(Topic ID: 286620)

New to buying Pinball! Can I get help assessing a machines value? (CLOSED)

By Wilberto757

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Haymaker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36B11ADF-B7E2-4B62-8681-C730BF2F29FA (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
8A7655EF-72A5-49BB-AE2E-D8A10C713A8B (resized).jpeg
4D868B12-C069-45D2-9055-B2C2B4C1BC32 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Hi, im looking to get my first pinball table soon. I was wondering if i can get help assessing the value of this Terminator 2: Judgment Day table someone is selling for $3500. Below are some pictures and a video of the condition of the table. Is this a fair price?

I have a lot of experience refurbishing and repairing arcade machines, crts, pcbs, so I know these machines need love and I’m willing to refurbish/repair some parts on the machine but since it’s my first pinball I wanted to ask questions from a value standpoint.

4D868B12-C069-45D2-9055-B2C2B4C1BC32 (resized).jpeg4D868B12-C069-45D2-9055-B2C2B4C1BC32 (resized).jpeg8A7655EF-72A5-49BB-AE2E-D8A10C713A8B (resized).jpeg8A7655EF-72A5-49BB-AE2E-D8A10C713A8B (resized).jpeg

#2 3 years ago

Archived ads is a good place to start:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive?s=1&ad_machine_key=485

And please stop calling it a table

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

And please stop calling it a table

Surely you can’t be serious....

#4 3 years ago

Pinside lists the price at 2500-3k which I feel like is pretty accurate for this title.

#5 3 years ago

that appears to be a nice T2 and in 2021 $3500 is a fair value for something like that.

If you REALLY want feedback post your question to Facebook's "pinball for sale" page. There's about 100 people who latch on to every price check "ad" there. As they fight, bicker, and tear each other apart you'll get 100 different opinions/views on the issue, from stuck-in-the-past guy insisting it can't possibly be worth more than $2,000, to "I found one in an old lady's house and bought it for $800 so that's what they are worth" guy, to "these go for $5,000 all day!!!" guy.

IN the end, their opinions will average out to about $3300.

So long story short, I think $3500 is a fair price for a nice T2 these days and that looks nice. Many of these are beat to hell.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

that appears to be a nice T2 and in 2021 $3500 is a fair value for something like that.
If you REALLY want feedback post your question to Facebook's "pinball for sale" page. There's about 100 people who latch on to every price check "ad" there. As they fight, bicker, and tear each other apart you'll get 100 different opinions/views on the issue, from stuck-in-the-past guy insisting it can't possibly be worth more than $2,000, to "I found one in an old lady's house and bought it for $800 so that's what they are worth" guy, to "these go for $5,000 all day!!!" guy.
IN the end, their opinions will average out to about $3300.
So long story short, I think $3500 is a fair price for a nice T2 these days and that looks nice. Many of these are beat to hell.

Haha sounds just like the arcade cabinet scene, thanks for the insight. I really appreciate your help!

#7 3 years ago

A couple of red flags in that video...

First, note the "credit dot" on the DMD after the words "free play". This means that the machine's software has detected a problem. This problem could be very minor (a switch needing adjustment) or very major (a mechanism is not working).

The cannon mechanism on T2 can be problematic, and he does not show the cannon working in his video. I wouldn't be surprised if the cannon is not functioning and this is why the credit dot is there.

Also, note that the ball gets stuck right at the end of the video. If it happens in his 1-minute long demo, you can bet it must happen a lot. Maybe this will be easy to fix, but it is likely there is a divot in the playfield at that spot.

Also, at around the 0:56 point, he hits the drop target underneath the terminator head, and none of the arrow lights for it come on. I don't think this is correct (though I am not an expert on all of the T2 rules), it may be that the drop target is not working properly.

None of these issues are huge, but are probably worthy of further inspection.

#8 3 years ago

For $3500 should have new flipper rubber rings. Not worn ones.

LTG : )

#9 3 years ago

When that game came out I bought two of them NIB and paid $2600 each. They made decent money but never thought I would see the day they would be selling for more than they did new.

#10 3 years ago

I was planning on listing mine in next few days for $3300. Cosmetically, his is a touch nicer.

Mine is fully functioning without a credit dot, no ball hang ups, and...we’ll I guess I’m gonna put new flipper rubbers on it before LTG sees my post!

Anyway...I think $3500 is right ballpark, but would try to get him down a couple $100.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

First, note the "credit dot" on the DMD after the words "free play". This means that the machine's software has detected a problem. This problem could be very minor (a switch needing adjustment) or very major (a mechanism is not working).
The cannon mechanism on T2 can be problematic, and he does not show the cannon working in his video. I wouldn't be surprised if the cannon is not functioning and this is why the credit dot is there.
Also, note that the ball gets stuck right at the end of the video. If it happens in his 1-minute long demo, you can bet it must happen a lot. Maybe this will be easy to fix, but it is likely there is a divot in the playfield at that spot.
Also, at around the 0:56 point, he hits the drop target underneath the terminator head, and none of the arrow lights for it come on. I don't think this is correct (though I am not an expert on all of the T2 rules), it may be that the drop target is not working properly.

Expert advice such as yours is exactly why I wanted to make this post. That was a very thorough look at the machine and I appreciate it because I am unfamiliar with some of the errors and small problems you quickly noticed. Would it be okay if i reached out to you in the future if have some more general questions about a machine?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from curban:

I was planning on listing mine in next few days for $3300. Cosmetically, his is a touch nicer.
Mine is fully functioning without a credit dot, no ball hang ups, and...we’ll I guess I’m gonna put new flipper rubbers on it before LTG sees my post!
Anyway...I think $3500 is right ballpark, but would try to get him down a couple $100.

Man, if you were in driving distance you would have me as a potential customer

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Wilberto757:

Expert advice such as yours is exactly why I wanted to make this post. That was a very thorough look at the machine and I appreciate it because I am unfamiliar with some of the errors and small problems you quickly noticed. Would it be okay if i reached out to you in the future if have some more general questions about a machine?

Best thing is to post a thread like you did and put the machine name in the title. Then generally you will get good details such as from mbeardsly and many of the other Pinsiders, who never cease to amaze me with their ability to spot issues in pictures and videos that I never catch.

Some time ago there was a T2 local to me for $3,500, it was all in great shape and fully working (no credit dot). I thought that was a good price based on what I have seen for these recently. I wish I could have bought it (no room). Its a fun machine I think, and cool-looking.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Wilberto757:

Absolutely (though I hesitate to call myself an expert). It just happens that I have played a lot of T2 over many years (even though I have never owned one) and know something about what to look for. There are many others here who could help at least as much as me - and probably more.

Posting a new thread like this one (especially with the machine name in the title and linking the thread to that machine) will likely attract experts of that particular title, and is probably the best plan - but if you want to contact me through PM feel free to do that. I will be glad to help where I can - as will many others here.

#15 3 years ago

Another small piece of advice...when looking at pictures/videos of a machine, take care to look at what parts are NOT being shown.

If there is a section of the cabinet that is not in any of the pictures, or an important mechanism that is not shown working...maybe it's because they don't WANT you to see that part.

#16 3 years ago

DO NOT PAY $3500 for that. $2500-$2800 tops. T2 is a $2000 pin in my book. Gets old quickly.

#17 3 years ago

I for one would want to see a lot more pictures than just 2 and at minimum both sides and front of the cabinet, inside the backbox showing boards, back of translite, underside the PF, and inside of the cabinet. $3500 is on the high end for the title so I would like to know exactly what I am getting for the money.

There seems to be a decent amount of insert chipping in the single picture posted of the playfield so I would ask for more pics of the PF as well. Nothing wrong with some wear and tear and it's not like this is a HUO T2 but if I was paying on higher end of the price range I would like know exactly what I am getting.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikala:

Surely you can’t be serious....

36B11ADF-B7E2-4B62-8681-C730BF2F29FA (resized).jpeg36B11ADF-B7E2-4B62-8681-C730BF2F29FA (resized).jpeg
#19 3 years ago

That game is over priced based on the condition, I noticed the inserts being chipped first thing and I didn't need to see anything else because there is hardly a T2 out there that should bring $3500. But after looking the playfield picture over the right return plastic is broken at the top. My opinion from what I've seen so far it's a $2K game, it could be higher but I'd have to see the cabinet and other stuff. Don't do it!!

John

#20 3 years ago

Terminate the deal, explain at that price you won’t be back

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

[quoted image]

Glad to see someone got it, opposed to a flipper who was still in his diapers when the movie came out!

#22 3 years ago

Just to confirm, after tracking T2s for a while in the hopes of getting one some day, I agree that $3,500 is OK for a top example - no credit dot, everything working, nothing broken, all good or new plastics, near-perfect playfield and plastics, nice cabinet.

#23 3 years ago

For $3500, I'd expect the power supply to be recapped and new bridges. These WPC era games are known for the dreaded "reset issue". I'd expect rebuilt flippers, new rings, Make sure there are no burnt connectors in the backbox or alkaline damage from old batteries.
I'd say $2800- $3k is more realistic.

#24 3 years ago

There’s a pinball and arcade enthusiast group in Florida. I’d join and do a reputation check on the seller.
Arcadeflorida.com
Like all areas, there are good and bad sellers.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

There's about 100 people who latch on to every price check "ad" there. As they fight, bicker, and tear each other apart you'll get 100 different opinions/views on the issue, from stuck-in-the-past guy insisting it can't possibly be worth more than $2,000, to "I found one in an old lady's house and bought it for $800 so that's what they are worth" guy, to "these go for $5,000 all day!!!" guy.

Thank you for the laugh today!! So very true!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

For $3500, I'd expect the power supply to be recapped and new bridges. These WPC era games are known for the dreaded "reset issue". I'd expect rebuilt flippers, new rings, Make sure there are no burnt connectors in the backbox or alkaline damage from old batteries.
I'd say $2800- $3k is more realistic.

Yes, agree, $3,500 is the top end - everything done as it should be. Thanks for reminding me of the details for when I want to look at one, I'll have a nice list to check!

#27 3 years ago

No way that is worth $3,500.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

After you hit the drop target underneath the terminator head, the "load the cannon" is supposed to light and the target drops. The next shot to the terminator head gets sent to the cannon. It's a pretty easy shot, but he didn't hit it a second time so you can't see if the cannon works and if it goes into multi-ball.

I really like mine and it's pretty popular with guests. It's a great 90's pin that is readily available and reasonably priced.

#29 3 years ago

@wilberto757, is this a title you are highly interested in and hard to find in your area? That can factor in price for YOU. Maybe paying more local to avoid a road trip is worth it, maybe not. If this isn't a title you are trully desiring you should either negotiate well or move on.

#30 3 years ago

I'd say 3500 is too high for the insert issues.

#31 3 years ago

Also, those saying it is a $2000 pin either have good hook-ups or don't know the current market. $2000 DMD pins that work are very hard to find now, even less rated titles. I can't give a number, but an offer of $2000 would likely lead to no response.

#32 3 years ago

As much as I hate to admit it, DMD machines see, to be 3k anymore. I don’t disagree with the comments here, but it is getting difficult to find them. That said, I believe everything is negotiable. If they owner wants to move it, they will haggle. I think you can get it for $3000.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Also, those saying it is a $2000 pin either have good hook-ups or don't know the current market. $2000 DMD pins that work are very hard to find now, even less rated titles. I can't give a number, but an offer of $2000 would likely lead to no response.

Without playing or seeing the rest of the game I think thats pretty fair in my opinion. Seller needs to provide a lot more pictures and info if he wants more from me. That cabinet could be beat to death.

John

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballshack:

When that game came out I bought two of them NIB and paid $2600 each. They made decent money but never thought I would see the day they would be selling for more than they did new.

Don't worry. You haven't seen the day. $2,600 in 1991 is $4,972 today

https://www.in2013dollars.com/us/inflation/1991?amount=2600

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

As much as I hate to admit it, DMD machines see, to be 3k anymore. I don’t disagree with the comments here, but it is getting difficult to find them. That said, I believe everything is negotiable. If they owner wants to move it, they will haggle. I think you can get it for $3000.

I hate to admit it, but its true. T2 used to be one of those games that offered a ton of bang for the buck when you could get them cheap around 2k (or less) but its definitely went up a lot in value recently. Its easily 3k and 3500 is not unrealistic for a nice one. I might try to shave a couple hundred off that guys asking price if you can, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot, and its certainly not crazy overpriced, I don't know if its $3500 nice, but if you could get it for say 3200 or less I wouldn't consider it a bad buy. At those prices I would certainly expect LED's, rebuilt flippers, and clean boards, so make sure you get that info.

All that said, I like T2 but its now too expensive for my blood. For the same price you can get games that I like better such as no fear, getaway, judge dredd, demo man, hell, even Black Rose.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 21.95
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-to-buying-pinball-can-i-get-help-assessing-a-machines-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.