(Topic ID: 77742)

New tester runs coming soon, any requests?

By HHaase

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I'm down to the last few of my solenoid tester boards, and also the lamp matrix boards. I've started using a new board house and CAD program since I last did a run of either layout, so have to re-draw them again before sending out for the new run. For those of you not familiar with them, you can see the lineup at www.siegecraft.us

I figured that since I'm doing fresh layouts anyway, I'd ask for feedback on any tweaks you guys may be interested in before I submit the orders.

-Hans

#2 10 years ago

As a follow-up to a couple requests I have had....

Unfortunately, I can't find a way to make the solenoid testers easier to remove. They do get easier over time, and trimming off the locking tabs helps as well, but I haven't been able to find the connectors without locking tabs.

Solenoid LED testers have already been updated to have test points on both sides, instead of hard-wiring in the alligator clip lead. Special solenoid switch boards will be updated the same way as well, I'm just waiting to sell out of existing stock on the ones already built with the wire hard-wired in place.

Yes, I am going to do more Firepower EPROM adapter boards. I didn't realize BAA was sold out, or I would have done them sooner. I just need to re-draw the layout in KiCad.

-Hans

3 weeks later
    #3 10 years ago

Last call on this one, board orders going out in a couple days for the solenoid and lamp matrix boards....

#4 10 years ago

How about coming up with some sort of Gottlieb System 80 tester?

#5 10 years ago

It's definitely on my list of things I'd love to do. The only limitation is I haven't had any real chance to get my hands on system 80 hardware to see what they even need. I'm all for it, but I'd need outside help to develop.

-Hans

#6 10 years ago

Hi Hans,

Just a little thought - on the lamp matrix tester, can you squeeze on some text showing the row and column numbers around the LED matrix? I know it's not difficult to count, but I think it would be nice if it fits.

As for the special solenoid switch test boards, could you make the DIP switches momentary ones? When using the test switches with the board connected to the actual machine, in a lot of situations you only want a quick on/off (think pop bumper) to avoid things getting hot, and flicking the DIP on and then off is a bit fiddly. Again not so important, and maybe there are situations where you want to latch them on, but it's an idea anyway

cheers
    Mark

#7 10 years ago

Standalone 6821 pia chip tester.

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

Just a little thought - on the lamp matrix tester, can you squeeze on some text showing the row and column numbers around the LED matrix? I know it's not difficult to count, but I think it would be nice if it fits.

[Edit] Sorry just noticed that comment was referring to marking rows/cols around the perimeter of the dot matrix display and not the header pins. I could see where marking cols/rows around the dot matrix could be somewhat helpful.

Probably a good to add a key pin and include the Molex keying pin with the harness materials. That way when you go to reconnect the harness each time you don't accidentally plug it in backwards. Key pins should be standard for just about every design if plugging in backwards could produce unwanted results or cause the product to not function.. even if it would then just require the user to flip the plug around to the other position.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Keep trying Clay, eventually someone will make one

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

Just a little thought - on the lamp matrix tester, can you squeeze on some text showing the row and column numbers around the LED matrix?

Easy, and done.

The next run of these will be delayed a bit, my last order of LED blocks came in and they shipped me the wrong size. I have a feeling it will take a while to sort out, but thankfully I still have about a dozen of the old ones still in stock.

Quoted from Snux:

As for the special solenoid switch test boards, could you make the DIP switches momentary ones?

If I can find a compatible part, sure thing. Definitely a useful idea. But I don't know if the right sized parts are available in momentary. I don't sell enough of them to justify a stand-alone board layout though just for the special solenoids if I'd need to use a different format switch.

Quoted from cfh:

I know of one under development.

Regarding keying pins, I agree they would be a great idea. It's unfortunate that I didn't think about it until after I ordered a thousand 16 pin connectors.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from HHaase:

Regarding keying pins, I agree they would be a great idea. It's unfortunate that I didn't think about it until after I ordered a thousand 16 pin connectors.

Oh that's easy to solve! Just drop one of the rows or columns.. lol.

1 week later
    #12 10 years ago

Nah, for some reason I think I want to keep the whole 8x8 matrix going.... Just a hunch.

New batch of solenoid tester pcb's are due here tomorrow, and since I ordered twice as many as last time it's dropped the cost. And while it's not running yet, labor time is going to drop like a rock once I get my wave machine in action. So I'm dropping the price on these $1 each. Still no luck in tracking down momentary dip switches, but I will at the very least try to get some that are easier to operate on the next parts order.

-Hans

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

Sounds like a pretty easy job for a Atmel ATMEGA microcontroller.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tester-runs-coming-soon-any-requests and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.