20190324_093915 (resized).jpg
20190324_093909 (resized).jpg
20190324_093923 (resized).jpg
15533889238921305162596 (resized).jpg
15533888949331938414789 (resized).jpg
15533888545251064611476 (resized).jpg
15531557455111407208265 (resized).jpg
15531549710981792429043 (resized).jpg
There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 8 years ago

New to the hobby, I jumped in with both feet by deciding to do a full retheme on a 1968 Williams Student Prince.
I've been on a bit of a tiki kick lately, so the retheme will have that as the base inspiration. I plan on replacing
everything that is wood (cabinet and playfield), and the playfield will be done with veneer marquetry techniques
instead of the usual painted graphics, with the text laid on top via decals. The metal siderails and lockdown bar
will also be replaced with either laminated bamboo or a to-be-decided hardwood, and the posts are being
replaced with lathed black palm.Black palm posts.jpgBlack palm posts.jpg

I'm slowly working through refurbishing the mechanisms (with lots of help from the VECTOR guys at the Dallas
Makerspace), and alternate that work with artwork design and woodworking on new parts. I've finished
prototyping the graphics and design for the pop bumper caps.design test.JPGdesign test.JPG
The outer skirts are lathed, then laser etched with the design.outer skirt test.JPGouter skirt test.JPG
The same with the cap centers, but each cap has a different face etched on it.center cap test.jpgcenter cap test.jpg
The centers will be slightly raised above the outer skirt, and have the bottom of the part silver leafed so
when the bumper is lit, the light will spill out onto the outer skirt. The plywood on the bottom will be removed after all the work on the lathe is finished.pinball cap02.JPGpinball cap02.JPGpinball cap01.JPGpinball cap01.JPG
After getting some feedback, I will also be adding a circle of thin lexan under the bottom of the caps that sticks out about 1/16" to take any hits from air balls.

#2 8 years ago

Wow, looks great. Something like this would be really cool on a pirates of the Caribbean. In the style of the majan skull coins...

#3 8 years ago

Wow! Are you kidding me?! That looks amazing! How far are you going with the retheme? Playfield art? Back glass?

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Wow, looks great. Something like this would be really cool on a Pirates of the Caribbean. In the style of the majan skull coins...

Huh, not a bad idea. I'll have to look into doing a sample cap just for giggles to see how it would come out, but pretty sure you're right and it would look nice. Question would be if it should be gold leafed (fake leaf, can't afford 22kt leaf) or not...

Quoted from practicalsteve:

Wow! Are you kidding me?! That looks amazing! How far are you going with the retheme? Playfield art? Back glass?

Everything. Full retheme of playfield, plastics, cabinet artwork, and backglass. I'm planning on using wood or wood veneers for everything on the cabinet and playfield (no painted graphics) except for black decals for the playfield text. I'm still debating the artwork style for the backglass and plastics right now. The backglass is most likely going to be a ink painting on rice paper of a beachside tiki hut, and the plastics will either be more ink paintings, or thin carved/etched wood like the caps above.

#5 8 years ago

Wow nice...it will really rock if there were holes to let the light through. GL!

#6 8 years ago

Those look awesome! I have a POTC and while it sounds like a cool idea, I don't think you would be able to see them back there. The red pops are kind of hidden under plastic and behind stuff, no?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wow nice...it will really rock if there were holes to let the light through. GL!

The center "faces" of the caps are raised above the outer ring, so the light will bounce off of the bottom of the center and light up the outer ring of the caps. You can see the gap in the 2nd to last photo with the side view.

Quoted from yzfguy:

Those look awesome! I have a POTC and while it sounds like a cool idea, I don't think you would be able to see them back there. The red pops are kind of hidden under plastic and behind stuff, no?

Yeah, I just looked up the playfield layout for PotC and saw that. Ehh, still think it's a cool idea, and will try it out for fun.

#8 8 years ago

sounds like the light shining will look sweet very creative.

#9 8 years ago

Looks great so far.

If you wanted to give it a more specific tiki theme, you could always Disney-fi it. Jungle Cruise, or Trader Sam's (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/trader-sams/) or even the original Enchanted Tiki Room.

#10 8 years ago

very nice. nice choices for the pop-bumper caps with the slightly different designs, but overall the same amount of detail on each one.

looking forward to seeing the finished product

#11 8 years ago

This is really amazing! I can't wait to see it finished - I'd love a tiki pinball.

#12 8 years ago

WOW!!! Amazing craftsmanship.

#13 8 years ago

Amazing creativity and effort especially for someone new to the hobby. I hope the pf will be cleared.

#14 8 years ago

That's pretty cool! Into the tiki scene myself. Well done!

#15 8 years ago

Excellent work, Hardsuit! From a fellow woodcarver, I applaud you!

#16 8 years ago

That's pretty cool~!

#17 8 years ago

Excellent! Really nice original thinking, I love seeing it. An EM is a perfect canvas for a tiki theme.

Looking forward to seeing where to you take this.

#18 8 years ago

Really interesting idea. I've always been a big Tiki fan.

You might check out this guy for some additional inspiration http://www.shag.com/#featured

#19 8 years ago

I really like it!

#20 8 years ago

The only problem with this - I wish I had thought of it!

AWESOME

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Looks great so far.
If you wanted to give it a more specific tiki theme, you could always Disney-fi it. Jungle Cruise, or Trader Sam's (https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland-hotel/trader-sams/) or even the original Enchanted Tiki Room.

Heh heh heh. Yeah, already big fan of Trader Sam's, visit there every time I'm in LA. This retheme will be pretty non specific, but I have ideas for a full out custom tiki bar themed pin... Boy do I have ideas. Biggest one is to use the backbox as an animated, interactive diorama, so for example when you start the "Shipwreck Mode" the little ship in the bottle over the dollhouse sized tiki bar sinks, "Cursed Idol Mode" has a little carved tiki idol (think I'm gonna have to research that one episode of the Brady Bunch) that floats around the diorama handing from a thin bit of piano wire, etc...

Quoted from MustangPaul:

Amazing creativity and effort especially for someone new to the hobby. I hope the pf will be cleared.

Yeah, I plan on a 2pac clear coat after I get all of the marquetry veneer laid down to my satisfaction. Luckily I have access to a 5' by 10' CNC router at the Makerspace to make cutting the inserts, etc much easier.

Quoted from GSones:

Really interesting idea. I've always been a big Tiki fan.
You might check out this guy for some additional inspiration http://www.shag.com/#featured

Yeah, I've seen lots of Shag's stuff. It'd work great for pin graphics, but for this theme I plan on minimal "picture" artwork and mainly use tribal patterns, like you see on the outer ring on the caps.

#22 8 years ago

I've been thinking about doing a tiki re-themed pin for years, but now I know I'm not worthy.
This is awesome - I can't wait to see more. BTW, my user id "swampfire" is a nod to Doug Horne's "Swampfire Lounge".

#23 8 years ago

Here's a topper for you...

s640x480.jpgs640x480.jpg

#24 8 years ago

Looks like I need to go blow up the Ingress portal at DMS again and sneak in to get a peek as well. I don't have a membership but people keep letting us in to look at stuff, lol.

#25 8 years ago

Very cool. My gameroom is tiki themed. Or it will be as soon as I get some tiki stuff for it...

I always thought a Tiki Madness pinball machine would be great. Could have some pretty cool toys.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Looks like I need to go blow up the Ingress portal at DMS again and sneak in to get a peek as well. I don't have a membership but people keep letting us in to look at stuff, lol.

No need to sneak, every Thursday is the Open Tour night for officially scheduled tours, but there is almost always someone to do an informal tours on other days/evenings. We have classes pretty much every night that are usually free and typically open to the general public.

Also, September 12 is the annual Open House where we'll be doing Space-wide demos, classes, etc (+ food trucks), and I know the pinball guys (VECTOR) will be setting up a bunch of pins on open play in the smaller classroom. Might even have the 1972 Bally Fireball up and running by then...

#27 8 years ago

"Smokin tikis" on eBay sells some great carvings, made in Hawaii. These are Doug Horne designs...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#28 8 years ago

Well done!!!!

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Hardsuit:

No need to sneak, every Thursday is the Open Tour night for officially scheduled tours, but there is almost always someone to do an informal tours on other days/evenings. We have classes pretty much every night that are usually free and typically open to the general public.
Also, September 12 is the annual Open House where we'll be doing Space-wide demos, classes, etc (+ food trucks), and I know the pinball guys (VECTOR) will be setting up a bunch of pins on open play in the smaller classroom. Might even have the 1972 Bally Fireball up and running by then...

I use the term "sneak" loosely. My wife and I ran a league night/tournament at the old location last year (in which I played horribly...Nick's Doozie and Shawn's Elektra put the moves on me...).

#30 8 years ago

Finally decided how I'm going to handle the siderails and lockdown bar over the weekend. Grabbed a big (7'x4"x2") board of zebrawood, and am working up a design to create a wooden version of the old Bally playfield glass frame ('72 Fireball as an example) but using a standard sized glass. The biggest design issue was figuring out how to make the lockdown bar removable to allow for glass changes, and I think I've got that problem finally licked. Looking like there will be a number of woodrail design elements in this thing by the time I'm finished with it mixed in with the more modern bits as I find something cool.

Quoted from Frax:

I use the term "sneak" loosely. My wife and I ran a league night/tournament at the old location last year (in which I played horribly...Nick's Doozie and Shawn's Elektra put the moves on me...).

No worries. Didn't know how much you knew of the current setup or schedule for the Space, so figured I'd list 'em...

#31 8 years ago

Got the final lathe and laser passes done on all four caps. You can also see one of the black palm posts in the center just above the playfield score reel. Next up is selective staining, shellac, and silver leafing the underside of the tiki face centers. This is still on the original Student Prince playfield, I'm still doing the art design for the new playfield.

pin_caps.jpegpin_caps.jpeg

#33 8 years ago

Great Idea

#34 8 years ago

I must say all of the VECTORIANS and visitors to our work zone are quite pleased and excited with the progress of this project! Really amazing detail & looks even better in person. I only wish Trader Vic's hadn't closed in 2010... otherwise we'd be planning a lavish project completion party there.

As mentioned, if you will be in the D/FW area this weekend, the Dallas Makerspace will be holding an open house party this Saturday the 12th from 10am-late. We will have all of our project machines on-site as well as at least 11 others in playable condition. Including a Sinbad SS and EM side-by-side to compare. Also: Robots, RC cars, flying drones, zany art projects, food trucks, etc. Free parking & admission to the geekery.

#35 8 years ago

The caps with stain, Rub'n Buff, and shellac applied. I switched to Rub'n Buff instead of leafing for the reflective bottom surface of the center face caps. Same results, but faster and cheaper to apply.

cap1.jpegcap1.jpeg

#36 8 years ago

those look Awesome

1 week later
#37 8 years ago

W
The inner "core" of the leg is sapele (somewhat similar to mahogany), and the outer "fins" are solid bamboo laminate.
leg1.jpegleg1.jpegleg2.jpegleg2.jpeg
Still deciding on the design, but will be doing some veneer inlay into the sapele of some kind of running pattern down the length of the leg.

#38 8 years ago

Interested in selling your Student Prince plastics?

#39 8 years ago

The original owner has dibs on them, along with the backglass. Sorry...

2 weeks later
#40 8 years ago

Assembled cap, almost 100% finished. Top left is unlit, top right is lit. I will probably use either red or orange LEDs for the lighting (possibly yellow, testing needs to be performed). The white is just what I had laying around the house to test the basic idea. Just need to put in the mother of pearl overlay on the fish detail...assembled cap01low.jpgassembled cap01low.jpg

#42 8 years ago

Playing with the graphics for the cabinet sides right now. Currently have this as the leading candidate.cabinet side design01.jpgcabinet side design01.jpg
Veneers are mahogany (wide bands at top and bottom), lacewood (the wave patterns[stained and unstained]), zebrawood (the lighter middle stripe), and ebony (the tiki faces).

#43 8 years ago

Beautiful work!

2 months later
#44 8 years ago

Ain't dead yet. WIP shots of me *finally* actually cutting some veneer for the cab sides...
Scale wise, the circles are 5" in diameter. Lighter wood is Zebrawood, darker is Macassar Ebony.

cabinet_wip2_(resized).jpgcabinet_wip2_(resized).jpg
cabinet_wip1_(resized).jpgcabinet_wip1_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#46 8 years ago

My tiki retheme will be showing up at TPF, but will still be a (playable) WIP. Sooooo much fiddly detail work.
So far I've used ebony, zebrawood, mahogany, and curly/quilted maple veneers, along with solid pieces
of mahogany, sapele, zebrawood, and bamboo.

You can see the original Student Prince cabinet to the right of the new tiki cabinet in the first photo.

1457319022391_(resized).jpg1457319022391_(resized).jpg
1456970410159_(resized).jpg1456970410159_(resized).jpg
IMG_20160221_210322_(resized).jpgIMG_20160221_210322_(resized).jpg

#47 8 years ago

I've got a woody. This is amazing!

2 weeks later
#48 8 years ago

This is what it looked like at TPF this past weekend. Polynesia works, but man she is cranky. All of the mechs need a very thorough cleaning to remove the decades of built up gunk.

20160320_145947_(resized).jpg20160320_145947_(resized).jpg

This is the current state of the playfield. I am really liking the light/dark contrast between the playfield and plastics (or I guess woods in this case...) and will go with that overall look. I'm thinking a light bamboo veneer with minimalist tribal line art for the playfield, and some minor detailing/carving/artwork on the woods. If I can figure out the correct settings for it on the laser I will also incorporate spots of inlaid mother of pearl. I'm really hoping to have the Polynesia name inlaid into the lockdown bar at the top right corner this way.

1458313888982_(resized).jpg1458313888982_(resized).jpg

#49 8 years ago

Lookin' gooooood!

#50 8 years ago

Whoa! This is incredible. I've been into Tiki for 20-25 years, and have an entire basement full of tikiphilia! (I think my basement pin collection might be on the gamerooms thread?? I forget).

This is an excellent project. You need some Martin Denny background music!!

BTW, I'm thinking about thinning my tiki mug hoard, if anyone is interested in some mugs, shoot me a pm. I don't have a photo selection available yet, but if enough interest that'll force me into it. Mugs are mostly Orchids of Hawaii varieties.............

-Nate

There are 172 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tiki-themed-wooden-pop-bumper-caps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.