, we ended up selling ours eventually but loved owning it. If I could afford it I'd get one again.

#28 6 years ago

You know you want it... buy it!

woz (resized).jpgwoz (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago

A little extra advice. A lot of pinsiders don't realize not everyone wants to fix/repair/tinker with older pins. If you don't have time and don't want to get into that side of the hobby then stick with a newer Stern. I've never had to do much of anything with any of the new pins I've bought. Pretty much plug and play, then have fun!

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I wouldn't listen to the folks that say the 90s stuff is far superior to anything new. It's their preference but not a fact. I know myself, I prefer newer pins (and I've owned several 90's pins TZ, IJ, CFTBL, STTNG, T2, TOTAN) and to me they not any better than the new stuff (Met, TWD, WoZ, Tspp, LotR).
From your list I'd suggest TWD (pro or premium some people (like me) prefer the pro) but it can be very unforgiving or WoZ (which is the next pin I am getting).
Consider Spiderman, Tron, IM, Metallica pro as well.

This ^

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

I'm so grateful I stumbled on this site. Everyone has been so constructive and thoughtful, too rare a thing in online forums.
So here's the update, bullet style...
** Put some time in on a WOZ machine last night......LOVED IT!! It's haaaarrrd, but I could play that thing forever.
** This crowd has made me more comfortable with the notion of buying something used.
** Given the above point, it takes the time urgency off getting many of the various machines NIB
And the final answer is...
** Putting a deposit down this week for a WOZ 75th Anniversary, assuming we'll have to wait some time for the next build
** While waiting for the WOZ, going to check out a good restored example of LOTR, White Water, maybe Champion Pub (yeah, I know, we're suckers for the campy novelty of it). I know all 3 machines and am confident they'll be long-term keepers for us.
** We'll have time to save for the WOZ when it's ready for shipping, and have a great start on our collection.
I've already left a message for the folks at Jersey Jack...very excited. Once I've clarified everything on that end, I'll start the search for the used machine.
Thanks again, everyone! I'm glad to be part of this wonderful community and super excited to begin collecting and playing more often...it's great decompression time for me and my wife.
I'll post updates and any questions to this thread as we go along.

Are you buying a used woz or new? A little confused by your wording. Woz is the only pin I recommend buying new, it holds its value well and you'd get the updated boards.

#79 6 years ago

Wouldn't bother with a playfield protector...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pcprogrammer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-collectingplease-help-us-pick-our-first-pin?tu=pcprogrammer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.