Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by luckymoey
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

After watching a news report tonight about the new tariffs taking effect January 1st. Almost everything is going up 24%!! NIB Pro models will now be the price of a premium or close to it.

#2 5 years ago

Lol if that happens it will be passed on to the consumer and manufacturers will go out of business as they will lose a ton of buyers. Prices are too high as it is. It’s a shame just as there has been a resurgence in pinball.

#3 5 years ago

Most of the parts of a pinball machine are made in China!

#4 5 years ago

Pinball prices are going through the roof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

#5 5 years ago

I don't know with Stern's buying power they would just stockpile a warehouse full of parts and then just pass the savings onto the consumer.

#6 5 years ago

I have zero knowledge of what is sourced from China in a pinball machine, but Stern seems to proudly put the Made in USA sticker on the outside of each one, this is their chance to put it on the inside too.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

I have zero knowledge of what is sourced from China in a pinball machine, but Stern seems to proudly put the Made in USA sticker on the outside of each one, this is their chance to put it on the inside too.

It's the sticker that's Made In USA and the Glass

#8 5 years ago

I would be surprised if even 10% of the bits that go into a machine could be sourced in North America, let alone USA.

Tariffs may push prices up by 25%, but if Stern had to start manufacturing every single thing that goes into a machine, I bet prices would be up more than 25%.

#9 5 years ago

Prices in this hobby are already insane. I doubt this will have an impact here except to drive up the cost of existing games even more.

#10 5 years ago

Right now NIB price increases are driven by the consumer demand not by the BOM, so very little impact based on tariffs.

In addition the imported parts probably make up a lot smaller portion of cost than people think.

The real cost of the boards and screen are pretty low and importing a bunch of plastic and pressed metal parts is ridiculously cheap. Assembling these parts costs way more than sourcing them.

What isn’t imported? At a minimum-
    Cabinet
    Playfield
    Labor
    Licensing
    Overhead

These make up a large portion of the cost of the machine. None subject to tariffs.

#11 5 years ago

I can hear Gary Stern now. January 2019 tariffs are the reason for our recent price increases. Whether it's the truth or BS.

#12 5 years ago

BS

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for pointing that out you're the best. DRAIN IT

#15 5 years ago

Did the major corporate tax cut lower prices. Supply and demand in the market will mainly set price.

China isn’t the only country were you can source pinball parts. There are a number of even lower cost countries for the simplistic plastic moldings, metal fabrications and electronics involved.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-tariffs-going-to-effect-nib-prices-?hl=jjhlh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.