View topic image gallery

IMG_5789 (resized).JPG
IMG_5788 (resized).JPG
IMG_3713 (resized).JPG
20200331_130534000_iOS (resized).jpg
20190907_141517 (resized).jpg
20190907_141508 (resized).jpg
20190907_141502 (resized).jpg

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

The patch has been removed.

#2 5 years ago

Whoah, sounds pretty cool! Do you have a video of it in action? Does this play nice with color DMD?

#4 5 years ago

What ever happened to the BSD software mod?

#5 5 years ago

Does this have any of the home rom coding for motorised saw etc

#6 5 years ago

I'd love to see a bsd revision

#7 5 years ago

This is very very cool ! Hard to believe this is possible without the original source code. I didn’t realize the trunk was such an issue. Well done people!

#8 5 years ago

Wow this is awesome.

#9 5 years ago

Thanks.

ColorDMD. I ment to install it in a session on a test game, but that was abandoned. So, I can't answer for that. But I will assume it does show everything as intended.

No plans for Bram Stoker's Dracula anytime soon. A LOT of bug on that one.

It is a conscious decision to base the mod on version 1.3X. Realisticly both the free play only and the unique security chip of 1.4 would have to be reversed. And then there is the question of whether this version has new bugs or subtle differences. Only very few people are running this. So, 1.3X it is.

#10 5 years ago

will this work on coin play?

will update and put on route game if so.

#11 5 years ago

The Change segment of the release note describes the full and complete content of the changes made. So, coin play, yes.

#12 5 years ago

Great work, im very interested in how this will play...

#13 5 years ago

great work. If I don't have a ROM burner - how can I get the code on my machine?

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

great work. If I don't have a ROM burner - how can I get the code on my machine?

Make friends with someone who has a ROM burner

#15 5 years ago

Awesome work. Downloaded, patched, and installed! Thank you for putting the time and energy for updating the code!

#16 5 years ago

Nice work!! Please provide a paypal address for donations.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

Look up Matt's Basement Arcade here on Pinside. Or google it. Matt has burned several for me - good guy to work with.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Look up Matt's Basement Arcade here on Pinside. Or google it. Matt has burned several for me - good guy to work with.

thanks!

#20 5 years ago

This couldn't be installed on a remake, if the game was remade, correct?

#21 5 years ago

As, naturally, mods is compatible with the original hardware, it can run on any virtual recreation or reimplementation on a modern hardware platform. As these ultimately run the original software in an emulated environment. With the two most recent Chicago Gaming efforts having some pretty fancy hooks into the display throughput.

So, if they wanted to, they could.

I know both Alltek and Farsight have stated that they will not consider modded software. Farsight do not even run the nearly official releases for TZ and CV. Do not know about Zen and Chicago Gaming. You will have to ask them.

#22 5 years ago

This version is a must have for all ToM owners!

The trunk fix is the best of it, imho. It really eliminates all unnecessary trunk errors without cutting any features. I liked the Leon's HW fix, but always thought it is eliminating the incentive for a fast shot and therefore changing gameplay. This SW fix really plays as intended by the original game designers.

2nd the hocus pocus 2nd saver is really a good improvement!

The other new options and changes are a great improvement for balancing, but even if you want to stay with the original feel this is possible and the mod does not force you into anything unwanted.

Thank you, Soren, for all your efforts and the great work. It was a pleasure to support you by beta- testing!

Thanks,
Lars

#23 5 years ago

Love this! The theatre shot grind strategy makes this a painfully boring competition game. I honestly wish that after cashed in once, it wouldn't relight at least till a mode has been played or another goal toward grand finale has been completed.

#24 5 years ago

I am a big fan of objectives getting harder and harder to reach. And, it is a nice inherent way to have the game rules balancing. Lets call this approach A.

Contrary, I am not a fan of something being off the board until something else completed type of stuff. It is too confusing. Leads to mode timing out and crap like that. Lets call this approach B.

A) requires keeping track of players individual preformance cross-balls. And speaking of modding excisting games, this can be a tough deal to pull off. And even if we do know how many multiballs on TOM each player have played. How would you make it tougher to get.

Require more than five ramp shots to spell Magic? One would have to be creative with the MAGIC indicators.

Require alternating ramp shots for Magic? There are no indicators (ie. like WCS has).

Require a Magic run per lock/start mb? Yeah, that could be possible with the excisting playfield.

While not too kean on B) it does work in some cases. Like Funhouse Mirror modes. And, this TOM mod has something similar with the basement. It helps you catch-up objectives. But cannot be exploited for, say, Midnight madness over and over. Kinda proud of that, actually.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from soren:

While not too kean on B) it does work in some cases. Like Funhouse Mirror modes. And, this TOM mod has something similar with the basement. It helps you catch-up objectives. But cannot be exploited for, say, Midnight madness over and over. Kinda proud of that, actually.

You should be very proud of that achievement! Considering that (to my understanding) you are working by modifying the existing code in binary/hex, I'm always amazed by what you can do.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from pb_lawww:

The trunk fix is the best of it, imho. It really eliminates all unnecessary trunk errors without cutting any features. I liked the Leon's HW fix, but always thought it is eliminating the incentive for a fast shot and therefore changing gameplay.

Agreed! I miss the quick hit on the trunk, but appreciate that I don't have trunk errors.

With that said: How do I implement this into my machine and how would I disable Leon's fix?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

Agreed! I miss the quick hit on the trunk, but appreciate that I don't have trunk errors.
With that said: How do I implement this into my machine and how would I disable Leon's fix?

I to have the Leon fix as well as the Tiger saw and wanted to know what impact this new software would have, if any?

#28 5 years ago

As this is based on the 1.3X, the Tiger saw motor is not supported.

The mod is compatible with the Leon fix. But the game will not register hit on the Trunk while it is rotating. Which is the Leon solution.

For a home play setup, and if you have the Leon fix and like the Tiger saw spinning, I would not install this mod. Most of it is addressing (high level) competition play. Yeah, the outlane saver would be nice in home play too. But...

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from soren:

As this is based on the 1.3X, the Tiger saw motor is not supported.
The mod is compatible with the Leon fix. But the game will not register hit on the Trunk while it is rotating. Which is the Leon solution.
For a home play setup, and if you have the Leon fix and like the Tiger saw spinning, I would not install this mod. Most of it is addressing (high level) competition play. Yeah, the outlane saver would be nice in home play too. But...

When you say.... "For a home play setup" is that because of legality? Why not a location where there is "high level" competition play... Asking for a friend.

#30 5 years ago

It was purely a personal evaluation if it is worth while. The trunk fix is by far the most appealing thing for a home play game. The way I see it.

#31 5 years ago

What’s next for you to fix up???

#32 5 years ago

Ok What fast ROM chips are you using on your ToM's ? .... the one that came with my game seems to not be marked in a way that I can read ... I have a couple of chips for BoP laying around but I could not get the game to boot after burning to those chips.
I also seem to have some SW issues when there is a lot of action on the table ... like the sounds are missing get skipped or are laggy, and until I catch a ball and things calm down they seem to be better ... was thinking that the chip used was maybe a lesser quality or speed of chip... dunno just guessing here ... anyways any help would be cool.

Thanks

#33 5 years ago

ROM chip speed is of no influence. If they are too slow, you would likely see crashes.

What you see might be normal behaviour. Stuff will be prioritiesed. Put in sequence or suppressed. For instance, on TOM if you hit left orbit in a combo, it will first present the combo effect. And then the THEATER effect.

If sound is stuttering or having silent pauses, you might have a problem with the sound board.

Ask for similar experience in the Theatre of Magic thread.

#34 5 years ago

Thanks soren .... what chips are you using to burn your roms?

#35 5 years ago

ST M27c4001

512 KB capasity. As most WPC games.

#36 5 years ago

if somebody emails me the finished file i will host it.
[email protected]

#37 5 years ago

Here is a link a patched rom (which I tested/used in my ToM): https://www.dropbox.com/s/f9x3q3v7tn2r6dz/tom1_3x-competition-patch-3d89.rom?dl=0 This is for 3d89

#38 5 years ago

The patch has been updated to 5bc8.

The first released one, the dc89, is perfectly fine. But please use the 5bc8 going forward on new installations.

Patch revision is shown on the start-up screen.

Thanks for the support. Sorry for any inconvenience.

1 week later
#40 5 years ago

Does this update work with Ingos Trunk-Opto-Board?

#41 5 years ago

The short answer is yes. The effect of the trunk board will still be there. Meaning that the Trunk will not register hits whilest rotating.

#42 5 years ago

Just bypass the board, as it is no longer needed!

1 week later
#43 5 years ago

Can anyone supply a couple of ROMs with these patches applied. I have two HUO toms, one being mint restored. Would be good to get fixed and balanced games.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from daspadger:

Can anyone supply a couple of ROMs with these patches applied. I have two HUO toms, one being mint restored. Would be good to get fixed and balanced games.

Look a couple of posts up.

1 week later
#45 5 years ago
Quoted from daspadger:

You can buy it at www.free-play.se
You want this one Theatre of Magic
Rev 1.3x patch 5bc8.

I bought mine there.

4 months later
#46 4 years ago

Due public demand, the code controlling the prototype Tiger saw motor has been ported from the rev. 1.4H ROM to the rev. 1.3X mod. With improvements - see the Readme.

This software is fine regardless if the motor mech is installed on the game or not. And the updated mod replaces the previously released one.

Based on the rev. 1.3X, the mod still requires the 1.3X security chip.

Special thanks to JSA.

Theatre Of Magic
Rev 1.3x patch 34ee
Download link: https://tinyurl.com/y66hyqej
Please read the Readme and follow the patch guide carefully.

Release note

Changes

The Trunk error handling procedure has been refined to not give a false positive during normal playing conditions with a healthy Trunk mech.

With secondary function to reset the error state in case of genuine in-game Trunk error (stock ball).
When tournament play selected: Opening/closing the coin door will reset the Trunk error state.

New feature adjustment A.2 21 "Spell theatre". Options: "Easy" and "Hard".
Easy: As rev. 1.3X. Spell theatre is lit except in the modes: Theatre, Lock multiball and Grand finale.
Hard: On THEATRE advance, the Spell theatre light will go off. Making a major shot in the game will re-light it.
Major shots considered: Trunk loop both ways, Trunk, both ramps and the right orbit. Not the left orbit.

Adjustment "Spell theatre" defaults.
Ex. easy, easy and medium pre-sets: Easy.
Hard and ex. hard pre-sets: Hard.

New feature adjustment A.2 22 "Combo max value". Options: 8M - 80M in 4M steps. Default: "20M".
On combo value build-up, when it reaches this value, it will stop incrementing.
Combo scoring will proceed at this value.

New feature adjustment A.2 23 "Bonus-x adv". Options: "1" and "2". Default: "1".
Bonus-x increment for each top lane completion. 1 or 2. With 2 being 1x->2x on first completion.

New feature adjustment A.2 24 "Hocus 2nd saver". Options: "No" and "Yes". Default: "Yes".
In single ball play only!
If the Hocus pocus outlane saver magnet fails, a compensation one shot ball saver will serve the ball to the plunger lane.
The feature only saves balls going to an outlane, that should have been saved to an inlane.

When tournament play selected: Basement awards.
A catch-up choice that will award progress on Illusions or Clock. Which ever is lacking behind the other.
Generally:
If the clock is 10 or 11 am, Madness is awarded.
If the clock progress is less than the Illusions progress, Adv. clock is awarded.
Else Illusion is awarded.
Special cases:
Illusion is not awarded if achieved for this Grand finale, if already lit, if one is currently running or when other states where an Illusion cannot be started at the Trunk.
Adv. clock/Madness is not awarded if achieved for this Grand finale.
If Illusion is not available, Adv. Clock is awarded if not achieved for this Grand finale.
If neither is available, 20 Million is awarded.

When tournament play selected: Limited ball search. No compensation locked balls release or free multiball.

The Tiger saw motor control has been ported from the rev. 1.4H software. And slightly improved.
It runs for a solid two seconds on a captive ball hit. Instead of the very short pulse in the 1.4H implementation.
In a Tiger saw mode and multiball combo, it stops when both modes are finished. And not when just the first of them finishes.

The max bonus-x 5M is awarding 5M points.

Midnight is corrected to be at 12 AM. Not 12 PM.

Adjustment A.1 28 "Min. vol override" defaults to "Yes".

Adjustment A.1 21 "Language" is limited to to "English".

Why it rocks

Not having the major mechanical feature go passive mid-game with compensation rules as a consequence.

Balancing the THEATRE objective difficulty.
Balancing combo shots payout.
Balancing bonus-x work/reward.

Having Illusions, Midnight madness and, ultimately, Grand finale more into play via Basement awards in competition play.

The outlane saver feature is 100%.

The prototype Tiger saw motor control is re-implemented.

Note

The false positive Trunk error trap was to start choiced Illusions by hitting the Trunk while rotating. Just before it reaches the open side.
The fix does not change the way the Trunk operates. Registering shots, the movement, timing etc.

Coin door error reset is designed for competition play, where a stock ball has caused the Trunk error.
Provided that the bottom coin door interlock switch is not fixed in the closed position.
Upon closing the coin door, allow a ball search to reset the Trunk to its correct position.

Spell theatre is always lit at start-of-ball.
Spell theatre is always lit when Theatre mode, Lock multiball and Grand finale finishes.

The Hocus pocus saver compensation works when the saver mechanism is broken (proximity switch or magnet).
But, requires inlane, outlane, trough and shooter lane switches to be in shape.

The Advance clock Basement award is +3.

The Tiger saw motor runs continuously in the Tiger saw mode and multiball.
And it is pulsed on a captive ball hit.
The motor is controlled by solenoid driver no. 19 (at J123-3 or J126-3).
Do not connect a motor directly. It must be connected via the proper EMI filter.

Max bonus-x is 8.

#47 4 years ago

Is there any chance a wizard mode for Grand Finale can ever be added to this game?

#48 4 years ago

if someone emails me the final bin file i'll host it for everyone.
[email protected]

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

if someone emails me the final bin file i'll host it for everyone.
[email protected]

Thanks Clay!

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from soren:

Due public demand, the code controlling the prototype Tiger saw motor has been ported from the rev. 1.4H ROM to the rev. 1.3X mod. With improvements - see the Readme.
This software is fine regardless if the motor mech is installed on the game or not. And the updated mod replaces the previously released one.
Based on the rev. 1.3X, the mod still requires the 1.3X security chip.
Special thanks to JSA.
Theatre Of Magic
Rev 1.3x patch 34ee
Download link: https://tinyurl.com/y66hyqej
Please read the Readme and follow the patch guide carefully.
Release note
Changes
The Trunk error handling procedure has been refined to not give a false positive during normal playing conditions with a healthy Trunk mech.
With secondary function to reset the error state in case of genuine in-game Trunk error (stock ball).
When tournament play selected: Opening/closing the coin door will reset the Trunk error state.
New feature adjustment A.2 21 "Spell theatre". Options: "Easy" and "Hard".
Easy: As rev. 1.3X. Spell theatre is lit except in the modes: Theatre, Lock multiball and Grand finale.
Hard: On THEATRE advance, the Spell theatre light will go off. Making a major shot in the game will re-light it.
Major shots considered: Trunk loop both ways, Trunk, both ramps and the right orbit. Not the left orbit.
Adjustment "Spell theatre" defaults.
Ex. easy, easy and medium pre-sets: Easy.
Hard and ex. hard pre-sets: Hard.
New feature adjustment A.2 22 "Combo max value". Options: 8M - 80M in 4M steps. Default: "20M".
On combo value build-up, when it reaches this value, it will stop incrementing.
Combo scoring will proceed at this value.
New feature adjustment A.2 23 "Bonus-x adv". Options: "1" and "2". Default: "1".
Bonus-x increment for each top lane completion. 1 or 2. With 2 being 1x->2x on first completion.
New feature adjustment A.2 24 "Hocus 2nd saver". Options: "No" and "Yes". Default: "Yes".
In single ball play only!
If the Hocus pocus outlane saver magnet fails, a compensation one shot ball saver will serve the ball to the plunger lane.
The feature only saves balls going to an outlane, that should have been saved to an inlane.
When tournament play selected: Basement awards.
A catch-up choice that will award progress on Illusions or Clock. Which ever is lacking behind the other.
Generally:
If the clock is 10 or 11 am, Madness is awarded.
If the clock progress is less than the Illusions progress, Adv. clock is awarded.
Else Illusion is awarded.
Special cases:
Illusion is not awarded if achieved for this Grand finale, if already lit, if one is currently running or when other states where an Illusion cannot be started at the Trunk.
Adv. clock/Madness is not awarded if achieved for this Grand finale.
If Illusion is not available, Adv. Clock is awarded if not achieved for this Grand finale.
If neither is available, 20 Million is awarded.
When tournament play selected: Limited ball search. No compensation locked balls release or free multiball.
The Tiger saw motor control has been ported from the rev. 1.4H software. And slightly improved.
It runs for a solid two seconds on a captive ball hit. Instead of the very short pulse in the 1.4H implementation.
In a Tiger saw mode and multiball combo, it stops when both modes are finished. And not when just the first of them finishes.
The max bonus-x 5M is awarding 5M points.
Midnight is corrected to be at 12 AM. Not 12 PM.
Adjustment A.1 28 "Min. vol override" defaults to "Yes".
Adjustment A.1 21 "Language" is limited to to "English".
Why it rocks
Not having the major mechanical feature go passive mid-game with compensation rules as a consequence.
Balancing the THEATRE objective difficulty.
Balancing combo shots payout.
Balancing bonus-x work/reward.
Having Illusions, Midnight madness and, ultimately, Grand finale more into play via Basement awards in competition play.
The outlane saver feature is 100%.
The prototype Tiger saw motor control is re-implemented.
Note
The false positive Trunk error trap was to start choiced Illusions by hitting the Trunk while rotating. Just before it reaches the open side.
The fix does not change the way the Trunk operates. Registering shots, the movement, timing etc.
Coin door error reset is designed for competition play, where a stock ball has caused the Trunk error.
Provided that the bottom coin door interlock switch is not fixed in the closed position.
Upon closing the coin door, allow a ball search to reset the Trunk to its correct position.
Spell theatre is always lit at start-of-ball.
Spell theatre is always lit when Theatre mode, Lock multiball and Grand finale finishes.
The Hocus pocus saver compensation works when the saver mechanism is broken (proximity switch or magnet).
But, requires inlane, outlane, trough and shooter lane switches to be in shape.
The Advance clock Basement award is +3.
The Tiger saw motor runs continuously in the Tiger saw mode and multiball.
And it is pulsed on a captive ball hit.
The motor is controlled by solenoid driver no. 19 (at J123-3 or J126-3).
Do not connect a motor directly. It must be connected via the proper EMI filter.
Max bonus-x is 8.

Many thanks soren for this! At this point, I see no reason to use 1.3 or 1.4H, as this code gives you everything.

soren just curious... Why not 1.3z?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-theatre-of-magic-software-mod-version-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.