(Topic ID: 198234)

New to collecting...please help us pick our first pin!

By dogguyscott

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Best choice for our first pin”

• Attack From Mars Remake LE - NIB 29 votes
    23%
  • Medieval Madness Remake Standard w/ all upgrades - NIB 15 votes
    12%
  • Medieval Madness Remake LE - Used 21 votes
    16%
  • Ghostbusters Premium - NIB 4 votes
    3%
  • Ghostbusters LE - NIB 0 votes
  • The Walking Dead Premium - NIB 14 votes
    11%
  • Hobbit LE - NIB 6 votes
    5%
  • Hobbit Black Arrow - NIB 0 votes
  • Wizard of Oz 75th Anniv. Edition - NIB 39 votes
    30%

(128 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

woz (resized).jpg
IMG_1325 (resized).JPG
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

No game will check all the boxes. LW3 is considered a dog and my cheapest game, but I love how the ball travels down the spiral habitrail and shooting the gun. Not deep or anything, but I really love it. Variety is good some games can be long or short and brutal. It is hard to find all in one game. I also love my GB as much as my WOZ or F-14.

#52 6 years ago

Wait, wait. Hold on just one second. Rarehero doesn't like GB? This is news to me. I find this turn of events shocking.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

Wait, wait. Hold on just one second. Rarehero doesn't like GB? This is news to me. I find this turn of events shocking.

Come into my office young man, and let me spin you a yarn....

#54 6 years ago

Go to some local arcades or shows and play a bunch of machines. All the review and opinions don't matter until you figure out what you like by playing the machine.

#55 6 years ago

Rarehero you need to come to my house and try mine. You are probably only 45 miles and 6 hours from me. LOL

#56 6 years ago

I wouldn't listen to the folks that say the 90s stuff is far superior to anything new, that may be their preference but not a fact.

I prefer newer pins (and I've owned several 90's pins TZ, IJ, CFTBL, STTNG, T2, TOTAN) and IMO they not any better than the new stuff (Met, TWD, WoZ, Tspp, LotR). I'm not saying the 90s stuff is bad but just that my preference is for the newer games.

From your list I'd suggest TWD pro or premium some people (like me) prefer the pro, but it can be very unforgiving or for something much different WoZ (which is the next pin I am getting).

Consider Spiderman, Tron, IM, Metallica pro, Tspp as well.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I wouldn't listen to the folks that say the 90s stuff is far superior to anything new. It's their preference but not a fact. I know myself, I prefer newer pins (and I've owned several 90's pins TZ, IJ, CFTBL, STTNG, T2, TOTAN) and to me they not any better than the new stuff (Met, TWD, WoZ, Tspp, LotR).
From your list I'd suggest TWD (pro or premium some people (like me) prefer the pro) but it can be very unforgiving or WoZ (which is the next pin I am getting).
Consider Spiderman, Tron, IM, Metallica pro as well.

This ^

#58 6 years ago

I too agree that Dialed In should be on your radar and added to the list.
Plays 10X better than WoZ. Head and shoulders above JJPs previous efforts.
I would do Medieval over AFM, personally.
Good luck with your choice.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I think one of my personal takeaways is that no matter how deep the game is, you're still going to memorize the rules to the point where they feel shallow.

Only if you beat it. I know the rules of AFM in and out but I never get sick of it because I don't hit every shot every time.

I'd suggested Dialed In as well but of that list AFMr is probably the best bang for the buck.

#60 6 years ago

I was greatly debating AFM LE but ended up with WoZ RR and will get TNA instead. I am sure I'd love AFM also, but I do have a lot of similar layout games so I wanted something a lot different.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Rarehero you need to come to my house and try mine. You are probably only 45 miles and 6 hours from me. LOL

Nah, I gave the game too many chances. I never want to touch one again. I've played like 20 Pros and 5 or 6 Prem/LEs...including one that was "dialed in" and I was told I would now enjoy it. Nah. No amount of tweaks fixes makes it fun. It will forever have horrible geometry, useless toys, cheap drains, linear mode ladders, lack of personality and overall lack of understanding of what makes the theme cool.

#62 6 years ago

Ok. Sounds like you have given it a fair chance then. Offer still stands if you are ever this way.

#63 6 years ago

This is easy - AFM or in your case AFMLE. You'll love it. Your wife will love it (BIG plus here...). Everyone who comes over will l ove it/want to at least try it.

You cannot go wrong with it. It is in the top 5 for a reason, and now that everyone can own one, there's no better time to purchase one.

#64 6 years ago

Of those, I'd go with either MMr or GB Premium. That being said, based on your criteria, I wouldn't go with those choices as my first pin. That's just me, though.

Without me having to go read through this entire thread stem-to-stern, could you possibly rank the importance (to you) of your criteria? That might help.

#65 6 years ago

Sounds like we have similar tastes. I feel the same as you about AFM shots, even though it's definitely a great game. You put words to the way I often feel when playing it. Having said that and the fact that your vote list was similar to my wishlist here is my take on your future...

1st - MMR LE (or standard... not too different)
2nd - not on your list, but LOTR. Someone else mentioned it and the way you like shots, as long as you like the theme, you'll LOVE this pin.
3rd - TWD Pro or Premium. These can be polarizing because of BG ramp and walker bombs, but you gotta play both and see if you like smooth shots or upgraded rules with walker bombs. Also, TWD is probably my favorite game the last few months (changes of course) but probably not a great pin for first acquisition due to some brutal gameplay until you get the hang of a lot of nudging and such. 1st and 2nd on the list are great to learn on, but deep enough to never leave the collection imho.

Good luck in your journey and welcome...

#66 6 years ago

I'd go with the AFMr.

The quality of the sound and the increase in size of the display really is worth it. And if you going to place the game where you have enough "head room", the topper really is "fun". Doesn't do a thing to make the game play better but truly is amusing.

For somebody that is just starting to maybe build a collection, widebody games IMO are not the way to go. Just my opinion but the larger games play "slower" than a standard width game. If the next run of MMrs were to include the larger display and the upgraded sound system, I'd lean that way because the truth is, MMr speakers leave a lot to be desired.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Only if you beat it. I know the rules of AFM in and out but I never get sick of it because I don't hit every shot every time.

Good point, and I agree 100%, but that's kinda what I was saying, more or less.

I agree with you about AFM. It's kind of an open ended "choose your own adventure" book. The game just dumps you in, and you get to choose the order of any particular goal you want to achieve at any given time. There's no hand holding, or "shoot this shot to start the mode. Play the mode. Re-light the shot to start another mode." Whenever you complete an objective, you can decide what to do next. Those types of games are fantastic. I think BSD, WW, MM, and CftBL are fine examples of that kind of game.

On the other hand, you have the more rigid types of games. Like TOTAN and TOM. They're more like shoot this shot. Play the preselected mode. Relight the shot. Play the next mode. You win. It's like an on-rails shooter arcade game, and the game just guides you through.

#68 6 years ago

Try before you buy. No need to rush an try not to overpay so if it doesn't work out you should be able to sell it for around what you paid for it, with out a loss. Good luck with your search.

#69 6 years ago

I'm so grateful I stumbled on this site. Everyone has been so constructive and thoughtful, too rare a thing in online forums.

So here's the update, bullet style...

** Put some time in on a WOZ machine last night......LOVED IT!! It's haaaarrrd, but I could play that thing forever.
** This crowd has made me more comfortable with the notion of buying something used.
** Given the above point, it takes the time urgency off getting many of the various machines NIB

And the final answer is...

** Putting a deposit down this week for a WOZ 75th Anniversary, assuming we'll have to wait some time for the next build
** While waiting for the WOZ, going to check out a good restored example of LOTR, White Water, maybe Champion Pub (yeah, I know, we're suckers for the campy novelty of it). I know all 3 machines and am confident they'll be long-term keepers for us.
** We'll have time to save for the WOZ when it's ready for shipping, and have a great start on our collection.

I've already left a message for the folks at Jersey Jack...very excited. Once I've clarified everything on that end, I'll start the search for the used machine.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm glad to be part of this wonderful community and super excited to begin collecting and playing more often...it's great decompression time for me and my wife.

I'll post updates and any questions to this thread as we go along.

#70 6 years ago

My advice? Don't pay any attention to what anybody here says. Play as many pinball machines in person that you can that seem to appeal to you for whatever reason, and buy the one you keep coming back to when you want to play. Many people will tell you what a great game Twilight Zone is, but for me, I HATE it. Don't know why - I loved the show, the ride at WDW - just don't like the game. I'm ready to walk away after the second ball. Buy what YOU enjoy playing. Buy it used from a reputable dealer who will deliver it, set it up, and service it after the sale at a somewhat reasonable price. Use the money you saved buying used to start looking for another game.

Pinballs are a little something like what they say about wives - you don't marry the girl you think you can live with. You marry the girl that you know you absolutely can not live without! If you haven't found that yet with a pinball and you are looking at spending $4000, $5000, $6000 or more, keep looking!

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

I'm so grateful I stumbled on this site. Everyone has been so constructive and thoughtful, too rare a thing in online forums.
So here's the update, bullet style...
** Put some time in on a WOZ machine last night......LOVED IT!! It's haaaarrrd, but I could play that thing forever.
** This crowd has made me more comfortable with the notion of buying something used.
** Given the above point, it takes the time urgency off getting many of the various machines NIB
And the final answer is...
** Putting a deposit down this week for a WOZ 75th Anniversary, assuming we'll have to wait some time for the next build
** While waiting for the WOZ, going to check out a good restored example of LOTR, White Water, maybe Champion Pub (yeah, I know, we're suckers for the campy novelty of it). I know all 3 machines and am confident they'll be long-term keepers for us.
** We'll have time to save for the WOZ when it's ready for shipping, and have a great start on our collection.
I've already left a message for the folks at Jersey Jack...very excited. Once I've clarified everything on that end, I'll start the search for the used machine.
Thanks again, everyone! I'm glad to be part of this wonderful community and super excited to begin collecting and playing more often...it's great decompression time for me and my wife.
I'll post updates and any questions to this thread as we go along.

Are you buying a used woz or new? A little confused by your wording. Woz is the only pin I recommend buying new, it holds its value well and you'd get the updated boards.

#72 6 years ago

Have you looked here? There seems to be a number fo spots in your metro are with great games to try. https://pinballmap.com/indiana

#73 6 years ago

Sbmania...
Thanks for that, great guidance on all levels (and that's exactly how I feel about my wife after 30 years together). That's why I can't do Dialed In and hesitate on AFMr. I hate the theme on Dialed In and find the straight lines of AFMr don't hold my attention.

Indianapolis isn't long on dealers like some parts of the country though there's a decent community of owners and some good service resources. As such, I'll get the new WOZ 75th Anniversary right from JJP and pay the money for white glove delivery and setup.

#74 6 years ago

pcprogrammer...

Sorry for the ambiguity, I'm buying a NIB WOZ 75th Anniversary. I actually just spoke with Jen over at JJP regarding either buying a remaining unit from the Jan/Feb build cycle or putting in a deposit for the upcoming build cycle.

#75 6 years ago

@jefryan...

Thanks for the link! I've actually taken a good and long look through the Pinballmap.com site as well as the one here on Pinside. That's actually how I discovered the local place that has a WOZ machine I could play. These sites have really been a treat for me to discover.

Thanks again!

#76 6 years ago

Hey, also, a quick question for anyone...

What do you all think about the JJP playfield protectors? I like the notion of protecting the playfield but can imagine the impact on ball movement being maybe not so awesome. Soooo, do you guys go for these things? Thanks!

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

pcprogrammer...
Sorry for the ambiguity, I'm buying a NIB WOZ 75th Anniversary. I actually just spoke with Jen over at JJP regarding either buying a remaining unit from the Jan/Feb build cycle or putting in a deposit for the upcoming build cycle.

I'm looking to purchase a WOZ also, maybe new or maybe used. What advice did Jen give you regarding the remaining units vs new build cycle? Any advantages to one or the other?

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

What do you all think about the JJP playfield protectors? I like the notion of protecting the playfield but can imagine the impact on ball movement being maybe not so awesome. Soooo, do you guys go for these things? Thanks!

Playfield protectors suck. A new game in home use has no need for one.

#79 6 years ago

Wouldn't bother with a playfield protector...

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

I've played a brand new SW LE with a playfield protector. Normally I can tell there is one on there. In this case I would've had zero clue there was one on there if someone didn't tell me.

I think they have been improved over the years.

If you're worried about dimples, this will be the only way to stop them.

#81 6 years ago

WOZ. It was the obvious game that came closest to ticking all your boxes. It's the highest quality. You'll find new things to do months/years into owning it. Even if you get good enough to make it to Somewhere Over the Rainbow (which I haven't yet after over a year of ownership), then you still won't be finished because they'll update the code and you'll have to do it all again. There are also endless ways to mod the machine. I highly recommend a witch mod upgrade and plug a powered subwoofer into the back of it. Fine choice.

#82 6 years ago

Your going to love WOZ RR it has the best light show and many levels to achieve. Congratulations on your new game.

#83 6 years ago

@sbmania...

Jen said they have 2 units left from the last build cycle. She assured me they have the newer, upgraded lighting units/boards so there shouldn't be any of those types of issues that were apparently present in early units. She also believes the 2 units will likely get bought up this week.

Regarding the next build cycle, she said it would be coming up this October/November, so not much downside to waiting just a bit (IMHO).

Since I was planning on just putting a deposit down and getting an older used machine while I waited for 6-12 months, this changes my thinking. I'll now go ahead and jump into the new machine and then spend the next year saving and eyeballing the used market (learn, learn, learn).

#84 6 years ago

Thanks to all for your thoughts regarding the playfield protectors. I'm not surprised to see the split opinions on them, but appreciate hearing the reasons some folks have positive/negative impressions and experiences.

You guys continue to rock.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from dogguyscott:

pcprogrammer...

Mike at Automated always has a ton of new JJP pins. Look like they have the 75th in stock now

http://www.pinballs.com/

#86 6 years ago

Good thing I read all of your posts before I commented. I was going to recommend WOZ RR as it is my all-time favorite pin and is just amazing in every way but I was going to say that MMr is by far the most played pin in my house. Everyone loves it and it just never gets old for some reason. It is truly a classic. I'd look there for pin number two.

As for the playfield protector...I have one on my WOZ RR and frankly I regret it a bit. It is probably unnecessary in a home environment and you can get protectors for the important parts. It collects dust underneath and takes away from the beauty of the game just a bit. Also, the ball will get stuck in the shooter lane and under the castle playfield flipper due to the protector. When I bought my DI LE, I didn't get the protector.

#87 6 years ago

I played DI on location and the PF protector was horrible, it was causing some bumps (over the Mick on a stick track) and was kind of not good looking, I was going to say it collects dirt (or may be prone to discoloration).

#88 6 years ago

IMO if I'm reading your post correctly you are looking for more than one pin.

I think Woz is the perfect choice for one, may even consider TNA (as I am) but you may want to see and play it first. So I am hesitant to recommend it 1000%

I *would* recommend a pin like Met (pro), IM VE, TWD (pro) as a second.

These pins (pro versions) are simple and elegant and don't have as many moving parts as WoZ true and don't have as many angle shots (although) they do have some interesting features

Met pro (in line drop targets, Fuel lane, captive ball, sake and Sparky)
IM three spinners (I know it's just spinners but they are fun), kickback, magnets, rising monger figurine.
TWD pro has an odd layout like a modified IM/Met with a prison toy, magnet, drop target bank and probably the most intense rules in pinball.

To note any of these three pins will be fast and a counterpoint to Woz as well as costing a few grand less than a new AFM remake.

To me those thee are equal to Tron but at a lower price.

I was going to recommend SM as well but it is a long ball time game which is fun as well.

1 week later
#89 6 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

Mike at Automated always has a ton of new JJP pins. Look like they have the 75th in stock now
http://www.pinballs.com/

To Whom It May Concern:

DON'T TRUST AUTOMATED!!! THEY WILL TELL YOU WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR ON THE PHONE, AND THEN JUST SEND YOU WHATEVER IS EASIEST FOR THEM TO GRAB.

See my old posts. I bought a WOZ75 in Feb.2017 and specifically asked for (and stressed the importance of this point!) a 2.0 machine that was manufactured AFTER 12.15.16 (or whatever that specific date was) and was told on the phone "OH YEAH ABSOLUTELY, THESE ONES WERE JUST MADE LAST WEEK!" Shipment arrived and it was an older WOZ75 from before the 2.0 switchover. Called to complain and was told they won't accept a return (even though i hadn't even touched the box or signed the BOL yet!!!) and they can't control what gets picked from the warehouse, and the JJP boxes don't state the manufacture date on them anyway (TOTAL BULLSHIT).....so "SORRY CUSTOMER......BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!!"

DON'T TRUST THESE SHITHEADS AND THEIR SHADY, USED CAR SALESMAN TACTICS. There are PLENTY of reputable distributors out there who won't LIE to their customers to make a quick sale.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 85.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-collectingplease-help-us-pick-our-first-pin/page/2?hl=jeremyon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.