• 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by soren
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

The patch has been removed.

#2 8 years ago

TOM patch is updated and available again.

Please discard any previous download and use the one of today.

#3 8 years ago

Is it possible to make the trunk simply try again and not go into error state?

#4 8 years ago

Yes it is. But it is too dangerous. You risk broken Trunk plastics, gears or motor. Or broken magnet and lamp wires. I am not intereted in leaving people with that risk without them being fully aware of it.

But the real problem - actually - is that if the open side is exposed and the Trunk seen as in operation, you are having give away sneaky locks.

To me this is an optimal solution. It covers all scenarios incl. flaky switches and tired worn gears/motor. And if it happens and the Trunk is only slightly off its correct position, you may let people play on without the need of neither have the glass off or a ball search conducted.

#5 8 years ago

Awesome update

#6 8 years ago

How are you able to update this code???

#7 8 years ago

Thank you this is a great update. We are always having various trunk issues through out our 8 week league and I always thought there should be a way to reset it without restarting the game. I'll burn this and let you know if I find any errors.

#8 8 years ago

One last suggestion. When the trunk thinks it's broken, a trunk test usually kicks it back into operation. What if when the trunk thinks it's broken it simply moved the opposite direction then a moment and tries to finish its original rotation and if that succeeds it clears the error. If not then to can go into broken status? It feels like you're super close to getting the trunk into a completely usable situation. It would be nice to have a solution that didn't involve opening the coin door. Is there also a timer in the code where the trunk needs to arrive to its designation in N milliseconds or it disables? It seems some while back I had a trunk that was a little slow and it constantly disabled itself. Perhaps upping that timer might also be very useful.

#9 8 years ago

Surely what you suggest is viable solutions. I thought along those lines myself. But went for a more generic solution.

#10 8 years ago

AWESOME work! This isn't a home ROM is it? Can it be used on location?

-Jay

#11 8 years ago

I'm a bit confused on the Xdelta3 software. I'm using line command mode, and i've shortened the files names to make it less likely of a typo. Here's what i've tried, unsuccessfully at the MS-DOS prompt...

xdelta3 -d -s tom_15c.xd3 -f tom_v3.040

(where "tom_15c.xd3" is the Xdelta3 mod file provided by Soren, and "tom_v3.040" is the original ROM file for Theater of magic.) The "-d" parameter is for decompress. The "-s" parameter is the source file. The "-f" parameter is the overright feature (will overwrite the original TOM rom file.)

This info is from the Xdelta web site:
==========================

The command-line syntax is like gzip, with the additional option -s SOURCE.
Like gzip, -d means to decompress. The default mode (-e) is to compress.
For output, -c and -f flags behave likewise (use standard output, force overwrite).
Unlike gzip, xdelta3 defaults to stdout (instead of having an automatic extension).
Without -s SOURCE, xdelta3 behaves like gzip for stdin/stdout purposes.

Compress examples:

xdelta3 -s SOURCE TARGET > OUT
xdelta3 -s SOURCE TARGET OUT
xdelta3 -s SOURCE < TARGET > OUT

Decompress examples:

xdelta3 -d -s SOURCE OUT > TARGET
xdelta3 -d -s SOURCE OUT TARGET
xdelta3 -d -s SOURCE < OUT > TARGET

There are several special command names, such as xdelta3 printdelta and xdelta3 test.

usage: xdelta3 [command/options] [input [output]]
special command names:
. . config prints xdelta3 configuration
. . decode decompress the input
. . encode compress the input
. . test run the builtin tests
special commands for VCDIFF inputs:
. . printdelta print information about the entire delta
. . printhdr print information about the first window
. . printhdrs print information about all windows
standard options:
-0 .. -9 compression level
-c use stdout
-d decompress
-e compress
-f force overwrite
-h show help
-q be quiet
-v be verbose (max 2)
-V show version
memory options:
-B bytes source window size
-W bytes input window size
compression options:
-s source source file to copy from (if any)
-S [djw|fgk] enable/disable secondary compression
-N disable small string-matching compression
-D disable external decompression (encode/decode)
-R disable external recompression (decode)
-n disable checksum (encode/decode)
-C soft config (encode, undocumented)
-A [apphead] disable/provide application header (encode)

The -A flag may be used to set application-specific data in the VCDIFF header (you may view with xdelta3 printhdr). By default, the application-specific data includes the source and input filenames, as well as descriptors to help with ExternalCompression. You can disable the application header with -A=.

#12 8 years ago

anyone?

#13 8 years ago

can you make the modes better? and make the wizard mode better? and make the scoring more adjusted?
i have and love the game but updated rules would be awesome.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

can you make the modes better? and make the wizard mode better? and make the scoring more adjusted?
i have and love the game but updated rules would be awesome.

This made me laugh, right there with you.
the scoring on this is more adjusted for tournament play, but as I hear the basement awards are not random any more on this which should be better for tournament and competitive play.

#15 8 years ago

Clay,

Try:

xdelta3 -d -f -s tom_15c.xd3 tom_v3.040

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Try:
xdelta3 -d -f -s tom_15c.xd3 tom_v3.040

thanks better but now says...
---
not a VCDIFF input: xd3_invalid_input
Normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent
---
All the file names are correct too. can't figure out what i'm doing wrong here...

#17 8 years ago

Anyone install this with the Leon Trunk board??? Wondering if there are any issues??

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

thanks better but now says...
---
not a VCDIFF input: xd3_invalid_input
Normally this indicates that the source file is incorrect
please verify the source file with sha1sum or equivalent
---
All the file names are correct too. can't figure out what i'm doing wrong here...

Clay,

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html

Get the SHA1 hash of the file(s) to make sure nothing changed.

Marc

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Clay,
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html
Get the SHA1 hash of the file(s) to make sure nothing changed.
Marc

Ok i did that and they check out fine. any other ideas maybe? thanks!
or does someone just want to email me the patch TOM rom file?
[email protected]

#20 8 years ago

Assuming because it's 1.3 the Tiger saw mod isn't supported? Is this patched for LED's?

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

Thank you this is a great update. We are always having various trunk issues through out our 8 week league and I always thought there should be a way to reset it without restarting the game. I'll burn this and let you know if I find any errors.

If you are having the trunk stop working it is because the trunk is moving to slow and the game programing stops it.
20 year old game with 20 year old motor.
To get the trunk working correctly.

1. Email kimballspinballs and ask him for a new motor.
2. Reflow motor controller board.
3. Clean gearbox with break cleaner and regrease with super lube.
Don't skimp on the motor and use only the super lube!
My trunk has worked perfectly after I did this over a year ago.
The motor was about $90 with shipping as I recall but it restored this part of the game, a very important part as it is.

This Rom update should balance the scoring in tournaments and league play.
Fix the slow trunk problem correctly and you shall be rewarded.

Best wishes to all.
RVH

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Ok i did that and they check out fine. any other ideas maybe? thanks!
or does someone just want to email me the patch TOM rom file?
[email protected]

I only run Mac OS X, so I cannot make it for you, sorry. Hopefully someone else can.

Marc

#23 8 years ago

Clay, hang on. Looking into this.
I think this is the command line you need by the way:

xdelta3.exe -d -s tom1_3x.rom "Theatre Of Magic U6 game ROM rev 15C.xd3" tompatched.rom

To make matters more complicated, the only binary for xdelta I could find for windows is xdelta3 gui which is compiled off an old version without LZMA compression support. So you'd have to recompile it from source (what a pain).

I tried it on one of my Linux machines:
sudo apt-get install xdelta3
then
xdelta3 -d -s tom1_3x.rom tom.xd3 tompatched.rom

And that seems to have worked.
http://pinballbulbs.com/files/tompatched.rom

#24 8 years ago

bingo thanks mark!

using your syntax and my files, at the DOS prompt, i used:
C:\tom_rom>xdelta3 -d -s tom_v13.040 tom_v15c.xd3 tom_v15c.040

this created the new "tom_v15c.040" file from the original "tom_v13.040" file using the "tom_v15c.xd3" patch file.
thank you!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

How are you able to update this code???

#26 8 years ago

I think he is dissembling the assembly code, hence the patch.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I think he is dissembling the assembly code, hence the patch.

Yep, no joking aside, the guy is a genius to be able to work at this level.

Quoted from cfh:

bingo thanks mark!
using your syntax and my files, at the DOS prompt, i used:
C:\tom_rom>xdelta3 -d -s tom_v13.040 tom_v15c.xd3 tom_v15c.040
this created the new "tom_v15c.040" file from the original "tom_v13.040" file using the "tom_v15c.xd3" patch file.
thank you!

Hey where did you find the windows xdelta3.exe binary that worked with this?

#28 8 years ago

the windows xdelta3.exe for windows came from the xdelta website.

5 months later
1 week later
#30 7 years ago

Is it possible to patch the 1.4 tiger saw ROM if I am already using that code or does it only work with the 1.3 code

1 year later
#31 5 years ago

I have no idea how your able to understand assembly language, that shit is crazy.... Great to see a lot of these older games get fixed where they need it.

Quoted from fusion301:

Is it possible to patch the 1.4 tiger saw ROM if I am already using that code or does it only work with the 1.3 code

I'd be curious about this any idea if it makes a difference? I know they said there was another software reset bug... think I've only seen it once though.

1 month later
#32 5 years ago

For Theatre of Magic there is two problems of making a mod based on the rev 1.4H revision.

First, why did they release it with a different security chip? Makes no sense. This will add to the trouble that people will have to go through to install a mod. Of course one could make it work for the standard (or both) security chips. But...

Second, the knowledge of rev. 1.3X is much much greater. For the same reasons. Better to base a mod on something tested to the point where all the quirky ins and outs are known.

For Cirqus Voltaire and Twilight Zone it would be different. Those games' semi-officielt H roms have been de-facto for a long time now.

However. If there are any bug fixes from 1.3X to 1.4H, I'd like to know of these.

#33 5 years ago

On the PIC issue you can run "anypic.exe" on the ROM and it will run with any PIC chip (even from another game title.) I do this on most of my roms as a default, so i can switch CPU boards between games without having to change the PIC chip.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

On the PIC issue you can run "anypic.exe" on the ROM and it will run with any PIC chip (even from another game title.) I do this on most of my roms as a default, so i can switch CPU boards between games without having to change the PIC chip.

What operating system does it work on? I thought it needed an older version of Windows.

#35 5 years ago

Writing this post, I vaguely remembered that there had been some workaround the security chip. I just did not realise that it was (amongst other stuff) such a universal procedure. Well, that should at least make it easier to get the 1.4H installed all around.

But, does the 1.4H add/change other stuff than the saw motor and the center post?

Thanks, Clay. Any chance of new content on the Ninja front? Just a little once in awhile, please. The unusual issues. Cheers.

#36 5 years ago

Hi Soren,

I would like to patch a normal 1.3 game rom with the trunk fix only, but leave everything else as it is (scoring, no tournament mode, etc.). Can you publish a version of the delta which does only add the reset of the trunk error during a game without the need to go into the test mode?

Thanks and kind regards,
Lars

ps: I would also be able to make the changes by myself in the rom, if you could advise what to change...

2 months later
#37 5 years ago

Why is this patch no longer available?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-theatre-of-magic-custom-competition-rom?hl=pb_lawww and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.