Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by Phantasize
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190907_141517 (resized).jpg
20190907_141508 (resized).jpg
20190907_141502 (resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 77 days ago

Also note this requires the 1.3-based U22 security chip. 1.4H security will read wrong chip.

#52 75 days ago
Quoted from Drac:

Is there any chance a wizard mode for Grand Finale can ever be added to this game?

I have decided to leave the wizard mode as-is. I know it is lame. But I also like a single ball wizard mode. It is ballsy. It is unique.

I have a less-is-more approach to these mods. Always keep the spirit of the original release. Just change and add what is needed for bugfix, competition usabillity and replay value.

It is not reimplementations.

#53 75 days ago

if anyone needs the final builds just send me a direct email.
cfh@provide.net

#54 75 days ago

I can run anypic.exe on the file and then it won't care about the pic. you'll just need one, any one, for it to work.

#55 73 days ago

Soren the mod works great! I've been putting off the tiger saw mod for months, and your code update pushed me over the edge to get it done today. Installed a motor, hooked it up and installed your rom. Looks great with the 1.4 behavior, thanks for doing it! Love the other changes, including the trunk fix. I'll be hosting a tournament next month with TOM in tournament mode. Basement will be much better now.

Did I miss your PayPal donation link? I'd like to send a few bucks your way in gratitude for your work! Let me know where.

Craig

PS great balance on the changes

#56 71 days ago

Thanks a lot. I am happy you like it and see the potential for competion play at a higher level of quality.

I generally like the give-me-what-I-need concept for "random" awards. However, just twisting a game for this can be with the side effect of it being a too easy shortcut to progress.

It is all in the balance. And I think the balance is there for Theatre of Magic basement, as qualifying it is via the centre targets.

And as soon as the achievements are made towards the wizard mode, the basement goes to points only. This is theoretical of course. I doubt there has been any game of TOM ever, where Illusions was not the last one remaining.

#57 71 days ago

Soren, I know you advised with the 1.3x that you would not recommend it for home use (I have the Leon fix for the trunk). Does that still hold true with this latest fix?

#58 71 days ago
Quoted from meSz:

Soren, I know you advised with the 1.3x that you would not recommend it for home use (I have the Leon fix for the trunk). Does that still hold true with this latest fix?

I'm using it for home use, and tested it. Unless soren disagrees, you can always turn off the tournament features and at that point it's identical to 1.4H... Unless I'm missing something.

#59 71 days ago

I will also add, I suspect soren's changes to 1.3 solve another problem. From the author of the 1.4H change notes:

3) The multiball crash is rare, but it happens. I didn't learn about it
until months later and I was already deep into development on another
project plus the Magic I tested on was not in my posession anymore.
I never had a chance to verify if the crash was always there or if the
code modifications brought the crash into the open. Things like this
happen when you're flying blind in someone else's code. Chalk it up to
the price you pay for having a prototype game.

#60 71 days ago
Quoted from soren:

Due public demand, the code controlling the prototype Tiger saw motor has been ported from the rev. 1.4H ROM to the rev.

Awesome, thank you.

#61 71 days ago
Quoted from meSz:

With factory reset the ROM mods presented in this thread only changes...

1) Bonus-x advance is +1 instead of +2.

2) Combo max at 20M instead of unlimited (with wrap-around to 0).

3) No trunk error state without a real reason to.

4) Hocus pocus outlane saver has 2nd saver feature if the magnet bombs out.

And with the latest 34ee mod...

5) The prototype Tiger saw motor is re-implemented.

With tournament play enabled there is a few more changes (see the Readme).

And with an additional option to make Spell theatre harder.

1 week later
#62 62 days ago
Quoted from jsa:

Also note this requires the 1.3-based U22 security chip. 1.4H security will read wrong chip.

ok, cool so it is the 1.3. I was thinking the 1.3X had it's own or something. Using the 1.4h and need to find my old one now.

1 month later
#63 28 days ago

Thank you, Soren.
The world is a brighter place with people like yourself out there.

1 week later
#64 21 days ago

Thanks for your effort, Soren. Keep up the great work !
I like the changes and improvements a lot. You really should add a donation link.
There´s one bug from the original 1.3 Rom remaining,
A.2 Adjustment 12 " Trunk ball save" isn´t working. When it´s on it should give the ball back to the player when he hits the trunk and the ball goes SDTM.
In version 1.2 it´s working, but in this version the slingshots are active in attract mode.
Would it be possible to fix this one, as well ?

Best regards
Gernot

#65 21 days ago

Thanks.

That is cute. I did not know of that. Is it like Indiana Jones centre targets - at all times - ball saver. And not only at start of ball.

#66 18 days ago
Quoted from soren:

Is it like Indiana Jones centre targets - at all times - ball saver. And not only at start of ball.

On WMS Indy it´s a little different I guess.
If I remember correctly you get your ball back when you hit one or more center drop target(s) and the ball flies to the left outlane.
When the ball triggers the left outlane switch you get the ball back.

On ToM you should get your ball back when you hit the trunk and the ball goes immediately SDTM.
In 1.3 it doesn't matter what you set in "A.2 Adjustment 12", you won´t get your ball back.
This was working fine in version 1.2, but as I mentioned in 1.2 the slings are active in attract mode.

There is one more small "issue", but it´s really not a big thing and probably not worth investing your time.
It would be nice if the game would only show the buy-in scores in attract mode when buy-in is activated.
At the moment it always shows the buy-in scores, no matter if buy-in´s are activate or not.
When you want to write down your scores in a tournament you have to wait for the buy-in scores to scroll by.
And to top it all off, you could implement scrolling through the attract mode pages with the flipper buttons like in all newer pinball machines.

#67 18 days ago
Quoted from RichterMC:

On WMS Indy it´s a little different I guess.
If I remember correctly you get your ball back when you hit one or more center drop target(s) and the ball flies to the left outlane.
When the ball triggers the left outlane switch you get the ball back.
On ToM you should get your ball back when you hit the trunk and the ball goes immediately SDTM.
In 1.3 it doesn't matter what you set in "A.2 Adjustment 12", you won´t get your ball back.
This was working fine in version 1.2, but as I mentioned in 1.2 the slings are active in attract mode.
There is one more small "issue", but it´s really not a big thing and probably not worth investing your time.
It would be nice if the game would only show the buy-in scores in attract mode when buy-in is activated.
At the moment it always shows the buy-in scores, no matter if buy-in´s are activate or not.
When you want to write down your scores in a tournament you have to wait for the buy-in scores to scroll by.
And to top it all off, you could implement scrolling through the attract mode pages with the flipper buttons like in all newer pinball machines.

Or better yet, don't allow buy-in scores the option to record their initials since it was achieved in a BS way.

#68 17 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Or better yet, don't allow buy-in scores the option to record their initials since it was achieved in a BS way.

BS or not. Buy-in helped earnings a lot, I am sure. As with a couple of other dubious design decisions in pinball. The coin is king.

#69 17 days ago
Quoted from soren:

BS or not. Buy-in helped earnings a lot, I am sure. As with a couple of other dubious design decisions in pinball. The coin is king.

Very true.

#70 14 days ago
Quoted from RichterMC:

A.2 Adjustment 12 " Trunk ball save" isn´t working. When it´s on it should give the ball back to the player when he hits the trunk and the ball goes SDTM.

Been looking into this.

It IS working in v1.3. But there is a number of conditions masking it off. Modes running, trunk on open side etc. But - most importantly - it is only for the very first shot to the trunk per ball-in-play. I guess the designers decided to tighten it from v1.2 to v1.3.

#71 11 days ago
Quoted from soren:

Been looking into this.

It IS working in v1.3. But there is a number of conditions masking it off. Modes running, trunk on open side etc. But - most importantly - it is only for the very first shot to the trunk per ball-in-play. I guess the designers decided to tighten it from v1.2 to v1.3.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.
So it´s probably intended to work like this in version 1.3.
Anyway I think it dosen´t make much sense this way. Trunk ballsaves just don´t happen with all the conditions to meet.
Try to explain this to the player´s.
You will get your ball back if :
1.) You hit the trunk for the frist time
2.) The trunk is in a certain position
3.) There´s no mode running
4.) It´s Wednesday and your wife is pregnant

Would it be possible to have three options to choose from ?
No trunk ball saves, always trunk ball saves (like in 1.2) and ball saves with conditions (like in 1.3.)

#72 10 days ago

It makes sense in the spirit of the skill shot (with ball saver off).

These things are designed to give players just enough of a positive experience to keep dumping money. And operators hate everything of this sort.

#73 7 days ago
Quoted from soren:

It makes sense in the spirit of the skill shot (with ball saver off).
These things are designed to give players just enough of a positive experience to keep dumping money. And operators hate everything of this sort.

Guess you are right for the most part.
But there are exceptions.
I shopped a ToM for an operator recently and installed your software patch.
The only reason we went back to 1.2 was the "missing" trunk ball save.
In 1.2 I really miss your second outlane save feature, but a failing outlane magnet is less common than a SDTM from the trunk.
Therefore I choose 1.2 for location use.
So not all operators are "bad" and just want to make short term money.

20190907_141502 (resized).jpg20190907_141508 (resized).jpg20190907_141517 (resized).jpg
#74 6 days ago

I agree on the various points made her. But personally i would love to have the 1.2 trunk save functionality merged in to a patched 1.3 - That would really give me the best of both worlds.

I really want to have the added "failed magnet" functionality as this happens quite often on my machine (left side especially), AND the trunk save option, as im just not that good a player and often have SDTM's on my personal ToM after hitting the trunk.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York City, NEW YORK
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside